Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
it really doesn't have to be a big deal to eat some sardines, you can just eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!
I eat them for breakfast with butter and rice cakes and tabasco.

every day.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-qCyYZRms

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
Oh ho ho ho there's more to it than that my friend

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you want to post just post it doesn't have to be complicate

it really doesn't have to be a big deal to post, you can just post!

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

mindphlux posted:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

mindphlux posted:

I like the way you think friend (:

:justpost:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't like fish.

I am not proud of this fact.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

ColdPie posted:

I don't like fish.

How to ease into fisheating.

1) Take a tin of anchovies in olive oil
2) Cook them in more olive oil until they stop smelling like fish. They will start to smell like generic toasty meat. They will also dissolve into basically powder.
3) Add some minced up garlic, and a little bit of butter. Simmer this for awhile until the garlic softens.
4) This is called Bagna Cauda. Dip veggies/bread into it, or use it as a pasta sauce.
5) Cook anchovies a little less next time. Maybe use them in a red sauce.
6) Eventually, try them as a pizza topping (If still squeamish, make sure there's also some form of meat as a topping, and make sure the toppings are well-baked to give you that borderline fishy-toastymeaty-meaty thing)
7) :coolfish: If you can handle anchovies no other fish should stop you.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

ColdPie posted:

I don't like fish.

if you want to like fish just like some it doesn't have to be complicate

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That's like telling me to just like licking the bottom of a well used trash can. Not gonna happen.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Archenteron posted:

How to ease into fisheating.

1) Take a tin of anchovies in olive oil
2) Cook them in more olive oil until they stop smelling like fish. They will start to smell like generic toasty meat. They will also dissolve into basically powder.
3) Add some minced up garlic, and a little bit of butter. Simmer this for awhile until the garlic softens.
4) This is called Bagna Cauda. Dip veggies/bread into it, or use it as a pasta sauce.
5) Cook anchovies a little less next time. Maybe use them in a red sauce.
6) Eventually, try them as a pizza topping (If still squeamish, make sure there's also some form of meat as a topping, and make sure the toppings are well-baked to give you that borderline fishy-toastymeaty-meaty thing)
7) :coolfish: If you can handle anchovies no other fish should stop you.

There's some anchovies in the pantry, I am eating Bagna Cauda tomorrow!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you don't like bagna cauda, you don't like food.

minced up anchovies, butter, and garlic. and then you pretend to eat vegetables by dipping them in that poo poo, but really all you care about is anchovies, butter, and garlic.

I usually blanch and dry some broccoli florets, because they're bagna cauda magnets. something like sugar snap peas are less grabby, so it's more like you're eating an actual vegetable rather than butter soaked vehicle for salt and garlic.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Chef John, bagna my cauda!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIUADjbHdNM

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Alton Brown got me on eating sardines from his diet episode. It's a great filling snack, though he makes it a little complicate

I usually just eat it straight from the tin but if I feel like doing dishes and wasting time I'll mash 'em up with some vinegar and mustard and eat them on toast (with guacamole if I have it).

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Finished eating mackerel in my salad for lunch. I think I'm doing sardines wrong.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I don't eat enough small fishes, I think I should eat more

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

This guy has the weirdest loving cadence to his speech.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Republicans posted:

This guy has the weirdest loving cadence to his speech.

I don't understand! Why you would say such a thing! His sentences seem! Perfectly normal to me!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I had some Northern Catch sardines in spring water from Aldi last night. They were really really good and a lovely little protein bomb.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

King Oscar in olive oil are my go-to sardines.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I didn't eat any sardines today.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ColdPie posted:

That's like telling me to just like licking the bottom of a well used trash can. Not gonna happen.

if you want to have bad taste just have it it doesn't have to be complicate

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

No sardines today either.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I eat a can of trader joes in harissa and then i soak up the juice and oil with some cheddar ciabatta and its fuckin fire.

i mean so fuckin good

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sardine status today: didn't have any.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Sardine Status: Consumed

Type: Brisling Sardines
Accessory: Olive Oil
Amount: Double Layer Tin
Brand: Crown Prince

Rating: 5 out of 5 :coolfish: :coolfish: :coolfish: :coolfish: :coolfish:
Taste: Excellent, would recommend

Notes: Sardines are expensive

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

The GBS sardine thread was one of my favorites. It still kickin around? I don't venture into GBS anymore.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Rationale posted:

I eat a can of trader joes in harissa and then i soak up the juice and oil with some cheddar ciabatta and its fuckin fire.

i mean so fuckin good

I live near a Trader Joe's so I have no excuse not to make this happen. Will have to do it when my super-sniffer wife is not home though, or I will be forced to defend the health benefits between bites.

I also got in trouble once at a previous job for eating kippered herring at my desk.

It's so hard to have good taste.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

actually have an 8 month old tin of beach cliff sardines that i've been contemplating eating recently, i will make it part of my lunch tomorrow

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TheDon01 posted:

The GBS sardine thread was one of my favorites. It still kickin around? I don't venture into GBS anymore.

old one was goldmined but there's a new one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Today I toasted some garlic in sardine oil with chili flakes, then added butternut squash and tossed in rotini pasta with the sardines. Pasta dishes with sardines are pretty great and easy to work in whatever you want.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TheDon01 posted:

no

and/or go check gbs

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
I just eat mine tinned,with oil or tomato sauce.

My real fetish though is mackrel fillets.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If you eat kippers at work you're a loving monster

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Haven't eaten sardines in too long but demolished half a can of smoked oysters on fresh bread with sliced, pickled garlic clove the other day.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

Lord Kinbote posted:

I just eat mine tinned,with oil or tomato sauce.

My real fetish though is mackrel fillets.

Do I have the thing for you. Perhaps the finest ready to eat tinned food in the world. Norwegian mackerel in tomato, affectionately called "plane crash". I eat this for breakfast pretty much every day if I have it.

It pairs excellently with sriracha, the sriracha perfectly meshes with the tomato sauce and removes the slight fishy edge. With Huy Fong I just lay it on top, but with the more runny Shark brand which I used here I like to mash it into a blend

Put on toasted bread, top with Norwegian mayo (which is fattier and maybe less creamy than American mayo) and enjoy.

Cataffy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 28, 2016

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I want to like eating sardines but eating the bones always weirds me out. Can you eat the bones.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The bones are so soft they're almost indistinguishable from the meat. Then again, I'm a weirdo who eats shrimp in their shells so what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I finally found a cheap brand of 'dines I really like. I tried my best to get into Season and Wild Planet (both available at Costco) and the Trader Joe's 'dines in harissa, but I never liked them as much as I wished I could.

But visiting my local Hispanic mega-market (Bravo Supermarket), I picked up a few unfamiliar brands to sample. So far, I have tried and loved the Canario "sardinillas picante en aceite" variety, or "tiny sardines in oil spiced piquant." They come in a yellow box with the can inside, and they're from Peru. They are tiny little 'dines, which are generally tastier to me than the larger ones where you only get two or three in a can. They had a nice smoky flavor and a little interesting spiciness from the oil. I ate them with a fork, straight out of the can, without mashing them, putting them on anything, or even thinking of adding anything to them.

Plus, they have been on sale for $1.39 per can for a few weeks, so I picked up 15 cans to stock up for hurricane season, since I like them more than any other brand and flavor I've found in that price range. I may just go clean them out while they're still on sale (for one more week). If you can find Canario sardinillas picante en aceite locally, I recommend them to other 'dine lovers.

• Locked thread