Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sn ype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

feel the kem

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
tight kerning makes a design dean and modem

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

tight keming makes a design dean and modem

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

tight kerning makes a design dean and modem

good kerning shouldn't do that but too many people just go "-50? well it's ok but... -100 is where it's at" and don't bother doing pairs like you're supposed to

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the font the forums use is absolute dogshit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

the font the forums use is absolute dogshit

well yeah it's free and good fonts cost money

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

roboto is not my fav font and it's annoying how often it gets used in websites

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

google lato is the worst poo poo though, as evidenced by the ligatures last page

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
what is the best typeface for my blog

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i want one that says to people "i may blog about boring poo poo, but i have great taste in typefaces"

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

big scary monsters posted:

i want one that says to people "i may blog about boring poo poo, but i have great taste in typefaces"

Helvetica or Garamond. hth

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what is the best typeface for my blog

Jonny 290 posted:

here you go appropriate for OP's composition level

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
LIBERATION SANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

futura

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

back to the futura

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

your posts are already written in something called "humor sans"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Fixedsys or Times New Roman

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hed posted:

:shittypop:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hed posted:

:chanpop:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Something from lineto or commercial type. people wil lknow you're rich too

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Hed posted:

:supaburn:

thanks for all the great suggestions friends, i've decided to go with computer modern. it has all the style and class of times new roman but with that little twist that lets you know i'm a real font connoisseur

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

thanks for all the great suggestions friends, i've decided to go with computer modern. it has all the style and class of times new roman but with that little twist that lets you know i'm a real font connoisseur

i like TeX and all but computer modern is hideous, especially on-screen

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
yeah i'm kinda sick of it in my documents tbh. i tried switching to whatever the default latex sans family is, which is a nice change but it doesn't work properly with maths environments. and i haven't had a bad enough day at work recently to want to try seriously font janitoring my latex

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

make sure to do this by actually just sending TeX from your server that a JavaScript implementation of TeX and Metafont render client-side

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

make sure to do this by actually just sending TeX from your server that a JavaScript implementation of TeX and Metafont render client-side

don't even joke about that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yeah i'm kinda sick of it in my documents tbh. i tried switching to whatever the default latex sans family is, which is a nice change but it doesn't work properly with maths environments. and i haven't had a bad enough day at work recently to want to try seriously font janitoring my latex

also sans serif is poo poo for reading long-form text so your environment was right to punish you for trying to use a sans serif font

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

don't even joke about that

what the gently caress happened to TeX these past couple decades anyway? I had a PowerBook 520 in college, and with 120MB of disk I had plenty of room for not just all the usual stuff like the OS, a word processor, a mail client, a browser, and CodeWarrior, but even room for a serious editor (Alpha) and a LaTeX environment to use with it

now the "lite" TeX distribution is larger than that entire drive

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eschaton posted:

also sans serif is poo poo for reading long-form text so your environment was right to punish you for trying to use a sans serif font

modern sans fonts aren't so bad for this, a lot of that conventional wisdom is back from the letterpress days where it was likely there'd be misalignnment plus if any of your users are on primitive low resolution non-retina displays serifs can get muddy

biggest problem with readability online is people make the text column too wide

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i set almost all of my stuff in various futuras or garamonds. i enjoy futura condensed a lot.

as far as free fonts go, i've become a fan of raleway. nice geometric one that kinda splits the weirdness difference between futura and kabel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i like avenir more than futura

• Locked thread