Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What age should it be illegal to vote?
40-49
50-59
60-69
70-79
80-89
90-99
100-199
View Results

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

Yeah but you could just write in Darth Vader or some poo poo when the time comes for mandatory voting. You're really not disproving it as a good idea.
i plan to write in Orville Redenbacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

symbolic posted:

i feel like not voting because i hate everyone running

i have broken your idea, gimmee five

'I'm waiting on the perfect candidate!' is a really bad reason not to vote imo.

Compulsory voting would be good for America.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

symbolic posted:

i feel like not voting because i hate everyone running

i have broken your idea, gimmee five

Voting for president in America is an illusion. The president is appointed by corporate interests, and has been for about 50 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyBNmecVtdU&t=549s

Ike was the last president to be elected before this, and there will be no other.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

crabcakes66 posted:

'I'm waiting on the perfect candidate!' is a really bad reason not to vote imo.
i know there will never be a candidate that appeals to all the stances i share, but if there's one that represents the majority, then yeah he's got my vote

i would vote for Bernie but i really think he's just acting as a snake oil salesman. also there'd be so much congressional gridlock, nothing would happen.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

Voting for president in America is an illusion. The president is appointed by corporate interests, and has been for about 50 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyBNmecVtdU&t=549s

Ike was the last president to be elected before this, and there will be no other.
Ike was pretty cool but he also turned the 50s into a Communist witch hunt that led to adding "under God" to the U.S. pledge of allegiance and making "In God We Trust" the U.S. slogan or whatever and that in turn led to people claiming that America is indeed a Christian country and eugh

i like LBJ because he would show his penis to people and named it "Jumbo"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'd let 8-10 year olds vote. Old enough to read and have opinions. Some kids are really sensible around 10 years old, just before the hormones kick in and ruin everything for the next 10 years until they get it under control..

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

symbolic posted:

i like LBJ because he would show his penis to people and named it "Jumbo"

Should be a requirement for running imo.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
What if the government issued little tokens that you could redeem for a vote? And the law allowed you to take these tokens from other people? Imagine it: Young activists robbing retirement communities to secure ever more votes for Bernie. Gun nuts slaughtering people so they can get more votes for whoever the gun candidate is. Farmers hold crops ransom for vote tokens, plan to elect Old McDonald. Silicon Valley never votes again, as the growing maelstrom of nerds gets bullied out of their vote tokens.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

symbolic posted:

Ike was pretty cool but he also turned the 50s into a Communist witch hunt that led to adding "under God" to the U.S. pledge of allegiance and making "In God We Trust" the U.S. slogan or whatever and that in turn led to people claiming that America is indeed a Christian country and eugh

I think you're confusing Ike with Hoover

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

I think you're confusing Ike with Hoover
no?

"under God" was added to the pledge in '54, "In God We Trust" came in '56, both of which were officially signed into action by Ike

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

symbolic posted:

no?

"under God" was added to the pledge in '54, "In God We Trust" came in '56, both of which were officially signed into action by Ike

Oh ok, you're right. I still like Ike because he warned us of the military-industrial complex which would ruin our lives and economy and has actually come to pass.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

Oh ok, you're right. I still like Ike because he warned us of the military-industrial complex which would ruin our lives and economy and has actually come to pass.
he also did some cool poo poo like the interstate highway system

i like ike

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

symbolic posted:

he also did some cool poo poo like the interstate highway system

i like ike

god drat right

Ike is the best pres of the 20th century

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Just remember. Something Awful Dot Com El El CEE is simply a front for the Cee Eye EH.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Voting rights (like most things) shouldn't depend on age, it should depend on IQ.
If you're below the threshold, you're officially too dumb to vote.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Don't be a sore loser op

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
The very first time you unironically utter the phrase, "In my day," you are done. That's it. You lose your voting rights, your driver's license, and what remains of your dignity. We put you in a wheelchair, throw a blanket over your lap, and roll you out into the yard where you can shake your impotent little fists as people who still have life left in them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

symbolic posted:

are you like 50?

i am the youngest of my siblings

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'd say make the cutoff at birth and we are all gonna be better for it. America needs a proper king (or a negus), this democracy fad is unsustainable and gets people like Trump and Obama elected.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Good thing this site is for 13-17 year olds, otherwise this thread would be super embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Everyone from newborns to the very elderly should have a vote, but if they require a caregiver, it should be proxied out to that caregiver. So, one of your parents gets two votes when you're born, and they keep it until you voluntarily claim it. Then when you are too old to give a poo poo (without assistance) your vote goes to whoever is wiping your rear end.

• Locked thread