Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have a 12TB RAID that serves video to an iMac exclusively used for video editing. On this 12TB RAID is most of the video I've shot over the last year or two. There is a secondary 12TB RAID that I back this up to.

My experience with RAIDs (over the last decade) is that one drive shits out and the whole RAID dies. Then you order a new drive and a few days later it arrives, and then you copy 12TB from one RAID to another, which takes somewhere between 1 and 3 days. As I get older and wiser, I am less and less comfortable with this week (or two) long period where everything I've shot in my adult lifetime exists only in one place. I've considered getting a third RAID, but the RAID thing seems inherently lossy to me, as you need every drive to make one copy. I want to move to single drives, to reduce the risk of data loss. The primary volume would still be a RAID (for simplicity's sake), but the backup would be JBOD,

How do I achieve a backup from a RAID to a JBOD series?

Operating system: OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite.

System specs: iMac retina 5K 4Ghz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What do you mean when you say you have "12TB RAIDs"? Are you talking about some sort of external storage appliances you purchased? How many drives? What RAID level are you using?

You seem to have this backwards, as the entire point of RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) is that it protects you from data loss when a hard drive fails. If a drive in your RAID5 array (the standard RAID level for 3+ drives) fails, the array will continue working just fine in "degraded" mode with reduced performance. When you replace the failed drive, the array will rebuild over a few hours and restore to full performance. If a second drive dies before the rebuild is complete, you will lose the entire array. RAID6 allows you to survive two drive failures, losing the array on the third failure. RAID5 "costs" one drive worth of capacity, RAID6 costs two. The only thing that would explain your experience is if you were running in RAID0, which is not a real raid level (hence the 0) because it just spreads data over all drives, improving performance but losing the entire array if a single drive failed. There would be absolutely no reason for you to use this mode.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Two 12TB RAID 0's. I used RAID 5's for years and had more problems with them than anything else (hence the two RAID 0's).

RAID 5 is not a backup in my opinion. I would still have to have a way to backup the data, so I'd have to have a second disk array - so instead of RAID 5-ing them, I just RAID 0'd them.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Jesus dude, of course you'll have issues if you run RAID0 arrays, that's absolutely the wrong thing to do. Re-build as two RAID5 arrays, one used for backups.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks.

Anyone else?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

photomikey posted:

Thanks.

Anyone else?

Basically what he said. RAID 0 is stupid, particularly in this use case. Even RAID 5 has its issues as drives get bigger, but it's a much safer way to go.

Are you editing files on this array, or just using it as long term storage?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

smax posted:

Basically what he said. RAID 0 is stupid, particularly in this use case. Even RAID 5 has its issues as drives get bigger, but it's a much safer way to go.

Are you editing files on this array, or just using it as long term storage?
Editing files.

Long term storage, I offload onto bare drives.

I'll re-consider RAID 5.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
What devices do you have these RAID arrays built on? If you're using low quality storage appliances that could be your root problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Alereon posted:

What devices do you have these RAID arrays built on? If you're using low quality storage appliances that could be your root problem.
Originally bought two OWC Mercury Elite RAID enclosures. The one designated as "backup" never would work right, it'd go ok for a couple of months, start beeping, reset the error, it'd beep the next day, I'd troubleshoot it, replace a drive, copy the data over... we'd be ok for a couple months, and it would start again. Never went more than a month or so without a problem, but never could quite put my finger on what the issue was - just kept replacing the odd bad drive. Eventually got fed up with it and called OWC, they wouldn't help because I was outside of 12 months. So pitched it and bought a $99 box from Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X26VV4/

And haven't had trouble since.

So now I have one (expensive) box from OWC and one cheap box from Amazon.

To be clear, there is no trouble now, I'm just outgrowing what I've got and looking for advice on where to go next without having to take a mortgage out on the house.

• Locked thread