Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

BONGHITZ posted:

I [28/m] have been a programmer for 12 years. I am self taught, but I make a decent living running my own programming business (related to WordPress).
My GF [30/f] is about to start her own business in massage therapy and needs to setup a WordPress website, make a nice layout and do basic SEO. Instead of wanting to talk to me and let me teach her how to do stuff, she is wanting to take a free online class and learn herself.
I asked her about it and she said she feels like the professor is more trained, regarding the subject, then me.
Do I know everything regarding the subject? Definitely not. But we are talking about really basic knowledge here - that I am definitely capable of teaching; and have taught to others before. It hurts my feelings that she views me as incompetent regarding one of the few subjects that I actually know a ton about.
I am getting the feeling from her that just because I don't have a formal education on the subject that I am a poor source of knowledge.
I am not trying to control her and make her only learn from me, that would be wrong. I am just hurt that she seems to view my knowledge as worthless. I don't understand why she can't let me teach her and also take the online class at the same time.
How do I / we move forward?
tl;dr: GF views my knowledge regarding computer science as worthless; won't let me teach her anything.

kill her then urself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

I probated him for you.

thank you smythe.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

.lnk to the past posted:

kill her then urself

got another one for ya smythe

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

so does it help my job be more ethical if i have to take training on how to be ethical or does that mean i work for an evil megacorp?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Virion posted:

so does it help my job be more ethical if i have to take training on how to be ethical or does that mean i work for an evil megacorp?

that's definitely Evil Megacorp territory bc they're just doing that so when you do something Unethical they can say they trained you otherwise and thus they're not liable for your Fuckery

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

.lnk to the past posted:

kill her then urself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a bad prob

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

I probated him for you.

You're a good person, Smythe.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

.lnk to the past posted:

my company is unethical, but im a poo poo employee so it cancels out

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Is lying unethical? I guess saying someone's data is "in the cloud" when it's really just in a computer somewhere is a lie.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Alzabo posted:

Is lying unethical? I guess saying someone's data is "in the cloud" when it's really just in a computer somewhere is a lie.

The cloud is a nebulous concept.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

spankmeister posted:

The cloud is a nebulous concept.

boo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'll show myself out.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006