Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

Fresh off a $7.35 million round of investment, Brad Hargreaves, the CEO of Common—"a community of passionate and creative people who live, work, and play together"—has spent the last year peddling the trendy concept of shared living spaces to affluent young people (or young people with affluent parents?) in Crown Heights and, come springtime, the corner of South 3rd Street and Havemeyer in Williamsburg—where single bedrooms will rent for $2,250 to $3,190 for a month-to-month lease.

To be clear, this will be the monthly rent not for a studio apartment or a one-bedroom apartment, but for a single bedroom in one of 12 duplex suites shared with one, two or three other roommates. This appears to be Common's mission: to repackage the camaraderie of a freshman dorm room and the Friday night potluck at your college's vegetarian food coop for financially independent adults. Common can even take away the hassle of deciding who you'll be sharing your home with. "So far people have liked their roommates," Hargreaves said. "We typically choose them."

Addressing the cost of living during an interview on Wednesday, Hargreaves emphasized that all of the rooms come fully furnished, and are constantly replenished with coffee, tea, toilet paper, and other household staples that "roommates fight over to go buy." Wifi, free laundry and weekly cleaning is included, and there's a room with yoga mats and free weights. Also, the more expensive rooms are bigger, and come with a private bathroom. (Sign a 12-month lease for a discount—$1,800 for a small room or $2,650 for more space.) As Hargreaves put it, "It's quite analogous to a studio in some ways."

"This is a reaction to the shining glass tower where nobody knows their neighbors," said Hargreaves, justifying his decision to equip every suite in his newest building with a dedicated Slack channel.

For the uninitiated, Slack is a group chat platform popular among media outlets and tech startups that helps workers, mostly young white-collar ones, both procrastinate at work and never really stop working.

"We use Slack for the entire building, and the members love it," Hargreaves added, referring to his already-established co-living apartments in Crown Heights. "Someone will say they are making pancakes [in the channel] on a Sunday morning, and people will show up and have their own impromptu breakfast."

Gone are the days of knocking on your neighbor's door for a cup of sugar for your gluten free brownies. Instead, neighbors are probably bumping into each other as they walk into the elevator while pressing send on a .gif of a cat falling into a toilet to signify the indignity of #Mondays, and/or the L train. You can't spell Community without Common... oh, wait.

Finally gone are the days when you pay $1,800 a month and get you own bathroom where you have to buy your own toilet paper, god I hate buying toilet paper. Plus someone makes pancakes for you! Plus pesky kitchens were overrated anyways, now you can just have a communal food trough with free coffee.

I bet for an extra fee an older woman comes in on Saturday and tells you to put some clothes on and stop playing video games all day.

Don't take my word for it though, this is what David, Gayle and Cole have to say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Gayle :lol:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You're a national treasure, Three Olives

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i yearn for millennial blood

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Im Gayle

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

okay so i actually read through the wall of text this time and

quote:

Common can even take away the hassle of deciding who you'll be sharing your home with. "So far people have liked their roommates," Hargreaves said. "We typically choose them."

congratulations millennials, you're sacrificing your freedom of choice just so you can be pampered assholes even longer

gently caress you

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Really want you to do this 3O especially if you post the results. TIA.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

i live in a toilet

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

symbolic posted:

congratulations millennials, you're sacrificing your freedom of choice just so you can be pampered assholes even longer

I hope they pair me with Cole, he seems pretty chillax.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Three Olives posted:

I hope they pair me with Cole, he seems pretty chillax.
i hope cole has psychotic episodes that eventually cause him to carve his initials in your chest with a fork

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

symbolic posted:

i hope cole has psychotic episodes that eventually cause him to carve his initials in your chest with a fork

I assume they supply plastic utensils and paper plates so no one has to wash the dishes.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i finally understand you, 3O

it was love you wanted, all long :shobon:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I would like to pay a lot of money to have roommates, I thought you were supposed to pay more to live on your own but now I see that old way of thinking has been disrupted. Plus now I can pretend I have friends

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Blazing Zero posted:

i finally understand you, 3O

it was love you wanted, all long :shobon:
no, no, he gets love. he likes mexican men due to him being in texas.

i guess you could say he likes...Spanish Manlove.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

well at least they are keeping all the same techies in the same basket

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

welcome to gently caress mountain

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Heck yes I love paying 3 times as much as it would cost me to live on my own in order to live with 3 other hipster autists with too much money.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

they probably all gently caress or something gay like that

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

symbolic posted:

i yearn for millennial blood

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my best memory of shared accommodation was the shrieking gibbering ape-man smearing feces on your door at 3am every night, every apartment had one (it was me)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that sounds perfect for man children with too much money and no idea of how to take care of themselves properly like adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
You need to find a butch counterpart for yourself 3o. A steady dude into rock climbing and camping and poo poo who will keep you level as you slide into your thirties.

• Locked thread