Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Problem description:
Installed 4 new drives to set up as a RAID, went into BIOS & enabled RAID. Hitting Ctrl+i as per the splash on reboots had no effect and was unable to get into RAID setup. After 5 attempts, held down power button to attempt to catch BIOS setup from a cold boot. Machine ceased to boot. No BIOS splash, no keyboard light flash, only 1-per-second blink of SATA activity light + fans. See below for current state.

Attempted fixes:
Pulled all peripherals & unplugged all but the boot drive from the MOBO - no change

Unhooked all SATA devices including boot drive - no more flashing SATA activity light, no other change

Jumpered the 'Clear CMOS' pins - no change

Removed all RAM hoping for an error beep or something - fans spin up, drop to normal speed, turns off & attempts boot again indefinitely

Removed CMOS battery and let sit for ~10 minutes - no change

Installed single stick of RAM - boots! BIOS splash says CMOS was reset, I apply defaults & reboot, get into BIOS setup successfully, begin to have hope

Install second stick of RAM - back to not booting at all, no splash, no keyboard light flash. gently caress.

Test all possible RAM combinations - boots fine with any of the 4 sticks in any of the 4 slots, but not with any more than 1 stick in any combination

Find & read advice to enable XMP in BIOS http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1977390/boot-stick-ram.html - enabled, still unable to boot with more than one stick of RAM

Attempt to update BIOS from manufacturer using BIOS Q-Flash utility http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4953#bios - get a bios id check error on every single BIOS on the page. Q-Flash is able to successfully save the installed BIOS to my usb drive & re-open the same BIOS, so both drive & utility work

Search that bios id check error, get advice to use the in-Windows utility http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/319072-30-gigabyte-bios-check-error

Plug in boot drive to SATA 0 - machine no longer boots, no BIOS splash, no keyboard flash, back to the 1-per-second SATA activity light blink. gently caress

Unplug SATA again - boots to splash that says "last boot failed, may be due to configuration" chose to reset to defaults and reboot, machine now does not boot, no splash, no keyboard
light

Realize while writing this up I went to the wrong BIOS page, duh http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4968#bios - get all of them, machine still will not boot

Pull all RAM and CMOS battery & pray, got get lunch because gently caress this - attempted again after lunch, still nothing at all, no BIOS splash, no keyboard light, just fans.

Recent changes:
Hooked up 4 new SATA drives
Switched on RAID operation for the SATA controller

--

Operating system: probably irrelevant, but Windows 10 Pro x64

System specs: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5,

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I've done desktop repair for a number of years and I've never seen anything this weird. Someone just come in and tell me my MOBO got fried from holding down my power button one time so I can just buy a new one I guess.

Really confused that it would start booting for a while then give up again after plugging in a drive, but who the gently caress knows at this point. I'd love to try and update the BIOS now that I've got the right goddamn BIOS, but I haven't been able to get to BIOS since I hooked up the drive again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Update!
Sacrificed a chicken and got to BIOS again, reflashing with newest BIOS revision with all crossable appendages crossed....

SUCCESS. Good lord I was worried there for a bit. Still no clue how BIOS got that fuckered especially considering this board has dual BIOS chips with one being a fallback.

Oh well, who cares, closing thread.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 21, 2016

• Locked thread