Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Pictionary

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
secret answer: draw a skull chilling on a podium with some seeds, a shell and can

drawing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0-7brHLdwQ

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I just read that the human won one game,but since the robutt has already won three and it's a best of five series, the human still has to pay the robutt one million human dollars.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Improbable Lobster posted:

teach ai to build and paint warhammer

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Smythe posted:

Russian roulette

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
i'd heard about the starcraft bot competition but didn't know that

quote:

However, despite the number of AI programs taking part, human players still triumphed.

idk how the starcraft 2 ones work but for starcraft 1 there were like 2 stages in development of custom AI stuff:
  • hacking the data files governing the game's own "ai" scripts to give computer players better build orders and stuff - this was pretty limited in what could be done since a lot was still hardcoded so p much always relied on script functions that cheated and gave the computer player free minerals. i knew a guy who was pretty into doing that but his magnum opus was a thing designed for a team of 7 human players to get owned by 1 ai player, which relied not only on the cheats in the custom ai script, but also on a mod that restricted humans to playing terran or protoss while the ai was "zerg" modded to have overpowered demonic units lol

• then later the memory structures used by the game exe were mapped out so people developed an api to interfere with that to allow the writing of "ai" that read in game information and directly assigned orders so could better handle things like micromanagement for the first time. direct memory access could also be used for cheating (in fps terms you wanted the ai to act like it had an aimbot but not a wallhack), so afaik part of the goal of the api was also to only expose the same data a human player should be able to see. this was when things got cool but afaik it only caught on when i was already on my way out of the starcraft modding scene like after starcraft 2 had been announced or maybe even released lol - i looked into using the memory hacking stuff to do modding stuff for a single player campaign but like most starcraft modding projects never released anything. but now you get the tourneys and academic researchers and stuff involved and it seems p cool

with AI bots they can do 0wnage things with micromanagement like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feMCx0NivuE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PLplRDSgpo
(lomarf @ the low graphics settings)

but that's p interesting that even they can apparently still be beaten by humans, i guess mainly just from the macro-level stuff? afaik all the "ais" are all just based on what i guess you'd call a human-designed decision tree; if google threw deep neural nets at it, abstracting it beyond what any human could comprehend, that would potentially be p cool until they start using it to micromanage terminators i guess

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
cricket, op

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
rollerball

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what would impress me more is if rather than designing chesmast.cmd or 10dan_go.exe there was a single system that could learn and play nearly any game you threw at it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what would impress me more is if rather than designing chesmast.cmd or 10dan_go.exe there was a single system that could learn and play nearly any game you threw at it

The Gurgeh Program. Interesting.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when alphago and boston dynamics combine forces to create the world number one at dance dance go... holy fuckin jesus titty eating naked christ

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

that is totally their goal. this is just one of the first steps towards that. next they've said they will retrain alphago from scratch rather than an initial database of human games. If that works it should be possible to do it for any no hidden information game.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
risk to give them a taste of global domination

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

itd be cool to set up several ai on some sort of game, dont teach them how to play it but if an ai wins they get a "treat"
how quickly would they learn how to win?

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Awia posted:

how quickly would they learn how to win?

about as long as it takes for the machine intelligence to realize the goal of getting the reward button pressed can be more easily achieved by building a robot to press the button, and then decide that the button pressing robot must be protected by eliminating anything that can interfere with button pressing robots

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Tatsujin posted:

risk to give them a taste of global domination

risk sucks as a game, the ai would probably just camp in australia like everyone else

Godzillion
Feb 29, 2016
:nws: https://youtu.be/cmcnJyOyu34

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

The only game: PUA

They do: http://www.cybergrandchallenge.com/

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
jelqing, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
twister

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
singstar

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the game of love :wink:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
edgeplay would be a good thing for AIs to learn

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Most Dangerous Game imo

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

The Most Dangerous Game imo

do you want terminators? because that's how you get terminators.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

do you want terminators?

P much yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
i'm the teams from moscow and athens that are actually just from lovely little US american towns like all the others

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

didn't they do that with Atari games with deepmind

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0yDtRolrn0

• Locked thread