Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Alright, so I notice there is no Roomba thread and I just forked over 400+ dollars for an older model (the 650)

I am very surprised no one on SA has talked about these fascinating little robots.

There are currently 5 models to choose from: the 650, 770, 870, 880, and 980 here is the comparison from Roomba's site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I too have a robot cleaning slave! It's a 651 (aka the 650 with a firmware update cause why let Europeans update their firmware when you can sell them a whole new model!)
I gotta say that I'm pretty surprised how well it handles my pretty weird apartment. And it's pretty cool that it cleans under my kitchen. I have to clean it pretty often though since we have three long haired people in this household and it really can't handle long hair.
Big design flaw though: the black/white wheel it uses to determine its speed is in front of the cleaning mechanisms. So it gets all the hair and dirt first and tends to get stuck if not cleaned regularly.
I didn't even notice at first but the roomba suddenly started stopping in the middle of the room and changing direction. Then I noticed the wheel was barely turning. It also fucks up the return to its dock since it cant handle the discrepancy in signals from the dock and the wheel.
The dock also easily gets pushed around when it cant find the charging connectors on first try which can lead to it being pushed somewhere inaccessible and the roomba making the sad noise.

Generally I'm pretty happy I bought it. My wife too.

Is there something like a button lock on it though? Getting up at night to turn it off because the cat sat on it and turned it on is no fun...the bastard doesn't even ride it.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I've got an old 535 I've had for years up and die this week, and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with 3rd party repair? When it sits on the dock the charge and power lights flash and make a clicking sound, and it won't charge when plugged directly in. I went through the iRobot troubleshooting and they told me to just buy a new one. The 3rd party sites will do a free diagnostic, I figure it's worth a try?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Just as an fyi/coupon, Bed bath and beyond always has a 15% off coupon and they carry roombas, nice way to save some :10bux: if you're in the US. Love my 770, had a neato xv-21 that worked for awhile but died (even after replacing the batteries). Roomba is more chaotic but who cares if you're letting it run while away at work?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
It says the 650 can only do one room but I had mine do my whole 2nd floor last night which has a CRAZY layout. It managed to do it ok. It did run out of battery the second time I think because my bedroom has a very weird setup and it kept missing the doorway. It picked up a lot of dog hair (I have one yellow lab) and a bunch of other stuff. I've cleaned the filter out twice. next week I'll do an entire clean of the unit. I am happy with it's performance and it was definitely worth the money.

As for 3rd party sites, I guess it depends on how much they are going to charge to repair it. I mean if it's more than 200 dollars you might as well just buy a new unit right?

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Roomba won't do black carpets, y'all!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are these any better after a decade? My parents had one in 2005 and they seemed super gimmicky. I read reviews on another one (can't remember the name right now) that actually uses LiDAR instead of spiraling and bumping into everything and that seemed like a much better bet.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Dr Cox MD posted:

Roomba won't do black carpets, y'all!

I heard it's not good on any dark carpets actually. That the dirt detection system is based on the dark colors in the carpet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bought one for a family member 6 years ago. It died within 2 years and I got Best Buy to replace it since I had an extended warranty. That one died 2 years later (notice a trend?) and since it was out of warranty I ordered a battery replacement kit from eBay and it still runs fine on the new battery.

There used to be some guy on eBay who would repair Roombas for like $50 if you mailed it to him, but I have no idea if he's still around.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

EugeneJ posted:

Bought one for a family member 6 years ago. It died within 2 years and I got Best Buy to replace it since I had an extended warranty. That one died 2 years later (notice a trend?) and since it was out of warranty I ordered a battery replacement kit from eBay and it still runs fine on the new battery.

There used to be some guy on eBay who would repair Roombas for like $50 if you mailed it to him, but I have no idea if he's still around.

I thought the batteries tend to last about 18 months and then had to be replaced?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Well the 650 definitely can't do the whole floor, two days in a row it died in another room. I guess I'll end up forking over 1000 bucks for the 890 or wait for it to go on sale.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
IMO the Neato BotVac series is the better buy.. Cheaper, they all can do multiple rooms, they all use LiDAR to get around, they all auto return to the base, will resume a previous job if the battery dies, etc..

I have a BotVac 70e https://www.neatorobotics.com/robot-vacuum/botvac/, (the only difference between the various BotVac models is the included accessories and the LiDAR cover color!, It was cheaper at the time to buy the low end model and buy the upgraded accessories separately.) Paid $330 for it new on Amazon about 9 months ago.

Like all Neato bots it primarily uses LiDAR, along with IR wall sensing/edge detection and bump switches to get around. It will go around the perimeter edge of a area first and then do a back and forth pattern in the middle area. If it runs into something like a table leg, it will circle around it usually twice while hugging right up against it before moving on.

I have a ~1,000 Sq.Ft house that is about 50/50 carpet/laminate floors. The BotVac will do the entire house on a single charge and takes just under an hour to do so. If it does run low on charge it will return to the dock, charge, and then go back to where it left off and finish the job. I have it scheduled to run 3 times a week. All told, I'm happy with it. I do still occasionally run the regular vacuum, but the house stays overall cleaner with the BotVac running throughout the week.

The older VX series had problems with the LiDAR units wearing out since they used contact brushes to conduct power and data to the spinning portion of the LiDAR scanner; once the brushes wore out, it started having problems. The BotVac and later models use inductive power transfer and optical data transfer to solve this problem.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 17, 2016

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

stevewm posted:

IMO the Neato BotVac series is the better buy.. Cheaper, they all can do multiple rooms, they all use LiDAR to get around, they all auto return to the base, will resume a previous job if the battery dies, etc..

I have a BotVac 70e https://www.neatorobotics.com/robot-vacuum/botvac/, (the only difference between the various BotVac models is the included accessories and the LiDAR cover color!, It was cheaper at the time to buy the low end model and buy the upgraded accessories separately.) Paid $330 for it new on Amazon about 9 months ago.

Like all Neato bots it primarily uses LiDAR, along with IR wall sensing/edge detection and bump switches to get around. It will go around the perimeter edge of a area first and then do a back and forth pattern in the middle area. If it runs into something like a table leg, it will circle around it usually twice while hugging right up against it before moving on.

I have a ~1,000 Sq.Ft house that is about 50/50 carpet/laminate floors. The BotVac will do the entire house on a single charge and takes just under an hour to do so. If it does run low on charge it will return to the dock, charge, and then go back to where it left off and finish the job. I have it scheduled to run 3 times a week. All told, I'm happy with it. I do still occasionally run the regular vacuum, but the house stays overall cleaner with the BotVac running throughout the week.

The older VX series had problems with the LiDAR units wearing out since they used contact brushes to conduct power and data to the spinning portion of the LiDAR scanner; once the brushes wore out, it started having problems. The BotVac and later models use inductive power transfer and optical data transfer to solve this problem.

I thought about getting the neato but I read many reports that it was aggressive about trying to go over things instead of bumping and turning it would try to run over things that the LIDAR didn't detect.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are the boundary things for the neato required? Is it going to fall down a stairwell or crash into my sunken living room if I don't demarc it?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Darkpriest667 posted:

I thought about getting the neato but I read many reports that it was aggressive about trying to go over things instead of bumping and turning it would try to run over things that the LIDAR didn't detect.

The vac does have a fairly aggressive climb, but it needs it to make transitions between some floor types as these can be quite high. Some small objects are likely to be run over like cat toys or plastic soda bottle caps, though this isn't any different from any other vacuum. The only issue I had with the climb was my front door. There is a fairly large and steep gap between my main door and screen door. If the main door is open, the vac will usually climb up into this gap. It realizes though and backs out after a second or two. To stop this from happening I laid down a small strip of the magnetic barrier tape. The vac treats these strips as a wall and will not go past them.

I have a fairly high transition between my kitchen laminate and the carpeted hallway of about 1/4". Seeing the design of a Roomba, I'm not sure it would be able to climb over this.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hed posted:

Are the boundary things for the neato required? Is it going to fall down a stairwell or crash into my sunken living room if I don't demarc it?

It has down firing IR edge sensors across he front. It will not go over large edges such as steps. The magnetic barrier tape is only needed if you have an area where you don't want the vacuum to go.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I have a collie, and my roommate has a english mastif. There is soo much dog hair in my house, despite keeping the dogs brushed and clean, and vacuuming multiple times a week. I've been thinking about getting a robot vacuum to run throughout the week while I'm at work. I don't mind emptying the bin every day, I just don't want to be disassembling it every day or every other day to pull hair out of the brushes.

I have hardwood floors, and area rugs throughout the house, along with thresholds for the different rooms (it's an older house and different rooms had hardwoods installed as they were added/renovated throughout the years). The main level is somewhere around 1200 sq feet. Is there a recommended robot vac that will work in my situation?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

alternate.eago posted:

I have a collie, and my roommate has a english mastif. There is soo much dog hair in my house, despite keeping the dogs brushed and clean, and vacuuming multiple times a week. I've been thinking about getting a robot vacuum to run throughout the week while I'm at work. I don't mind emptying the bin every day, I just don't want to be disassembling it every day or every other day to pull hair out of the brushes.

I have hardwood floors, and area rugs throughout the house, along with thresholds for the different rooms (it's an older house and different rooms had hardwoods installed as they were added/renovated throughout the years). The main level is somewhere around 1200 sq feet. Is there a recommended robot vac that will work in my situation?

I know two of the roomba's are specifically made for pets. Mine is a 650 and I have a lab and she sheds like crazy.. Ive had it 6 days and I just cleaned the brushes today and untangled any dog hair.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I've now relegated my 650 to only cleaning my room and the hallway. If i have it try to clean all 4 rooms and the hallway it dies. 3 rooms and hallway it dies.. 2 rooms and hallway it SOMETIMES can do it.. It's obvious the 650 was meant for one room. It does a drat fine job. I am probably going to go out and spend the 1000 bucks on the 980 to clean my entire bottom floor which is about 1600 square feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Anyone know anything about the Bobsweep vacuums? I can get them crazy cheap but nit certain they are up to snuff.

• Locked thread