Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Jumpsuit posted:

I've been recruiting internally for an 18-month parental leave contract in my team and offered the role to an outstanding junior candidate who was on a 4-month contract elsewhere in the organisation. At the same time she was also offered a similar length contract role in another team alongside mine, so used that leverage with me to get to the top of the salary band.

Then she went to her manager with offer in hand to resign, and her manager counter-offered her permanency and the same top-of-band salary to stay in that role. Permanency won out, so she's staying put. Proud of her for getting what she needed but drat I am devastated at a) losing her and b) having to go through recruitment hell again.

That is rough, but good for the candidate. Them negotiating that well just validates the decision!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That's kinda ballsy to play everyone against each other in the same company but obviously she had leverage

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

That's kinda ballsy to play everyone against each other in the same company but obviously she had leverage

Well played by her. But I'd keep my resume state of the art if I were her. She has them over a barrel now, and smartly turned her leverage into money, but they may get right to work mitigating that and then looking for someone cheaper for the long term. Unless this is outside the US and in a jurisdiction where "permanency" is contractual and not just a pinky promise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well played by her. But I'd keep my resume state of the art if I were her. She has them over a barrel now, and smartly turned her leverage into money, but they may get right to work mitigating that and then looking for someone cheaper for the long term. Unless this is outside the US and in a jurisdiction where "permanency" is contractual and not just a pinky promise.

At most of my client companies in the big global manufacturing space, once you're in on the permanent side, you're in. If a manager or department is looking for someone cheaper it's a contract head that comes out of a totally different space, and the contractors are the first to get let go or hosed over by any restructure. If your job gets restructured you're likely shifting to a different permanent role because permanent headcount are very hard to get and being a permanent employee has value to whatever department picks you up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At most of my client companies in the big global manufacturing space, once you're in on the permanent side, you're in. If a manager or department is looking for someone cheaper it's a contract head that comes out of a totally different space, and the contractors are the first to get let go or hosed over by any restructure. If your job gets restructured you're likely shifting to a different permanent role because permanent headcount are very hard to get and being a permanent employee has value to whatever department picks you up.

That is a fair and valid point.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TheParadigm posted:

Could you phrase it in a way that says 'I also need an annual bonus to cover the tax implications of your health plan'. Not necesarily to get them to agree, but to get them to be more forthcoming with their plan details?
Nah, because the contract states that bonuses are not guaranteed and taxation is taken at source here so there's no point losing money every month to get whacked with a bigger amount the final month and have the government assume my regular pay went up.

Turns out the allowance paid for professional certifications does not cover the one certification I have on the pathway they value, so I'm going back to them and telling them to up their offer anyway. All I wanted from this was to not go down in pay.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I wouldn't be too worried. She was on a contract and was going to go to another contact (but better) and then got offered a full time position. Getting rid of her would be very strange now that she's is full time.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I have been hiring permanently since joining my new role. Last year I hired a team of 5 up to 8, then once I filled my headcount I was given another set of problems to fix and told to hire a larger team to go fix it. I’m now being threatened with another set of interesting(tm) problems to fix.

As a result, in the past few months I have done somewhere between sixty and eighty interviews as hiring manager. Here’s some stuff you can do if you’re applying for a role with someone like me to make it more likely they will go fight HR if necessary to get more resources to hire you.

* Ask good questions during the interview. Be interested in the role. Curiosity is an extremely strong indicator of a good hire.
* Have some cool or interesting insight about our business. At a minimum, know what we do and who our main competitors are.
* Know your domain well, be able to answer technical questions.
* Give concrete examples as much as possible. Lots of people can BS convincingly, but fall apart when you ask them to give examples
* Push back if you disagree with something and think you can back yourself.
* Ask for a second interview with me after receiving but before accepting your offer. One candidate did this and had such great questions I was impressed.

There’s a limit to how much a hiring manager can actually achieve by tussling with HR, but the expected outcome isn’t zero.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

:australia: and in a university which undergoes restructures on the professional side every few years, so having permanency is a massive plus in this environment because a) fixed-term contractors are the first to go in any restructure and b) only permanent staff are entitled to redundancy payouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

I have been hiring permanently since joining my new role. Last year I hired a team of 5 up to 8, then once I filled my headcount I was given another set of problems to fix and told to hire a larger team to go fix it. I’m now being threatened with another set of interesting(tm) problems to fix.

As a result, in the past few months I have done somewhere between sixty and eighty interviews as hiring manager. Here’s some stuff you can do if you’re applying for a role with someone like me to make it more likely they will go fight HR if necessary to get more resources to hire you.

* Ask good questions during the interview. Be interested in the role. Curiosity is an extremely strong indicator of a good hire.
* Have some cool or interesting insight about our business. At a minimum, know what we do and who our main competitors are.
* Know your domain well, be able to answer technical questions.
* Give concrete examples as much as possible. Lots of people can BS convincingly, but fall apart when you ask them to give examples
* Push back if you disagree with something and think you can back yourself.
* Ask for a second interview with me after receiving but before accepting your offer. One candidate did this and had such great questions I was impressed.

There’s a limit to how much a hiring manager can actually achieve by tussling with HR, but the expected outcome isn’t zero.

This is a good post. Thanks for sharing!