Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm the roadie/recording engineer-mixer/social media fuckwit for an LA area punk band, and I'm trying to be a better social media fuckwit and have no idea what I'm doing. Can you guys give me some recommendation on good books/online seminars/poo poo I can read or see to make me better at getting the word out? These guys are good but none of us like that 'marketing' game and as a result we're holding ourselves back. I want to help but - again, have no idea what I'm doing.

Help me, goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Boobs and cats on everything.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'm the roadie/recording engineer-mixer/social media fuckwit for an LA area punk band, and I'm trying to be a better social media fuckwit and have no idea what I'm doing. Can you guys give me some recommendation on good books/online seminars/poo poo I can read or see to make me better at getting the word out? These guys are good but none of us like that 'marketing' game and as a result we're holding ourselves back. I want to help but - again, have no idea what I'm doing.

Help me, goons!

Any book on social media tends to be out of date by the time it actually gets on shelves.

Just think up some bands that are in a similar genre but who are good at social media. Look at what they post, who they follow and interact with, how frequently they post, etc. Do the same thing.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
It really is just getting on all the social media sites and updating/interacting multiple times per day. There's more to it if you're wondering about actually paying for things but if you are actually committed to doing the social media thing you have to keep up with it. If you do then you can put all that stuff on the band's fliers and such.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm not a marketer so I don't know what Cool Hax 4 Millennials will get you the Ca$h but as someone who uses these things just being consistently active and interesting (without being overactive and annoying) across platforms is usually key. Get a good handle on photography and photo editing, keep your Instagram active and put photosets on Tumblr from rehearsal or shows or road trips or whatever. Just be cool, fun, and present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Try and take advantage of larger/more established accounts with similar themes and content to grow and establish your own fanbase.

Be regular with content updates, even if only a few people are watching.

Take advantage of your personal networks to promote the band.

• Locked thread