Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ive been trying to make a coming out of the closet joke for a few days now but i still cant think of a good one. hope you enjoyed the game op and i look forward to reading about it more in your yospos thread

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

trying to jack off posted:

ive been trying to make a coming out of the closet joke for a few days now but i still cant think of a good one. hope you enjoyed the game op and i look forward to reading about it more in your yospos thread

Well you asked for it so here's my review:

This game is like a modern Floor 13 + visual novel stuff and some light rpg elements. If you didn't play Floor 13 it's a early 90s game where you're the director of a secret police and your job is to stop scandals getting out and embarrassing the government, by any means necessary including brutal torture and murder. So like you get a tip that a dude is saying some bad stuff in the press, you surveil him and his house and find out who he's having dealings with. Do they have ties to an anti government organization, is he being blackmailed, that kind of thing. And you often have to take pretty drastic action like abducting everyone involved, torturing them to figure out who theyre working for, smearing said organization, etc. Because the alternative is a scandal which makes the prime minister POed at you and you're fired (killed). You also can't be too heavy handed and just murder everyone cuz that will also cost you the game. So you have to balance keeping scandals out of the press with not going too ham.

So this is the private catholic all girls high school elite academy version of that. You're the student council president and you have to stop the students from doing things that make the school look bad. From relatively minor things like a student steals some school supplies so a class she doesnt wanna go to will be cancelled, to major things like a psycho bitch who's gonna like try to murder someone, or plant a bomb. Of course you can't be as brutal and murder people, but you can expel them which is the same thing from a gameplay perspective. However you need some kind of evidence against a person to be able to do that, and it's a last resort cuz it gives you a rep hit. Again it's the balance between protecting the school's rep without being too heavy handed. Instead of secret police teams you have student councilors who will do your bidding.

This game improves on the formula in a number of ways though. First of all it's a lot more random, which I like in this case. In Floor 13 the cases have set solutions, and the only random thing is names and action outcomes, i believe. In Black Closet every case has several different variants and you can't usually tell which one it is right off the bat. Also there's stats in the game that influence the success of actions, for example harassing someone into giving you information is your agents social + intimidate + d20 vs their social + intimidate + d20. And doing well on cases gives you skill points to boost your girls with. But you don't know suspects' stats until you do an action vs them so you gotta be careful and maybe just feel em out first, and then go in hard. Cuz if you gently caress up you take a karma hit (how much the student body likes you, if it goes to 0 you lose), which influences how many skill points you get. And you're gonna need those skill points.

All the randomness means you can't just do the same thing every time. Sure there are good strategies to quickly find out which variation of a case you're on, after you've learned all the little tells that clue you in to what you're dealign with, but you still have to content with the random stats of suspects. Like if you know someone if the bad guy but their intimidate beats your agents you can't just go and bully them cuz they'll tell you to gently caress off. So you'll have to find another way or try to get some consumables or training first so you can win the check.

There's also like a storyline with set tasks that are pretty hard. It gets pretty hectic when you have 2 story cases + 2 random cases to deal with in a week and you really have to think about how you're gonna prioritize dealing with cases. If a case doesnt have big potential fallout you might just let it go so you don't fall behind. Those skill checks for story cases get fairly loving brutal, though i dont think theyre random from game to game. So the challenge is to deal with cases effectively to get all the skill points so you can beat the story cases that have a set time limit before you get a game over, basically.

Also this game tacks on visual novel elements. These are whatever for me. I just skip em after the first time. I like the core gameplay a lot more. Also for people who looked at this before the art was insanely bad but is a lot better now. I hope that makes it clear what the game is about. I probaly missed something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im sorry Ragg. The gameplay sounds good but it's not worth the money in this gamers opinion.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ragg posted:

Uhh. All right man, well if you like Floor 13 then check out the game in the OP.

yea you have had some pretty loving good taste in games historically so the whole catholic schoolgirl thing is :yikes: but I will probably overlook it next time I'm in the mood for a reading game

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Larry Parrish posted:

Im sorry Ragg. The gameplay sounds good but it's not worth the money in this gamers opinion.

What's worth money if not good gameplay?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Coolguye posted:

yea you have had some pretty loving good taste in games historically so the whole catholic schoolgirl thing is :yikes: but I will probably overlook it next time I'm in the mood for a reading game

I'm not wild about it myself but you don't see something kinda fresh like this every day, game play wise.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ragg posted:

What's worth money if not good gameplay?

It doesn't sound like the kind I like

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Larry Parrish posted:

It doesn't sound like the kind I like

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

*discretely passes Manila folder containing wallet to OP and walks away pulling trenchcoat collar over face*

• Locked thread