Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Aesculus posted:

Does this game have crushing weapons and jaws? I remember in the other robot wars game, I think complete destruction, you could get both pincers and a crushing claw and the physics would completely break once you started on an enemy. Maybe try building that for your next robot.

Yes it does, Rambo 2 and Timmy mallet both had gripping weapons which were dodgy at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Aesculus posted:

Does this game have crushing weapons and jaws? I remember in the other robot wars game, I think complete destruction, you could get both pincers and a crushing claw and the physics would completely break once you started on an enemy. Maybe try building that for your next robot.

It does indeed but they're really pretty awful. The game models the hit detection for them very poorly and it makes it difficult to tell what's actually going on with them.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, seems like we haven't brought this up in the thread yet, soooo... the Storm 2 controversy. For the record, having now seen all seven main series, Storm 2 is my favorite bot as far as robots themselves go (of course, for character and the like, the Plunderbird boys take the top spot).

Storm 2 was essentially a refined Tornado design. Tornado still had weapons, but Storm 2 came to the same conclusion I came to in Arenas of Destruction: "You know, who the gently caress needs real weapons anyway? Let's just make our robot really god drat fast and bash them to poo poo using the walls!" And boy howdy, was it successful. Outpacing everybody, Storm 2 was the first and only one to slam an opponent out of the arena without using a moving weapon, doing so to the Steel Avenger in the heat finals.

Storm 2 started out by winning the New Blood competition in Robot Wars Extreme 2. However, the producers at Mentorn were worried about how "boring" Storm 2 was, being an even more distilled version of the rambot than previous rambots.

Mentorn blog posted:

What the audience wants is a robot that when they see it on display or just entering the arena, they think...WOW! Rambots never really have that appeal, as they’re usually just boxes on wheels. With robots with moving weapons, there is a sense of theatre and drama; when sparks fly from the attack of a flywheel, or a robot flying in the air after an attack from a flipper. All that rambots seem to deliver is a push and a shove, yes they win the battle, but it doesn’t win our imaginations, or the fans'.

So a rule was added, which required Storm 2 to add an active weapon. They responded by grudgingly adding a lifting arm - and really, it was blink-and-you-miss-it. They hardly ever used it because they didn't need it, and this would be the source of more controversy later. Anyway, Storm 2 blazes through its heat with authority.

The semi-finals were coming, and Mentorn was apparently getting worried.

Storm 2's website posted:

Our emphatic win in the heats of Series 7 hadn't gone un-noticed by the crew and the company that make Robot Wars. Worried by Storm II's cruise to victory in the New Blood competition they had brought in a new rule (to try to exclude heavily armour machines like Storm II) from taking part. Now Storm II was looking as unstoppable as it did during the New Blood competition of Robot Wars Extreme, and the rumours around the pits was that Mentorn (the company that make Robot Wars) weren't happy. The last thing they wanted after Tornado's win in Series 6 is another 'box' winning the competition.

Storm 2 faced down with The Grim Reaper in the first match of the semi-finals, and nothing much controversial going on here. However, this is where the controversy really started brewing. The Storm 2 boys would install side skirts on their robot to combat the flipper of The Grim Reaper, and Fargle will probably agree with me when I say that making your robot more like Panic Attack is never a bad idea. Really, at this point, Storm 2 had become an invertible Panic Attack, just one that didn't use the lifting mechanism and instead went really loving fast.

It was a good fight, and Storm 2 went on. Technical problems almost forced Storm 2 to resign, but some help by Team Tornado saw them fixed in time for the fight against Firestorm V.

The fight against Firestorm V was where the controversy really started to get going, though you wouldn't see it on TV. Storm 2 took excellent advantage of what they thought to be a weakness of Firestorm - bash up against their front enough and they would no longer be able to go under Storm 2, and as a flipper, that essentially means being a useless hunk of junk. With Firestorm severely weakened, Storm 2 disposed of them, but there was controversy afoot - reportedly, the producers claimed that since Storm 2 did not use their active weapon, they should be disqualified. However, for all the poo poo we give the judges, they refused to be part of that bullshit and let Storm 2 go through.

Then comes the first fight of the Grand Final - the fight against Tornado. Now Mentorn starts getting really desperate. Storm 2 fights well, the pit gets activated, and Tornado goes down the pit. Or at least that's what you would have thought! If you were there, you would have seen Tornado go down the pit, and the pit suddenly raising, allowing Tornado to escape! On the TV, they instead edit it in such a way that suggests that Tornado was on the pit before it went down and made a "miraculous" escape. The fight goes to the judges even though it shouldn't have, but Storm 2 would not be denied, and they go through to the big Grand Final, to face Typhoon 2. And that's when things got really crazy.

So, as you would expect out of a matchup like this, Storm 2 uses its speed to constantly pressure Typhoon 2 and keep it from spinning up, but eventually, Typhoon 2 manages to get away and actually spin up. Then, Typhoon 2 smashes into the arena wall and breaks the poo poo out of it, knocking the crap out of its disk and stopping it from spinning. Cease was immediately called and the damage was repaired. However, then, controversy strikes again.

Storm 2 website posted:

Typhoon 2 were allowed to FIX their weapon system so that they could spin up. At this point Team Storm decided this was all too much and lodged a protest with Mentorn. Typhoon's disk wasn't spinning up properly long before they hit the wall - so why should they be allowed to repair damage mid fight.

The answer that Mentorn gave was that they would have to 'Edit out' the arena being smashed as it wouldn't be appropriate to show that on TV and thus they had to 'maintain continuity'. We were assured that this wasn't being done to be unfair, but was being done to maintain consistency in the show. We pointed out again that Typhoon had been having problems long before they hit the wall, but it was clear Mentorn didn't care.

Of course, the editing out was never actually done. It seems like one last-ditch effort to keep Typhoon 2, which had been essentially taken out of the fight, in the running. To somehow manage to keep Storm 2 from winning. However, while they tried to hide their fuckery, there are some things that you can actually see that were done. For instance, on the restart, Typhoon 2 was already spinning at full speed, even though they totally shouldn't have been allowed to do so. So Storm 2 keeps up the attack and keeps doing damage to Typhoon 2, but Storm 2 takes some armor plate damage as well.

The fight goes to the judges, and Mentorn throws out their final gambit - they tell the judges that there was no damage done to Typhoon 2, even though there was severe internal damage done to it. With that false information, the minor damage that was the armor plate lost on Storm 2 turns into the major factor, and Typhoon 2 wins on the judges' decision.

Storm 2 website posted:

Mentorn the producers of the show had at last managed to stop Storm II from winning, they'd apparently tried to throw us out for not using our active weapon against Firestorm. They'd brought the pit back up to let Tornado get back into the fight against us, and they'd finally resorted to allowing a robot be repaired mid-fight in the name of 'continuity' and totally ignoring all the damage that had been done to Typhoon 2, to concentrate on an armour panel and it's supports.

Afterwards when the judges found out that Typhoon had lost drive chains, and the extent of the repairs they had made behind the scenes Team Storm got apologies from all of them - one in writing.

The way the system works is after a fight Mentorn hand the judges a piece of paper detailing the damage to each robot. On the sheet for Typhoon 2, Mentorn had listed 'no damage'. Mentorn showed footage of the judges inspecting the damage from the robots, and you saw part of the front scoop of Storm II being given to the judges, but no-one told them that Typhoon had lost drive chains from inside the robot. It was sad day for Team Storm, but it did get us automatic qualification into the World Championships.

Storm 2 got completely and utterly hosed, and it was the cherry on top of the poo poo cake that was Series 7. Like Fargle said, don't watch it. It's terrible.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which quite a lot of things blow up.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Siberia is the best arena.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic, McD and I discuss the build quality of disused Russian missile bunkers.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh hey, now I get to do this for once!

Towa:

Chassis: Bevelled wedge - 500 credits, 15 kg
Locomotion: 2 standard tracks - 500 credits, 5 kg each
Locomotion: Caster - free, 0 kg
Power: Yuarta 400 24V sealed lead acid battery - 800 credits, 9 kg
Drive: 6 Drakonvlast 800W 24V DC electric motor - 350 credits, 3 kg each
Weapon: Large built-in flipper - 1600 credits, 7 kg
Armor: Titanium - 5000 credits, 12 kg
Extras: Green Jungle color

Total: 11000 credits, 71 kg (Heavyweight)

Strengths: Fits the tournament restrictions, can kind of push, can theoretically self-right (?)
Weaknesses: Can’t do any actual damage, just pushes bots around, flippers are poo poo in this game

Pre-Mortem Design Notes: The second Green Machine was built for the sake of winning the Russian flipper-only tournament. Primarily, this thing wins by going past Shunt to the top, opening the pit, then shoving other bots in it or hoping the opponents drive over the mines and/or into Sir Killalot’s clutches. Much like her brother machine, Fujisaki [ed. note: the machine I built to win the Liberty Lightweight tournament - I planned on busting that one out too, but Super Pooper was up to the task], Towa won her tournament on the first try (at least after failing the first time and the redesign that ensued afterwards) without any real testing, which is always nice.

Post-Mortem: Turns out all the design in the world doesn't help with the x-factor that is somebody else driving your machine. Especially when that somebody is Fargle. Still, I'm going to take Fargle saying that Towa was something he could steer well enough as a victory.

EDIT: While we're at it, here are the intros for the next two arenas we've seen:

New York: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-x5luauI4
Siberia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vChLwBHCrGc

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 7, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which we are World Champions.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Also, in which we get really really confused about Chaos 2's backplate.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Also, in which we get really really confused about Chaos 2's backplate.

THAT'S what stand out to you about this ep?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Captain Fargle posted:

THAT'S what stand out to you about this ep?

I spent like half the time of the recording staring at the Robot Wars wiki page for Chaos 2, so yeah, that's what stood out to me the most.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

[img]

And so we begin the gran finale of Arenas!

The audio in these last episodes is super quiet because of a massive slew of technical issues and this was the only way we could get the game running at all after the previous recording setup decided to just stop working altogether. You'll have to turn your volume up for these. Super sorry.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The most dangerous obstacle of all.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The title of this one speaks for itself.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Oh hey! I'm not dead!

Lotta important real life stuff's been going lately and finishing off the hot mess of technical issues that has been this LP just didn't really seem all that important compared to finding somewhere to live that I can actually afford. Anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kKje3KRAPE

Here's the finale of the Arenas LP! McD and I set up a race to see who could beat all the House Robots with Hypnodisc first. This first vid is from my perspective. (Got the super quiet audio issues again which decided to pop back up for the shitfest that was the final recording session)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfZ0np6P4tU

And here it is from McD's point of view! (You should watch this one. His audio didn't poo poo itself.)

After we got done with this McD found a compatible decompiler and started digging into the files of the game. It turns out that the way we did it is actually the only way to beat Sir Killalot. His HP is so high that no robot or weapon combo in the game can actually wear it down before time runs out and it goes to the judges. :eng101:

Either way. That's it for Arenas of Destruction. Just wanna say thanks for putting up with our crap to you folks who've sat through "Let's Play Captain Fargle's Incompetence At Video Production". Quite frankly I'm kinda embarrased about having put up this LP at all given all the issues we've had with it. That said, it's still been fun and if we ever manage to get the sequel working satisfactorily (When I tried to set it up the installer CTD'd) then the gang and I will be back with Extreme Destruction!

Until then,

It's been an unmitigated disaster,

and we've served you a full course,

perhaps we'll see you next time,

here on Let's Play Robot Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

In retrospect, the successful self-righting on my part was less about the srimech actually working and more about Shunt shoving me in just the right way. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, though.

• Locked thread