Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Sup 'POS. Recently I've been having some health problems so I want to start planning for the worst case scenario. My finances are great (have been saving since I was 20; own a house outright in a terrific school district) and will easily support those I leave behind. What I'm really worried about is my wife or kids taking a look at my emails, web history, or even Slack contacts after I'm gone and discovering this private life I've been leading. God knows what they'd think about my posts in the cjs or catte threads...that certainly isn't the legacy I want to leave behind.

I mostly do IT work so I don't have much experience coding, but I know a lot of you do and have created some practical Raspberry Pi projects so I'm wondering -- does anyone have experience creating a 'dead man's trigger' as they call it? I'm not sure what kinda logistics are needed and whatnot, but I'm willing to spend some time on it to make sure it works. Right I have a password on my computer which could do the job, but some extra security would be great. Ideally the device would automatically delete my SA posts, Reddit account, Weird Tweets, etc. once I pass. Any ideas? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
just lean your head back on your computer right before you put the shotgun in your mouth

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
encrypt everything before u scoop and dont tell anyone the key

im unable to feel shame so things are diff for me

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Korean Boomhauer posted:

encrypt everything before u scoop and dont tell anyone the key

a good friend of mine died unexpectedly last year and they had filevault turned on their laptop. no chance.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my dead friend is still in my steam contacts and recently it started saying "last seen over a year ago"

:smith:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
suicide requests arent allowed in yospos

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

my dead friend is still in my steam contacts and recently it started saying "last seen over a year ago"

a friend of mine has a friend request from someone who is now deceased as well

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
who cares op yull be dead and living it up wiith new friends & hot skelle chicks. forget your old life it is holding you back

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

a friend of mine has a friend request from someone who is now deceased as well

i get a nice "It's zack's birthday today! help him celebrate!" for my dead friend

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

use encryption.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

sund posted:

i get a nice "It's zack's birthday today! help him celebrate!" for my dead friend

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
delete these accounts today, op. it's the only way to be sure

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

same :smith:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

The Management posted:

delete these accounts today, op. it's the only way to be sure

I want to continue using them until I die.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Squeezy Farm posted:

I want to continue using them until I die.

you're already dead on the inside

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
encryption and one of those wall socket timers that cut power if you dont press a button every 60 minutes

:lost:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

google has a thing where it deletes all your stuff if you don't log into the account for x days and tells your friends that you're dead if you want.

https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/account/inactive

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

sund posted:

luv to kno all my dead friends fav brands

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

This may sound like a strange activity to get involved in, but the latest hotness for the recently passed is, believe it or not, all things rotten..!? This all-encompassing immersing of one's oneself in the rottenness, or "rotting" as it is properly called, actually turns out to be a pretty amazing global phenomena! Yep, for some unexplained reason, for our dearly departed "rotting" is now where apparently all the action is these days!

And heck, why not, while it's a bit unusual of a hobby it's not like it it's really dangerous or hurts anybody.

So Let's all Just Keep on Rottin!TM, -- as they would say... if they could peel themselves away from doing their rotting for just five minutes!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

sund posted:

i went into an irc channel i hadn't gone into for a few years and the first thing that greeted me was "RIP dlab" in the topic

he was like my mentor for years and got me into unix :smith:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

deep impact on vhs posted:

he got me into unix :smith:
i'm glad he's dead

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

jony ive aces posted: