Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
should i use a vacuum cleaner or a can of compressed air ? its a square brick style PS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

i've never had any issues cleaning consoles with compressed air myself

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Compressed air for sure. I would also like to say that opening stuff up that's not usually meant to be opened up is fun and cool

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

Compressed air for sure. I would also like to say that opening stuff up that's not usually meant to be opened up is fun and cool
They should make transparent consoles again, like the old see-through Game Boys.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

i dont wanna open it up. i dont know anything about electronics :P

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

just make sure you get the fan ports then because that's where the dust tends to accumulate

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

They should make transparent consoles again, like the old see-through Game Boys.

Yeah. I think the last piece of transparent electronics I saw was this Power Cleaner thing that best buy tried to sell with entertainment systems. I think it was transparent to help sell the iidea that it does something

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

Just think of the goon who was really proud of himself for opening up his New 3DS to change the SD card, because he had previously never used a screwdriver. You could be as happy as him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't cleaned the inside of my PC since I built it last January. I should go in there with some compressed air this weekend. My PS4 also kinda dusty.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

Everything will be fine, you don't have to touch any of the actual circuits

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

In Training posted:

I haven't cleaned the inside of my PC since I built it last January. I should go in there with some compressed air this weekend. My PS4 also kinda dusty.

I cleaned the filters on my intakes/power supply for the first time in a while this weekend and I was horrified by what I saw. They are really good though, I rarely open my case and generally it's never too bad in there.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

tfw i had to get a of security screws and flashed a new os onto my original ds to play pirated games was epic

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

the circuit boards are a lot denser now so it would look even cooler

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

the circuit boards are a lot denser now so it would look even cooler
Yeah, it would be amazing. It's dumb that only PCs get cool cases.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
one time i opened up my ps2 to clean it and there was a big dead spider in there

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I swear by the air myself. Good luck with your cleaning journey OP.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ristolaz posted:

Just think of the goon who was really proud of himself for opening up his New 3DS to change the SD card, because he had previously never used a screwdriver. You could be as happy as him

lol

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

one time i opened up my ps2 to clean it and there was a big dead spider in there

RIP.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Ristolaz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Honestly I would poo poo my pants if I saw that.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I've found small bugs in old consoles and even what looked to be a large hash coin. I did not smoke it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Canned air is super expensive. Do you know anyone that has a compressor, OP?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

the dark souls of console cleaning

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

Kazvall posted:

Canned air is super expensive. Do you know anyone that has a compressor, OP?

There's a 75¢ cleaning compressor just sitting outside your local gas station.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
You can use a vac if you're not taking it apart and are just doing the vents. If you are opening it up don't use a vac unless you can ground the hose/nozzle and also make sure nothing important is going to get sucked up. Just use compressed air if you're worried.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

You can use a vac if you're not taking it apart and are just doing the vents. If you are opening it up don't use a vac unless you can ground the hose/nozzle and also make sure nothing important is going to get sucked up. Just use compressed air if you're worried.

i already cleaned it with air, but thank u.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I've never cleaned any dust out of any of my consoles, and I still got my NES running that I got 25 years ago.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

this was cool

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Canned air and make sure you take a hit for yourself every now and again

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

canned laughter

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
post itt if you pissed your pants on whippits