Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
My kitten is about 10 weeks old, male, neutered. My bigger kitty, who's 6 months old, uses the litter box normally. But the baby only poops and pees directly NEXT to the litter box. He never goes anywhere random, it's always a foot away from the box or less. I tried picking him up and placing him in the litter box, but he goes rigid and splays his feet and claws out like I'm trying to put him in a bucket of water or something. He generally attempts to cover his stuff up by scraping stray sand from the floor onto the mess, which indicates that he generally understands where he's supposed to go and what to do. But for some reason, he just won't go in the box itself! I scoop every day, so he's not avoiding a dirty box.

I live in a small apartment, and there's really only one feasible place to put a box, so I only have one. I know you're supposed to have two for two cats, but if I got another one it would have to be placed right next to the first one. I assume having two litter boxes is so that each cat can have a separate territory to poop/pee in, but if they're right next to each other, would it really make a difference?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

NationofCrustaceans posted:

My kitten is about 10 weeks old, male, neutered. My bigger kitty, who's 6 months old, uses the litter box normally. But the baby only poops and pees directly NEXT to the litter box. He never goes anywhere random, it's always a foot away from the box or less. I tried picking him up and placing him in the litter box, but he goes rigid and splays his feet and claws out like I'm trying to put him in a bucket of water or something. He generally attempts to cover his stuff up by scraping stray sand from the floor onto the mess, which indicates that he generally understands where he's supposed to go and what to do. But for some reason, he just won't go in the box itself! I scoop every day, so he's not avoiding a dirty box.

I live in a small apartment, and there's really only one feasible place to put a box, so I only have one. I know you're supposed to have two for two cats, but if I got another one it would have to be placed right next to the first one. I assume having two litter boxes is so that each cat can have a separate territory to poop/pee in, but if they're right next to each other, would it really make a difference?

Thanks.

What kind of litter do you use? Also, a second box right next to that one couldn't hurt?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Tidy cats. And yeah, I should probably try getting a second one to see.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

NationofCrustaceans posted:

Tidy cats. And yeah, I should probably try getting a second one to see.

Is it that crystal stuff? You could try something like world's best if two boxes doesn't help.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Crystal stuff is pretty nasty. I hated stepping on the stuff and bet my cats did too. Switched them to paper pellets eventually. So it could be a material feel issue. Try out small packs of a bunch of different ones. If your cat came from a shelter or breeder, try find what they were using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I got a second litter box, thoroughly cleaned the areas where he had been eliminating, and covered those areas up so they were inaccessible. No accidents in three days. Guess it really was that simple. Thanks for the responses.

• Locked thread