Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Geez, Something Awful Cool Kids Club. Funco Pops aren't my jam either but if you want one or two of your favorite character they're pretty cute and harmless. I've never bought any myself, but a bunch of friends got me some of the Mass Effect ones one year. They knew I liked Mass Effect, and thought I'd like the toys. I don't take Garrus and Tali and reinact my favorite scenes with voices every day but it was nice of someone to think of me and what I like.

Now, if you're standing out in the rain at 4 AM for your limited edition Blanche Deveroux that will round out your collection to 350, that constitutes a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

*Hand-lettered* postcards and bookmarks. Funko pop figures not included!

I don't know what's more pathetic, the random-crap-in-a-box subscription services or the type of person willing to pay for such a thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bean posted:

Geez, Something Awful Cool Kids Club. Funco Pops aren't my jam either but if you want one or two of your favorite character they're pretty cute and harmless. I've never bought any myself, but a bunch of friends got me some of the Mass Effect ones one year. They knew I liked Mass Effect, and thought I'd like the toys. I don't take Garrus and Tali and reinact my favorite scenes with voices every day but it was nice of someone to think of me and what I like.

Now, if you're standing out in the rain at 4 AM for your limited edition Blanche Deveroux that will round out your collection to 350, that constitutes a problem.

They're ugly, useless garbage.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They're ugly, useless garbage.

No, that's what your parents said about you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gamestop bought Thinkgeek recently, and they've started devoting about a quarter of stores to that stuff too.

I've already seen some where Pops, Thinkgeek and other merchandise has pushed actual games to about a quarter of the store.

And they're busier for it.

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Gamestop bought Thinkgeek recently, and they've started devoting about a quarter of stores to that stuff too.

I've already seen some where Pops, Thinkgeek and other merchandise has pushed actual games to about a quarter of the store.

And they're busier for it.

Oh that probably explains why there's those funko pops at EB Games here.

There's also a store here pretty much dedicated to them and it's real confusing. I can't really say much though considering I went in and brought two of them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

queserasera posted:

I don't know what's more pathetic, the random-crap-in-a-box subscription services or the type of person willing to pay for such a thing.

Ashens reviews these on You Tube. I can see maybe giving one as a gift once, but not subscribing to them on a regular basis.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I got my sister a SpongeBob Funko thing when they first started coming out, because I thought it was creepy as poo poo. She did too, so she immediately stashed it in a drawer. This was the response I was hoping for because now whenever I'm at her house I take it out and hide it somewhere where she won't find it for at least a few days.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Inzombiac posted:

No, that's what your parents said about you.

Guess I'll be making a trip to the burn ward.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Adults with the Funko pop stuff is mystifying, but they work great as prizes in our coin-op machines. They're bright and colorful and appeal to kids, but are recognizable enough to parents as 'real' toys. Most parents realize that the generic plush in crane machines is total crap, but haven't figured out that we don't let anyone win the $8 toy until $40 of money has been put in.

I would like to nominate bic mechanical pencils for the crap product of all time. They might never go dull, but I swear I have to spend 30 seconds fiddling with the lead to get them to work right.

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy

yo rear end is grass posted:

I got my sister a SpongeBob Funko thing when they first started coming out, because I thought it was creepy as poo poo. She did too, so she immediately stashed it in a drawer. This was the response I was hoping for because now whenever I'm at her house I take it out and hide it somewhere where she won't find it for at least a few days.

I looked it up and jesus christ

I can see why you'd just throw it in a drawer. :(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Actually I could use a new bookmark. No idea where the old one's gone to.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Bean posted:

I'm gonna have to agree. I think they're kind of stupid and ugly too. I would never consider collecting them myself, but I get why some people do. My roommate is a huge comics guy and he has a ton of them because he's into the characters and likes collectible poo poo like that. I have one. It's a tiny keychain one of Daryl from walking dead that my girlfriends son bought for me because he knows I like that show. I have it hanging on my backpack cause I like it.

I don't get why they got so drat popular and I certainly wouldn't want to display them prominently in my home but they're not worthy of absolute hatred.

What is worthy of hatred is women's high waist pants. They looked like poo poo in the 70s and the 90s. Why they ever came back into fashion is a mystery to me. I don't exactly pine for the days of the super low thong showing thing from the 00's either but those drat high waist jeans are so unflattering. I think all women should just be nude from the waist down. Or from the neck down. Or from the feet up. Naked ladies all the time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think all women should have to wear this at all times

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I don't get why they got so drat popular and I certainly wouldn't want to display them prominently in my home but they're not worthy of absolute hatred.

I dunno dude, they are a pretty transparent icon of mindless and meaningless consumerism. Pretty easy to see why people would hate on them.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I know someone that gives their kids homeopathic medicine, particularly for the eldest who has tics.

I guess I could always say, "Homeopathy is a scam by idiots, for idiots," but I don't think she would respond to that.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Lipton tea is loving garbage. I love tea, and my family knows this. They'll be sweet sometimes and bring me tea so I don't have to buy it but they always get the loving Lipton tea that tastes like stale trash water. This is not tea, this is a fart in a bag and I hate it.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

nocal posted:

I know someone that gives their kids homeopathic medicine, particularly for the eldest who has tics.

I guess I could always say, "Homeopathy is a scam by idiots, for idiots," but I don't think she would respond to that.

Given how much money dumb fuckers spend every year on homeopathic medicine literally just water and sugar pills, I'd be hard pressed to describe the folks who came up with that particular scam as 'idiots'.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

OutsideAngel posted:

Given how much money dumb fuckers spend every year on homeopathic medicine literally just water and sugar pills, I'd be hard pressed to describe the folks who came up with that particular scam as 'idiots'.

I actually had this conversation with the person (whose husband works for a literal "big pharma" company):
Her: "We got the kids homeopathic flu shots" [this exists?]
"Do you know what homeopathy is based on? That you dilute something until not even an atom of medicine is in the water."
"Yeah."
"And the idea is that 'like cures like', so if you have a cough you take something that induces a cough."
"Yeah."

I mean I know this is how a disagreement works in real life, so I'm not surprised. But while I understand that people don't want to abandon their silly beliefs, how does one even begin to believe in homeopathy, anyway?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVV3QQ3wjC8

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

nocal posted:

"And the idea is that 'like cures like', so if you have a cough you take something that induces a cough."
I guess technically that's the original idea behind vaccines.

BUT

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

nocal posted:

I actually had this conversation with the person (whose husband works for a literal "big pharma" company):
Her: "We got the kids homeopathic flu shots" [this exists?]
"Do you know what homeopathy is based on? That you dilute something until not even an atom of medicine is in the water."
"Yeah."
"Yeah."

I mean I know this is how a disagreement works in real life, so I'm not surprised. But while I understand that people don't want to abandon their silly beliefs, how does one even begin to believe in homeopathy, anyway?

Aggressive marketing that pitches it as both a viable alternative medicine (gently caress you big pharma!) and a more "natural" remedy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It dates back multiple centuries and there are a few old documents to the effect of "this totally works I swear" from people who were doctors in their time. However that time was before modern medicine and things like peer review existed. There were many things then that people thought worked but do not. So there's a mix of conspiracy and magical thinking.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
And then add that a lot of people mix up natural herbal with homeopathic, and a lot of naturopaths are in no rush to correct them.

Ginger tincture for nausea? Great, actually works. Triple ghost memory of ginger in water for it? Not so much. clueless people often don't realize there's a difference, or they just know that their herbal medicine guy fixed a thing for them with actual medicine (e.g. the ginger thing or using nicotine for worms or kava for sleep and anxiety) so they trust him with homeopathy too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Loomer posted:

Ginger tincture for nausea? Great, actually works. Triple ghost memory of ginger in water for it? Not so much. clueless people often don't realize there's a difference, or they just know that their herbal medicine guy fixed a thing for them with actual medicine (e.g. the ginger thing or using nicotine for worms or kava for sleep and anxiety) so they trust him with homeopathy too.

Sure, taking random amounts of substances that probably work may be effective sometimes. I mean, some studies show that ginger may be effective for treating nausea in some circumstances, and that's probably just about as good as going to an actual medical professional and getting a specific dose of something that's been rigorously tested. It's pretty much the same thing :shrug:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Tiggum posted:

Sure, taking random amounts of substances that probably work may be effective sometimes. I mean, some studies show that ginger may be effective for treating nausea in some circumstances, and that's probably just about as good as going to an actual medical professional and getting a specific dose of something that's been rigorously tested. It's pretty much the same thing :shrug:

Mate, ginger beer is the tried and tested Aussie cure for an upset stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Pops are the pinnacle of dumb nerd poo poo

Like ThinkGeek or JINX did market research for years and came up with the perfect money sink for dumb nerds

• Locked thread