Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I started as a Thief and I'm a few hours in, hearing Thiefs and daggers suck, can I just make him a sword wielder or should I restart. I struggle to deal damage at times.

No need to restart. You can buy a level 0 sword from a blacksmith, so no need to even put points into swording yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i reaaaally feel like i'm missing something with this game. on paper i should love it, huge castlevania and souls fan, but it just feels really janky and lovely and frustrating, on top of being super ugly. i've got up to the mad alchemist, using the claymore upgraded a few times right now, did i miss something important or is that sorta how the game is?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Million Ghosts posted:

i reaaaally feel like i'm missing something with this game. on paper i should love it, huge castlevania and souls fan, but it just feels really janky and lovely and frustrating, on top of being super ugly. i've got up to the mad alchemist, using the claymore upgraded a few times right now, did i miss something important or is that sorta how the game is?

It stays about the same for most of the run time, and then takes a pretty steep nosedive at the end IMO. I'd say stick with it through the next couple areas and if you still aren't into it you probably won't be

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I just started playing this, stupid question time!

How do I break secret walls? I've tried attacking, rolling into them and grenades and that doesn't seem to work. At first I thought maybe the bottles on the ground were trolling me, but now I know I found a secret area that looks only to be accessible by breaking a wall.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

I just started playing this, stupid question time!

How do I break secret walls? I've tried attacking, rolling into them and grenades and that doesn't seem to work. At first I thought maybe the bottles on the ground were trolling me, but now I know I found a secret area that looks only to be accessible by breaking a wall.

Press circle/B/whatever your deny button is.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Disemboweled Husk is loving stupid. It's the first wall I've hit with the bosses and the walk back is the absolute worst in the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I feel your pain. I wish I could offer some tips but from what i remember, I beat my head against him until I finally "got" the attack patterns and then I won. Felt drat good too, but I don't think there really was a trick. Remember that you can block; trying to dodge the gun every single time was leading to my demise way too often. You should have at least one shield with OK fire defense.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I always keep forgetting that I can jump certain attacks in this game because I'm trying too hard to play it like Dark Souls.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Speaking of jumping, you can jump over Husk's horizontal shot, turning it into a huge opening for damage.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Bringing Fire or Holy weapon buffs in can also make things quicker, I think Holy does more damage than Fire but either work.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Disemboweled Husk is loving stupid. It's the first wall I've hit with the bosses and the walk back is the absolute worst in the game.

There's a route from the bonfire that takes you up and over most of the level, dropping down again to reach the boss.

I can't be more helpful that than but if you're not going up out of the bonfire you're using the harder run.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Reviving this topic to say that Disemboweled Husk really is the dumbest fight and the worst bonfire run in the game thus far. The shittiest part is that you can't run past any of the enemies on the way to him. They're all capable of flying or teleporting and will just follow you all the way to Husk's arena. The boss itself deals horrifying amounts of unblockable damage and can chain pistol shots faster than your stamina can recover. I keep getting into this dance where he'll just keep doing the double pistol shot without pausing so even if I nail all the dodge rolls I'll eventually just run out of stamina and eat a bullet no matter what. Plus, he's so wide that if you're in heavy armor you can't fatroll past him (and without heavy armor he's capable of one shot kills).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Reviving this topic to say that Disemboweled Husk really is the dumbest fight and the worst bonfire run in the game thus far. The shittiest part is that you can't run past any of the enemies on the way to him. They're all capable of flying or teleporting and will just follow you all the way to Husk's arena. The boss itself deals horrifying amounts of unblockable damage and can chain pistol shots faster than your stamina can recover. I keep getting into this dance where he'll just keep doing the double pistol shot without pausing so even if I nail all the dodge rolls I'll eventually just run out of stamina and eat a bullet no matter what. Plus, he's so wide that if you're in heavy armor you can't fatroll past him (and without heavy armor he's capable of one shot kills).

Good thing he's completely optional.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

He's not that bad. On a more helpful note, there's a shortcut. It's been a while, but if you go to the up and left path from spawn to a... Group of disappearing platforms I think? If you jump from the furthest possible point you'll skip most of the way there, and you can easily run past what's left. I'm sure you can find a video on youtube or something.

E: this is what i get for checking old bookmarks on mobile

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Somehow this thread isn't archived yet, so look at this!

https://www.reddit.com/r/saltandsanctuary/comments/5iv926/pax_empyreans_weapon_overhaul_mod/

A cool weapon balance overhaul. The post is longer than a short length novel, but here's a summary

quote:

Holy poo poo that's a wall of text, explain this whole thing in one convoluted run-on sentence
I remade all the weapons from scratch so everything is about equally good, like straight Wisdom builds don't suck, mixed STR/DEX builds are a viable New Game+ thing, Endurance can boost your offense indirectly, Wands and Bows and Crossbows aren't poo poo anymore, weapon upgrades and stat scaling are predictable, there's a staff and a wand that cast magic but scale off of Wisdom (DARK SOULS TIN DARKMOON CATALYST UP IN THIS BITCH), New Game+ didn't add much but I fixed that, and the rest of this post is me hyping all the cool poo poo I did and telling you exactly how I did it.

This might just get me to do another playthrough, although I already did mine with DEX which is the main thing that's balanced here.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sounds really cool. I stopped playing because I got completely lost, Dark Souls 3 got released and then a week ago I got a PS4 to play Bloodborne but I really want to restart and do a proper run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I still have fond memories of this game, but I really don't know if I'll ever go back and replay it, the systems just didn't feel as deep as Dark Souls 3. That being said, like, four people total made this game, which is kind of incredible given how huge it is. Even now I'll still remember some of the weirder bosses fondly, and the bizarre levels are pretty varied.

• Locked thread