Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klKiimtMgSE

Reply All is a podcast about the internet. The internet being a big thing, this means that episodes can cover a wide range of topics that span the entire spectrum of human experience. Each week PJ Vogt and Alex Goldman discuss a topic that they and their team have been researching and interviewing for, often with fantastic results, and the odd side bit like Yes Yes No where they try to explain internet things like "little white cuck ball" a and "0.5x A Press run in Super Mario 64"

I really like Reply All because while it is often funny, it doesn't become full-blown atrocity tourism like The F-Plus and other similar podcasts and can evoke emotions other than just laughter. It's also downright investigative at times, with the hosts getting interviews and finding original content with a strong narrative streak throughout to guide it.

A few good sampler episodes:

Exit & Return Part 1 and Part 2 - A Hasidic Jew gets a desktop computer in the 90s and eventually is discovered and shunned for using this forbidden technology. Years later the Hasidic community struggles to make an internet that is safe for them to use.

Why Is Mason Reese Crying? - An exploration of nostalgia on YouTube through the lens of a 70s advertising figure.

The Time Traveler And The Hitman - The guy who made that one time travel ad in the classifieds talks about all the things people told him they wanted to travel back in time to fix.

Silence and Repect - A young woman has her digital life destroyed a rebuilt after a picture of her draws the ire of the internet.

Favor Atender - Small South American governments use social media so closely that you can tweet at the President, with everything that entails.

The Takeover - A Bored teenager makes a satirical facebook group for a fictional company that winds up being overwhelmed by actual office workers who aren't quite in on the joke.

The Flower Child - The creator of RipoffReport.com is quite a character!

Taking Power - An expose on the world of underground prank calling.

Zardulu - In which it is posited that there is a vast conspiracy involving training rats to do things like carry pizza and take selfies in the name of art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU

Their previous podcast TLDR deals with similar topics and is also excellent.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The story section is generally pretty good but I don't know why it gets followed up with 3 people agonisingly trying to figure out memes from first principles for 10 minutes.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Really good show. I've been listening to it on and off for a while now and I gotta say it has some of the best production values and professionalism I've ever heard on any podcast.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tracula posted:

Really good show. I've been listening to it on and off for a while now and I gotta say it has some of the best production values and professionalism I've ever heard on any podcast.

Yeah, Gimlet is such a fantastic studio and I hope there is a big industry to follow.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
This is a really good show. Particularly the two-parter about the hasidic jew is fantastic. In general, I feel like Gimlet shows blows most of the podcast world out of the water in terms of production value.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Erland posted:

This is a really good show. Particularly the two-parter about the hasidic jew is fantastic. In general, I feel like Gimlet shows blows most of the podcast world out of the water in terms of production value.

I just finished that right now. I liked the first part better, but yeah it was great. Gimlet is amazing, though I don't like Surprisingly Awesome and I think it doesn't fit with their company. It doesn't tell stories; it's just another sciency informative podcast. Granted, I've only listened to two episodes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

blue squares posted:

I just finished that right now. I liked the first part better, but yeah it was great. Gimlet is amazing, though I don't like Surprisingly Awesome and I think it doesn't fit with their company. It doesn't tell stories; it's just another sciency informative podcast. Granted, I've only listened to two episodes.

You have wrong opinions, that's OK.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

:tipshat:

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I really enjoy Reply All.

Please - no more sad dog stories.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FBI are watching this page...do not use illegal gifs...

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tulpamancy... What the poo poo

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

blue squares posted:

Tulpamancy... What the poo poo

I listen to The Fplus so unfortunately this craziness is nothing new to me.

be nice
Sep 18, 2016

ok pls press 1 for summons
I don't listen to a lot of organized podcasts with the themes and intermissions and things like that, I prefer the Cox N Crendor / Mega 64 format, but this was a nice introduction to these types, I listened to 12 episodes straight today at work, any more Gimlet podcasts people can recommend?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

benicedesu posted:

I don't listen to a lot of organized podcasts with the themes and intermissions and things like that, I prefer the Cox N Crendor / Mega 64 format, but this was a nice introduction to these types, I listened to 12 episodes straight today at work, any more Gimlet podcasts people can recommend?

All of them imo. Mystery Show is a good start since it is only 6 episodes. If you are really picky listen to episode 1 and then the belt buckle episode. After that, start working through season 1 of Start Up. Its a serial narrative and addictive

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
An episode on shitposting and the alt-right the day after GBS gets shut down? :feelsgood:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for this thread as I've listened to a handful of episodes over the last few months and always enjoyed them. I really liked the way he handled the politics of The Clicker guy this week, it would've been easy to look down at him and his app (and eh, maybe it would be slightly deserved) but they took the higher road and it made it a better story.

Already subscribed to all 3 of those new Gimlet shows at the end, although I'm worried about the mixing in the fiction one, as even in that one scene I found it hard to distinguish the voices from the incidental sounds even through a decent speaker.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Last week's episode was amazing because you got to experience three people learning about loss.jpg for the first time in their lives all at once in real time.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Guy Mann posted:

Last week's episode was amazing because you got to experience three people learning about loss.jpg for the first time in their lives all at once in real time.

This sounds too good to be true. I absolutely need to listen to this :allears:

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Guy Mann posted:

God, that one killed me. I hadn't seen the original tweet yet, but the minute he read the text of it I started cracking up because literally what else would it be about except loss.jpg.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Tracula posted:

This sounds too good to be true. I absolutely need to listen to this :allears:
and it's with Jason Mantzoukas too of all people, never thought I would hear something like this.

Sadly they miss a whole lot of the good backstory to why Ctrl-Alt-Del and that comic is hated, but still good stuff

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
This along with Criminal is becoming one of my favourite podcasts. The medium is actually perfect for digging just a little deeper than you would expect in weird, quirky internet stories. #53, the one about the couple in an apartment that ended up getting people looking for their cellphones constantly was a favourite.

Zsinjeh posted:

Sadly they miss a whole lot of the good backstory to why Ctrl-Alt-Del and that comic is hated, but still good stuff
Yeah, I can understand it coming from the outside in, but they seemed to interpret Loss as being something completely out of the blue, when it was actually the culmination of Tim Buckley's slow years-long transformation into an egotistical dipshit.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Guy Mann posted:

The specific parody that brought loss.jpg to their attention is one of the best ones I've seen in a while:

:eyepop:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zsinjeh posted:

and it's with Jason Mantzoukas too of all people, never thought I would hear something like this.

I loved the Zooks reveal in that ep. Didn't he pick up instantly on the awful way Buckley draws faces too? I like how everyone learning about CAD for the first time went from 'they're mocking a comic about miscarriage?' to 'ha, this guy probably deserves it' within a few seconds.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr.Radar posted:

The specific parody that brought loss.jpg to their attention is one of the best ones I've seen in a while:

:eyepop:

"So I just – I just want to make sure — you just compared Anime Dad to James Joyce."

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Zsinjeh posted:

I was really hoping they'd play the audio of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtsek8E0eNY
to establish the type of shittiness that CAD is.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
This all does remind me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60JlM6ZXHc

God. It really has been four loving years since Strangle. It does not feel like that long.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Newest Reply All was pretty fun, I liked how long it took them to realize this was a really dumb idea, and how often someone needed to go sleep. Nice change of format.

Also the first two episodes of Undone were really good, I'm glad I actually listened to advertising for once.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I don't think I can do 30 more hours of this...

"It's 42 hours left, we've only been doing it for 6 hours"

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Phone call episode is no doubt some kind of strange masterpiece, in spite of the fact that they come off like total wusses.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Yeah, the call-in show was super good.
I also wish they did more investigative stuff like they did with "Wayne" and all that. Reminds me of Mystery Show (before it got cancelled :sigh: ) and it's what got me into Reply All.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Phone call episode is no doubt some kind of strange masterpiece, in spite of the fact that they come off like total wusses.

The hosts publicly owning themselves is one of my favorite things about the show, even if they're not in on the joke. The part of the episode about Google ad scammers where he plays a recording of him impotently trying to chew out some Indian call center guy about being overcharged for plane tickets is so awkward.

• Locked thread