Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

stayingalivetv posted:

From the forum rules:

"Your sig file and you. Keep in mind that everybody on the forums has to see your sig file over and over every time you post. Please make your sig file under 30k in size with less than three lines of text. Do not use images larger than 400 pixels wide and 125 pixels high."

http://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/2/

I prefer to keep to the forum rules rather than what some random dude on the forum spews out. So sorry if I've offended you.

Yeah don't. If you want to promote your youtube channel buy an ad .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Well that escalated quickly..

da OP posted:

This thread will be for sharing photographs, anecdotes and ramblings. Please feel free to ask questions; apologies if they do not get answered. Follow along as we make ordinary life more difficult than it needs to be.
(emphasis added for effect)

Try to keep the internet detective stuff to a bare minimum, please? There is nothing wrong with innocent questions and I know it is fun to speculate and stuff like calling out the state on a blurry license plate and pointing out the model of a truck in a picture or asking where we are and what my social security number is are relatively harmless but -- please. Do it as a sort of favor maybe? I closed the last one purposely and took down all the pics, would like to keep this one up for a while at least.

We're in the Northeast, not living like cavemen despite my MIL's constant assertion otherwise, and there is a building that is heated with wood.

Basically go back and read DreadLlama's post, then reread the thread with that in mind and it will probably clear itself up.

There, now that's settled and we can move on :)

You know what's not really as much fun as it sounds like after a few months of drought? Three straight days of rain!

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Hey apatite are you going to tap this year?

http://www.alzheimers.net/5-02-16-alzheimers-prevented-by-maple-syrup/ posted:

A recent study has found that Alzheimer’s could be prevented by a compound in maple syrup, finding that the product stopped the folding of two toxic proteins associated with the disease.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/maple-syrup-could-protect-against-alzheimer-s-research-suggests-1.2824329 posted:

Another study (...)found that pure maple syrup extract prevented the tangling of beta amyloid proteins and protected the neurons in rodents' brain cells, specifically microglial, which are the primary form of defence against pathogens in the central nervous system.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 16, 2017

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

apatite posted:

You know what's not really as much fun as it sounds like after a few months of drought? Three straight days of rain!

That was fun, wasn't it? We got absolutely dumped on Friday and Saturday, Sunday was nice though, aside from worrying that my cars were all going to blow away after seeing the wicked witch of the west fly by the window.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

kastein posted:

That was fun, wasn't it? We got absolutely dumped on Friday and Saturday, Sunday was nice though, aside from worrying that my cars were all going to blow away after seeing the wicked witch of the west fly by the window.

I discovered that the exhaust for my furnace sticks out from the dripline juuuuuuuust enough for rain to come back down and drip on the floor! I was WONDERING where that wet spot in the basement was coming from. Now I know.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Wicked witches, hill folk and leaky vent pipes. That sums it up pretty well..

The good news is that I put up a 10ft gutter and piped it into the cistern so now we've got a functional rain water harvesting setup. Key word -functional-!! woopwoop woohoo yay alrighttttt etc. it is working pretty drat slick but for some reason there is only one place in about a thousand mile radius that sold bulk head fittings to add an overflow drain to the cage tote cistern tank.

The bad news is that it snowed quite a bit today, although not much accumulation. That's bad because of the ongoing timberframe (aka post and beam) woodshed addition project. Currently have a dry stacked stone foundation and one hand hewed cedar sill beam in place but apparently really need to shift rear end into proper gear. It's not for storing wood though, need a place to put machinery like hydraulic wood splitter, snowmobile, fourwheeler and so-on. There will be poo poo for slope on the roof so we can try out a living roof on it next year as an experiment. It is taking forever because all the rock for the foundation came out of the trenches that had to be dug and I'm only using hand tools for the framing out of some sick desire to take too long to get poo poo done.

Happy halloween

<edit> Yeah we are going to tap this year, gotta do it we are running low on syrup and the addiction is flaring up anyhow. 3/16" gravity fed tubing maybe?? We've definitely got the drop to really get it flowing. Gotta get some fundage. Really need a proper building. Want to build a 2x8 evap and buy 2x6 flue pan and 2x2 syrup pan or something like that. "Maybe next year on that stuff though..." Ugh :)

Cider is almost done fermenting so I will let you all know how that turns out. A couple of smaller batches we added sugar to for apple wine but most will only come out to 7% if my hydrometer is right which it loving better be

apatite fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 28, 2016

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
He man,

glad your thread is up again, somehow i missed the new one. I always enjoy seeing your pics and the work on your plot of land. As a Dutchy we don't really have space or a piece of forest you can buy, so i'm a bit jealous.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Draadnagel posted:

He man,

glad your thread is up again, somehow i missed the new one. I always enjoy seeing your pics and the work on your plot of land. As a Dutchy we don't really have space or a piece of forest you can buy, so i'm a bit jealous.

Hey,

There is a 50acre piece that borders mine for sale right now, $1k per acre and I'm broke so someone else will end up with it. That sucker could be you! :)

Also, we ain't ded yet

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

apatite posted:

Hey,

There is a 50acre piece that borders mine for sale right now, $1k per acre and I'm broke so someone else will end up with it. That sucker could be you! :)

Please put me down for a single acre. The best one.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'll take 2 - second and third best please.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gimme the most farmable contiguous 5 acres and we can totally be neighbors and share awesome foods and such.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Lets crowdfund this bitch. I'm in for 3. Terms are each owner must grant easement on their parcel as necessary for access if we divide it up like this.

Seriously though, 50 acres in NY for $50k seems like an insane deal. You can't be that far from civilization.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

So long no new pictures, what can I do to have you post a few?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Keetron posted:

So long no new pictures, what can I do to have you post a few?

:)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Is that a snake spine?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Keetron posted:

Is that a snake spine?

Petrified Dire Centipede

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Keetron posted:

Is that a snake spine?

I really don't know, it was just chilling on this moss on top of a rock by the stream :birddrugs:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
If you've got a stream you could probably plant some silver maples along it. Tappable in 10 years, you know. My local conservation authority has saplings for a dollar apiece.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

DreadLlama posted:

If you've got a stream you could probably plant some silver maples along it. Tappable in 10 years, you know. My local conservation authority has saplings for a dollar apiece.

Yeah we actually planted a bunch that we got for free from a nursery but honestly there was no point in it because we've got thousands of sugar maples in various life stages. The silvers really are a nice tree though and I'd suggest them to anyone, especially for wetter areas. Good call!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Long time, no post.

Feel sort of dirty doing this after not being around for a while and maybe it's even against the rules? but here's a link to SA-Mart thread with some of this year's left over syrup for sale https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825993

All funds raised go to mega-upgrade fund to get me to mid size commercial producer scale so that maybe we can make a profit some day instead of doing it for the love of concentrated tree blood :cheers:

• Locked thread