Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'll play against you some time. Are you on the fighting game discord or anything? I'm not usually like idling in SFV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll have to build the habit of hopping in the discord, yeah.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
There's a few people that play SFV (including myself) in the main FG discord now, I'll post an invite link here for convenience

https://discord.gg/tp2qqV

I'm an SF4 refugee that was very disappointed in 5 when it came out but I agree with the assessment that the game has come around to be "okay" at this point and I enjoy playing it now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Was fun as hell playing against goons last night; not trying to talk myself up but the bronze rank is full of dumb as bricks opponents I breeze through whereas the bronze players in last nights lounge blew my poo poo up, which is fantastic. I'm charging my controller batteries now (and buying some more on the way home) and I'm gonna get on again tonight.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah you should be out of Bronze pretty soon once you get a few combos down and learn to punish stuff. For reference my old PC account was usually low Silver or Super Bronze but I also had not played in like six+ months so I am certainly not a good measuring stick.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I've been playing for a month or so. Menat is wicked fun, even if i haven't learned a gently caress-your-poo poo-up-punish combo yet. Her normals and specials rule.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

I've been playing for a month or so. Menat is wicked fun, even if i haven't learned a gently caress-your-poo poo-up-punish combo yet. Her normals and specials rule.

I absolutely love playing menat, but I've never been able to get more than 8 or so hits out of a VT1 combo, and I feel like she really, really needs her VT combos to succeed as you move up the ranks.

I'm also just completely not patient enough to deal with zoning out people I feel like!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm not sure anything could be as disappointing to a 90s SF fan than SFV. Just go have fun getting your rear end kicked at Third Strike.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not sure anything could be as disappointing to a 90s SF fan than SFV.

Street Fighter X Tekken

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I made Super Bronze last night!
Six times. And then fell back into Bronze again at the end of the night. :v:

Feels like a universal constant that my first match after getting Super Bronze is a wifi warrior or someone about to throw my lifeless body aside to rank up into Silver. Ah well, I'll get there in time.

Some good games though, and definitely some learning progress - learning how to punish Karin's Rassenha over the course of three match ups against a player I kept running into until I could consistently take sets from them was satisfying. Also getting owned by a Ryu who did nothing but a jump in combo over and over before matching with him again and consistently tiger uppercutting every single jump-in. We then rematched and he did....exactly the same thing again as I tiger uppercutted him into oblivion.

Working on st. MP, cr. MP xx Tiger Uppercut as a starting combo for Sagat - struggling to get crouching DPs motions off consistently with a pad though so definitely something I need to keep drilling in training to get in to my muscle memory.

Also getting one hell of a thumb callous going.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

I made Super Bronze last night!
Six times. And then fell back into Bronze again at the end of the night. :v:

Feels like a universal constant that my first match after getting Super Bronze is a wifi warrior or someone about to throw my lifeless body aside to rank up into Silver. Ah well, I'll get there in time.

Some good games though, and definitely some learning progress - learning how to punish Karin's Rassenha over the course of three match ups against a player I kept running into until I could consistently take sets from them was satisfying. Also getting owned by a Ryu who did nothing but a jump in combo over and over before matching with him again and consistently tiger uppercutting every single jump-in. We then rematched and he did....exactly the same thing again as I tiger uppercutted him into oblivion.

Working on st. MP, cr. MP xx Tiger Uppercut as a starting combo for Sagat - struggling to get crouching DPs motions off consistently with a pad though so definitely something I need to keep drilling in training to get in to my muscle memory.

Also getting one hell of a thumb callous going.

Nice job!

There's actually a trick to crouching DP combos like that, you don't have to input a complete DP motion after pressing crMP

So, for example, you could do this:

Forward + st MP, down + crMP, down-forward + HP or whatever and you'd still get the DP at the end. Basically you hit the down portion of the motion at the same time as your cr MP. It's also the secret to doing a standing normal in a combo with a down up charge move!

Depending on how long the buttons are, you might have to input forward AFTER st MP but before your crMP, but it's the same idea

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Nice job!

There's actually a trick to crouching DP combos like that, you don't have to input a complete DP motion after pressing crMP

So, for example, you could do this:

Forward + st MP, down + crMP, down-forward + HP or whatever and you'd still get the DP at the end. Basically you hit the down portion of the motion at the same time as your cr MP. It's also the secret to doing a standing normal in a combo with a down up charge move!

Depending on how long the buttons are, you might have to input forward AFTER st MP but before your crMP, but it's the same idea

Thanks for this, I'll try and give it a whirl in training mode for a while today - I'd seen a video that had discussed doing df, d, df as a shortcut for DP from crouching moves but it didn't feel consistent and was shredding my thumb, that seems a lot more manageable.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’ve been playing this game since launch and only reached silver once. I am forever waffling between bronze and super bronze.

I’m at that uncomfortable level where I’m better than my friends but not hot poo poo enough to climb the ranks online. But I’m having fun so I’m happy.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

I almost touched Gold once, but it's so easy to slip back down into Super Bronze in ranked and fail to beat dumber and dumber poo poo and then have a character change crisis.

Can't help I only like Ed and just started picking E. Honda again. Look all good fighters are named Ed its science.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Boredom and quarantine has lead to me going through and creating a set of basic guides for all the characters in SFV, as well as a couple of videos regarding some basic SFV mechanics and offense strings.

I dumped all of the guides into a dropbox that I link to with this google sheet. I update them as I learn new things

I also made this fairly dry video on some basic things worth learning and basic mechanics for SFV, as well as this video on string-based offense in SFV.

I also heartily recommend joining New Challenger. It's a good discord that Trykt, myself, and a few other goons play at. They focus on teaching new players the ropes in SFV and other fighting games.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh my god, thank you!

I'm digging in now and will hop in that New Challenger discord later; I plan on spending a lot of time on SFV Memorial day weekend.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Oh awesome, I've seen/read a bunch of these guides but didn't know you were a goon - thanks so much for these, I really appreciate the straightforward way they're written.

Ranked update: Super Bronze and hovering around the 1000-1200 range consistently. Every Ultra Bronze I've fought lately I've come pretty close to winning which is comforting, but have been let down by execution or match-up unfamiliarity.
Working on getting some combos into my muscle memory but finding the link timing challenging, though double tapping is helping with that a bit - most of the fighters I've played recently have had gatling or cancel systems so I'm used to a certain degree of dialling in a combo that SFV doesn't let me get away with.

This is also where I start wanting to play other characters even though I know it's probably better for me to just stick with Sagat and knuckle down on learning him. It's not that I don't enjoy Sagat, more that this game has a lot of cool characters.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
wrong thread sorry

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Mode 7 posted:

Oh awesome, I've seen/read a bunch of these guides but didn't know you were a goon - thanks so much for these, I really appreciate the straightforward way they're written.

Ranked update: Super Bronze and hovering around the 1000-1200 range consistently. Every Ultra Bronze I've fought lately I've come pretty close to winning which is comforting, but have been let down by execution or match-up unfamiliarity.
Working on getting some combos into my muscle memory but finding the link timing challenging, though double tapping is helping with that a bit - most of the fighters I've played recently have had gatling or cancel systems so I'm used to a certain degree of dialling in a combo that SFV doesn't let me get away with.

This is also where I start wanting to play other characters even though I know it's probably better for me to just stick with Sagat and knuckle down on learning him. It's not that I don't enjoy Sagat, more that this game has a lot of cool characters.
honestly, play who you like.

i made another video on setting up post-knockdown offense in SFV if anyone's interested

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Sestze posted:

honestly, play who you like.

80% of the cast here I come :v:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Nah. This is exactly the right time to dabble in some other characters. You've seen them now through other people using them on you- when one grabs your eye, take a quick tour through training mode to see if you'll have fun piloting it, then give it a whirl and see what it can do against other people. If nothing else, the experience will give you a better grasp for what your opponents USING said characters will be trying to do, and can inform your own tactics the next time you find yourself across them. And who knows, maybe your Street Fighter darling is still out there, waiting to be found. You're not cheating on Sagat if you're not going steady yet, play the field.

I'd really only argue against it if you're still having some major execution troubles with 'your' character's basics still. I don't play Sagat so I dunno how hard his moment-to-moment execution is but the wrong time to walk away from a character you want to focus on is when you're still flubbing easy, reliable B&B combos (not necessarily a character's BEST bread and butters, but the easy ones everyone falls back on in tense uncertain situations) and easy links and setups. Basically, if you don't think you can walk away for a week and come back and still pull off stuff that'll keep you competitive at Super Bronze, maybe wait a bit.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
5 more characters, 3 more stages, and a costume contest

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/1265660100850733058

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This game is stupid and bad I gave Capcom money for a fighting game for the first time since IV Arcade Edition because I'm a fool.

Where do I find any good non-titty character mods?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

shockingly enough deviantart has a bunch

https://www.deviantart.com/streetmodders/gallery/57895495/street-fighter-v-mods

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lol the Tifa Lucia skin ElChakotay uses that I want costs money and has fuckdoll options welp

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Progress report, climbed to Ultra Bronze tonight. :toot: Got knocked down shortly after but climbed back up by the end of my session!

Really digging Sagat still, I've always enjoyed zoners and playing the patient, frustrate-my-opponent slow game. It's interesting seeing the other playstyles in Super/Ultra Bronze that I've encountered so far - I'm commonly encountering people who have practiced a particular combo to perfection. It's always hugely damaging, they go for it any chance they get, and it swings matches for them because although I'm landing the occasional hitconfirm or f+HK into heavy Tiger Uppercut it just doesn't put out the same level of damage that quickly. They only need to create just a couple of openings to win, whereas I'm achieving victory more through the slow grind down.

I'm finding a lot though that generally these single-combo players have no clue what to do if someone plays patient and defensive, especially the ones who have no other way to launch into the combo other than through jump in.
I think I need to spend some time practicing some better punishes and confirms, just to make sure I'm maximizing the opportunities that I do get.

Think I might play around with Bison for a bit soon as well - he's currently my nightmare matchup and I want the opportunity to be an rear end in a top hat with plus frames absolutely fuckin' everywhere too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I haven't played this in ages, is Juri still a bit underwhelming? I mained her as I had in 4 because if someone doesn't know what to do about her you can play keepaway for days, but her damage output and fireball range was nerfed from 4 from what I remember, and I don't think her non feng-shui engine ult was as much fun to snag people with. She's still fun but some match ups she really gets massacred.
I am pleased that my SF4 fightpad works seamlessly on PC with this and SC6, cannot get to grips with sticks at all.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

NonzeroCircle posted:

I haven't played this in ages, is Juri still a bit underwhelming? I mained her as I had in 4 because if someone doesn't know what to do about her you can play keepaway for days, but her damage output and fireball range was nerfed from 4 from what I remember, and I don't think her non feng-shui engine ult was as much fun to snag people with. She's still fun but some match ups she really gets massacred.
I am pleased that my SF4 fightpad works seamlessly on PC with this and SC6, cannot get to grips with sticks at all.
Juri's a completely different beast to SF4, for better or worse. You're not playing keepaway and hitting them with a divekick in this game.

Her mechanic in SFV is stocking certain special attacks with qcf+k that she can then release or chain later on. As such, Juri's sort of a "chores" character, where if you get your stocks, you can do incredible damage, stay safe on block, and have incredible corner carry. She's also got three different anti fireball options as part of her kit, which makes her a nightmare for the ubiquitous shotos you face in lower ranks.

Not super top tier, but very playable.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like SF V quite a bit but I use to love letting rip with Juri in 4 and I do not like what they did with her in 5 at all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mode 7 posted:

Progress report, climbed to Ultra Bronze tonight. :toot: Got knocked down shortly after but climbed back up by the end of my session!

Really digging Sagat still, I've always enjoyed zoners and playing the patient, frustrate-my-opponent slow game. It's interesting seeing the other playstyles in Super/Ultra Bronze that I've encountered so far - I'm commonly encountering people who have practiced a particular combo to perfection. It's always hugely damaging, they go for it any chance they get, and it swings matches for them because although I'm landing the occasional hitconfirm or f+HK into heavy Tiger Uppercut it just doesn't put out the same level of damage that quickly. They only need to create just a couple of openings to win, whereas I'm achieving victory more through the slow grind down.

I'm finding a lot though that generally these single-combo players have no clue what to do if someone plays patient and defensive, especially the ones who have no other way to launch into the combo other than through jump in.
I think I need to spend some time practicing some better punishes and confirms, just to make sure I'm maximizing the opportunities that I do get.

Think I might play around with Bison for a bit soon as well - he's currently my nightmare matchup and I want the opportunity to be an rear end in a top hat with plus frames absolutely fuckin' everywhere too.

the only real joy I ever got out of SFV was in the early days just playing the frustration/keep away game with FANG

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

man nurse posted:

I like SF V quite a bit but I use to love letting rip with Juri in 4 and I do not like what they did with her in 5 at all.

I still like Juri in 5, but yeah I'm not demolishing people like in 4 (fireball range is deffo a factor). It was still fun getting a couple hits in on proper new players with that massive kick reach then spending 80 seconds jumping over them. I always find that sort of bullshit much more fun to fight against than some rear end just stunlocking me and having their two perfects in 23 seconds combined.
Same with Soul Calibur 6, I have far more respect for someone who can read that they far outmatch my meager abilities after a round and then will play silly buggers than just rinse their 2 combos.
The rematch system in SC6 is perfect, there was a Yoshimitsu I'd keep running into and we had a lot of fun being annoying more than aggressive for 6 or 7 sets.
It's a shame neither that nor SF5 (to my knowledge) have an easy way of chatting to other players on Steam. I miss the days of being able to just send "gg" or something on my old 360 playing SF4. I think about half my 360 friends list ended up being from that game.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Picked up this game during the Champion Edition sale and enjoying playing around online. I'm dogshit at stringing together combos but a lot of times just being patient with anti-airs and throws is enough to beat people.

Mostly playing Zeku, and liking him, but all his costumes are crap. How often do they update with extras like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

morestuff posted:

Mostly playing Zeku, and liking him, but all his costumes are crap. How often do they update with extras like that?

Rarely.