Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

elf help book posted:

bought a new video card last year and then realized i only play pixel indie games

Good news gamer! Far Cry: Primal is out today. Set sail for fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lol

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

tfw you realize the computer is not powering on because you forgot to switch on the power supply again

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I built my new PC this month and it didn’t work. :( first I forgot to turn the power supply on. Then it turned on for a bit and turned off again over and over, the nerd shop man said the motherboard had bent pins and I’m just going to pretend they came like that. He replaced it, said it worked in the shop, then I plugged it in, turned it on, the power supply made a bang and all the fuses in my house blew.

It works now and now I have to send back two broken components and an extra case that Amazon shipped me for no reason. PC gaming and home building ftw.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Ended up going with this build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($124.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK 85.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($22.25 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer R240HY bidx 60Hz 23.8" Monitor ($131.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1298.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-25 09:41 EST-0500
This is pretty much exactly what I got except double the price because I live in Britain.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Paying 300 dollars for a 60 hz monitor like a baws.

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]
I want a fancy new monitor with lots of hertz too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Paying 300 dollars for a 60 hz monitor like a baws.

[Quietly to myself as I click "Add to Cart" on a 60 Hertz monitor, a single tear rolling down my cheek]: Hertz, don't it.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pablo Gigante posted:

[Quietly to myself as I click "Add to Cart" on a 60 Hertz monitor, a single tear rolling down my cheek]: Hertz, don't it.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I built my new PC this month and it didn’t work. :( first I forgot to turn the power supply on. Then it turned on for a bit and turned off again over and over, the nerd shop man said the motherboard had bent pins and I’m just going to pretend they came like that. He replaced it, said it worked in the shop, then I plugged it in, turned it on, the power supply made a bang and all the fuses in my house blew.

It works now and now I have to send back two broken components and an extra case that Amazon shipped me for no reason. PC gaming and home building ftw.

This is pretty much exactly what I got except double the price because I live in Britain.

Did you buy a different power supply?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fiction posted:

Did you buy a different power supply?
Yep, it was completely dead.

I'm guessing it wasn't fully powering up when the motherboard was (also) a problem so that was its first real go and its poor little heart couldn't take it. :(

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

building a pc for the first time is a magical experience and everybody should do it

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

I built my own PC was pretty easy just select the stuff I want on the drop down menu on Alienware.com and wait a week

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

I built my own PC was pretty easy just select the stuff I want on the drop down menu on Alienware.com and wait a week

Welfare gaming ftw

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

Cute Cashier: *smiles* Here are your 40 nuggets

Me: *climbs out of my car window, through the drive through window, stands up and brushes myself off* So do you come here often

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

BgRdMchne posted:

tfw you realize the computer is not powering on because you forgot to switch on the power supply again

christ, i think i've logged at least a full day of panic spaced out over the years of pc building because of this. that and putting in the "on" switch lead backwards or something equally as stupid

im smart

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

For me it's always forgetting to plug the power cable into the 24 pin thing on the motherboard. The big one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my new pc is here and it runs everything like a dream

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

right, but, your dream is now a reality

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

Bobnumerotres posted:

im happy fo ryou

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

witcher 3 on ultra still chugs a bit but from what i've read you need to SLI cards to get that thing running smooth on max settings

blops 3 tho omg this is a different game. i was running it at like 600p stretched w/ minimum settings, now it's maxed out and running at 60 (sixty) (:pcgaming:) and boy who knew crack could be this good

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Most of Witcher 3s fps issues are from the good hair setting

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

lo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Witcher 3 was chugging for me a bit at max settings until I decided to see if upgrading to Windows 10 helped and now it’s smooth as hell. Weird but okay

also it’s really good and I wasn’t expecting much because the first two were just deec

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Ristolaz posted:

Cute Cashier: *smiles* Here are your 40 nuggets

Me: *climbs out of my car window, through the drive through window, stands up and brushes myself off* So do you come here often

lol

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Claven666 posted:

christ, i think i've logged at least a full day of panic spaced out over the years of pc building because of this. that and putting in the "on" switch lead backwards or something equally as stupid

im smart

don't feel too bad, i spent half a day troubleshooting a new monitor and graphics card (and all the cables and connections) because i had my PC plugged into my TV across the room and when I unplugged everything, windows defaulted to that as my primary monitor so I always got a blank screen whenever i turned on the new one

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Why has no-one called out the OP on his horrible lies yet?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

tfw when you do a new mod on a console and it works the first time

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Why has no-one called out the OP on his horrible lies yet?

The OP is my friend and you will not question his sincerity in my presence.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kazvall posted:

The OP is my friend and you will not question his sincerity in my presence.

Thanks man. This thread is 100% truthful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

also lmao

• Locked thread