Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

Valatar posted:

Dragon's Prophet. It was briefly in the US on Sony's servers, crashed and burned, got shut down last year. I tried it when it was in beta, and it was a giant loving mess. The concept was pretty sweet, because who doesn't want to come flapping in on Onyxia and ruin everything's poo poo? However, the animations for everything were janky, you'd be doing some big martial arts combo on some random rat and it would just sit there, motionless, with no sign that you were even touching it until it eventually fell over.

It was bad and I am glad for its death.

Otherwise I'll just tag on to the SWTOR / FFXIV recommendations. Companions in SWTOR are good and Summoner / Scholar are awesome fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
FF14 has the woefully underused Chocobo pet system. Your chocobo can tank/heal/dps for you and it has its own level up track. You can also smash berries into its stupid face until it turns your favorite shade of puke green (or whatever you're into). You can also unlock cute costumes for it, and ride it.

It's not a class per say, but the option is there.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bakalakadaka posted:

Wrong. Dogs were the best because they had a hilariously halfassed knockdown animation.

My MM was like Demon/Dark or some such nonsense and it was.... not great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

FF14 has the woefully underused Chocobo pet system. Your chocobo can tank/heal/dps for you and it has its own level up track. You can also smash berries into its stupid face until it turns your favorite shade of puke green (or whatever you're into). You can also unlock cute costumes for it, and ride it.

It's not a class per say, but the option is there.

What your chocobo isn't max lvl making him a tank dps healer? I botted almost every class to max lvl and my chocobo still wasn't max level.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Valatar posted:

Prediction: haha no

My babby's first MMO experience was being a magician in Everquest, which rocked. You could pick between various elementals depending on your needs, put gear on them to customize them, go on quests to buff them up, it set a really high bar for me.

I went through a few other games ignoring or disliking pet classes until I hit WoW. Warlocks didn't click quite as much for me as their demons never really got good enough to compete with just dropping DOTs on everything and calling it a day. I liked the hunters a fair deal more, since they had a wide variety, you had to get off your rear end and search around if you wanted a unique-looking pet, and there were some interesting customization options.

From there I hit up FFXI, got the summoner class and holy poo poo. Really unique, really useful, had to go on really challenging quests to get them, it was close to a perfect setup. Unfortunately the class as a whole is fairly weak, but I had a really good time getting chains with my avatars.

Given the things I've liked and things I've disliked, I've gotten something resembling a list for what makes good summoner play in games in my book:

• The pet can't just be a walking DOT. If all it does is raw damage, it's boring.
  • The pet needs to be powerful enough to be considered the primary class feature.
  • The class needs to have sufficient control over the pet to manage its abilities and aggro. 'Fire and forget' is not really a pet, more an attack with a pet animation.
  • The pet should be customizable in some way, preferably in a mechanical sense, but at the very least in a visual sense, so you're not going around looking identical to every other summoner.
  • Some amount of the class's gameplay should revolve around finding/getting/improving the pet. If you get it from a trainer for three silver like any other ability, there's no sense of accomplishment.
  • The class should have more than one option for pet. It doesn't have to be but so complex; basic archetypes like tanky pet, damage pet, crowd control pet, etc suffice.
  • Short-duration, high-cooldown pets don't count. Something that you can only use for thirty seconds out of every five minutes doesn't suffice to base a class concept around.

No game I've found recently really seems to be able to hit the right notes. GW2's ranger pets mostly just suck, and the mesmer and necro pets are more walking DOTs than participants in a fight. Skyforge's necro pets are also of the walking DOT variety. City of Villains had it pretty good with the mastermind, but they're gone. I'd heard some good stuff about Warhammer's pet classes, but of course they're gone too. FFXIV's summoner just plain sucks compared to FFXI's. LOTRO's pets are either walking buffs or fairly inconsequential. SWTOR's companions are essentially pretty well done pets, but no class is focused around their use.

Anyhow, if anyone knows of a recentish MMO with a summoner that actually meets a large number of my requirements, I'd appreciate getting a heads-up!

Yeah, Everquest had me chasing the dragon for a kind of satisfaction I would never feel from newer, lesser MMORPG's as well. There's a reason I'm still playing classic Everquest 17 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Valatar posted:

GW2's ranger pets mostly just suck, and the mesmer and necro pets are more walking DOTs than participants in a fight.

So I don't know when you played last, but there have been updates to gw2's ranger class and their pets. Like within the past 4-5 months or so? They basically no longer suck rear end.

The pets stats and survivability have been tweaked, and they finally take heavily reduced damage if not the target so boss aoe no longer kills them instantly. The ranger skills are now setup such that they affect both you and your pet without any extra traits as well. Basically lot of the downfalls with the ranger class and their pets have been really worked on.

Also the minion ai has been improved, but yeah necromancer minions and mesmer phantasms are just fire and forget dots.

• Locked thread