Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kase Im Licht posted:

So I and some friends were looking to do the Laugavegur hike from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork. Then we saw the big solstice concert and thought that would be a fun thing to do as well, but that won't work at all will it? It sounds like we won't be able to start the hike til late June, well after the solstice, and we're hoping to do this over one week (weekend to weekend, so about 9 days).

I guess we could arrive on the morning of June 17th, party and tour and then try and start the hike 21st? But that seems risky and going out and then not being able to actually do the hike would be a bummer. Maybe as a backup we could do the hike in reverse? Does the other end open up earlier?

It depends where you start. The trailhead starts at Skogafoss which is open all year-round since it's on the ring road. The part at Thorsmork on the F249 road is never open to rental cars and you MUST go with a tour group if you do not start all the way back at Skogafoss. Landmannalaugar is reasonably likely to still be closed to personal cars on the 21st. I'm not sure what happens if you hike in to Landmannalaugar without a tour group and before the road opens. I guess worst-case scenario, if the F208 is still closed, you can just hike yourself from Landmannalaugar to the power station at Krokslon (6 hours? maybe less, it's not that far) and then hitchhike from there. That part of the road is open year-round and there will be some traffic even if Landmannalaugar is closed, since people actually work there.

E: Just realized you and Aquila are not the same poster. The guided treks to Landmannalaugar start before the road officially opens, so if you go with a group (and expect to pay through the nose) you won't have any issue doing it.

Aquila posted:

I just booked June 17 to 26 roundtrip to Iceland and have also reserved my car rental. Hopefully weather is good and Solstice doesn't make things too crazy, this was the best time that I could take a week off work. My plan is maybe attempt the ring road (totally skipping Reykjavik) or if I can convince some friends to join me do a more leisurely circuit and also some mountain biking tours.

Outside of Reykjavik, nothing happens during the solstice. We arrived the night of the solstice party last year (I guess it will be the 16-17-18 this year although I did not look) and I would have never even known about it except for the people I met up with the next day had, unfortunately for them, camped right next to where it was happening.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You'd probs have to walk to the Hydroplant and then probably hitchhike from there yea

It wouldn't be that complicated I suppose, so long as you roughly managed to follow the road and didn't pick the wrong one and taking one left then going forward for 4 or so hours ain't that complex really

(do not do this if you have any respect for your time)

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Do rental car places (specifically Hertz since I'm renting through them) have a map of where you can and can't drive? We're getting a 4WD SUV and spending a small fortune on it; I'd hate to get charged a penalty, but I'm also kinda tilted that even with 4WD they won't let you go where you want. Obviously, I'm not going to attempt driving up a volcano or something silly like that.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

germskr posted:

Do rental car places (specifically Hertz since I'm renting through them) have a map of where you can and can't drive? We're getting a 4WD SUV and spending a small fortune on it; I'd hate to get charged a penalty, but I'm also kinda tilted that even with 4WD they won't let you go where you want. Obviously, I'm not going to attempt driving up a volcano or something silly like that.

You can't drive offroads in any car, rental or not.

For roads, all rental agencies ban you from crossing the Krossa river on the F249. I don't think any other roads are expressly banned, but most-if-not-all rental agencies' insurance won't cover you if you do end up loving up a river crossing, even if you bought all the extra insurance packages.

You're also (obviously?) not covered if you're on an F-road when it's officially closed by the Icelandic government. This will be pretty obvious because they always put up road blocks when a road is closed, so you'd have to specifically go offroads to drive around it to continue on the road and it would not be possible to accidentally end up on a closed road.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Saladman posted:

You can't drive offroads in any car, rental or not.

For roads, all rental agencies ban you from crossing the Krossa river on the F249. I don't think any other roads are expressly banned, but most-if-not-all rental agencies' insurance won't cover you if you do end up loving up a river crossing, even if you bought all the extra insurance packages.

You're also (obviously?) not covered if you're on an F-road when it's officially closed by the Icelandic government. This will be pretty obvious because they always put up road blocks when a road is closed, so you'd have to specifically go offroads to drive around it to continue on the road and it would not be possible to accidentally end up on a closed road.

To clarify, F roads, not gonna be the douche who puts tread marks on someone's yard/garden. Getting mixed signals because some folks are saying you can't drive on certain F roads in a rental, even if it has 4WD.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

germskr posted:

To clarify, F roads, not gonna be the douche who puts tread marks on someone's yard/garden. Getting mixed signals because some folks are saying you can't drive on certain F roads in a rental, even if it has 4WD.

Call the rental desk where you are picking up in Iceland and ask them. My non-4x4 contract was no F roads at all; I've heard the same for some 4x4 rentals.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

Call the rental desk where you are picking up in Iceland and ask them. My non-4x4 contract was no F roads at all; I've heard the same for some 4x4 rentals.

Yeah, almost all / all non-4x4 rentals are no F roads. OTOH if your rental agency for a 4x4 doesn't allow any F roads, then it's an abysmal rental agency that you should avoid. I've heard a few other roads (e.g. to Askja) are sometimes forbidden, but I never actually came across that when I checked like 10 different agencies—they all just banned F249 and nothing but F249.

I went with Blue / Reykjavik Cars (the same company as far as I can tell? they have the same office, at least) and rented a manual 4x4 Dacia Duster, which was a great car and was less than 1/2 the price of renting the same thing with Hertz / Avis / MajorInternationalCarrier for the same period.

E: But yeah, of course look through the fine print of your agency. If you do a search for "F249" or "F 249" you'll probably find the section where they talk about which roads are forbidden.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 26, 2017

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Ideas for four/five people with 3 nights on the south coast in August? Bonus would be some F roads for 4x4. I'm thinking golden circle one day, Reykjavik another. Travelling with family and one of us cant walk very well so hiking long distances could be out of the question.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Ideas for four/five people with 3 nights on the south coast in August? Bonus would be some F roads for 4x4. I'm thinking golden circle one day, Reykjavik another. Travelling with family and one of us cant walk very well so hiking long distances could be out of the question.

If you go as far as Jokulsarlon, the F985 is a fun drive to the top of the glacier. Takes about an hour each way and it goes actually to the top of the glacier. Dirt road but it's an easy drive. I'm not sure i'd recommend it if it's cloudy, but it goes a drat long way upThere's a little hut you can stop and get coffee at, and if you want you can continue on a guided tour by superjeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

What would Iceland be like in November? I assume not great because of the short amount of sun? We were thinking of doing a vacation in London (from Boston), and doing a stop over in Iceland for some amount of time (3-4 days maybe?). Flights are about $380 USD/each if that factors in your decisions, and we were hoping cuz there wouldn't be too man people that it would still be great.

• Locked thread