Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.

The Covenant have just glassed planet Reach; killing many human colonies. Now they've found a floating ring in space that can be used to wipe out the rest of the human race. It is up to the UNSC and everyone's favorite superhuman in a suit of armor to stop them.

Halo Combat Evolved is a first-person shooting game that was released in 2001 as an exclusive launch title for the Xbox. On its tenth anniversary, they rereleased the game on the Xbox 360 with a complete graphics overhaul. In 2014, it was rereleased once more as a part of Xbox One's Halo Master Chief Collection; bringing out Halo CE's true potential, which was lost on the Xbox 360 version: The game ran much smoother, looked much more crisp, the cutscenes had no synching issues, and Halo CE's original multiplayer was retained (as opposed to the multiplayer on the Xbox 360 version, which was literally just Halo Reach with slightly modified health parameters and the original maps).

How This LP Will Be Done

This thread will have two playthroughs going on: One will be on Normal difficulty for the sake of showing off the game and its nuances. The other will be played on the game's highest difficulty, Legendary, with my friend, ClumzyNutcase (bottom screen). Unlike our Halo 2 LP, playing this game on Legendary should actually be pretty fun.

Characters

- Master Chief Petty Officer John 117 - Our main protagonist. The last soldier from the Spartan II project.
The Master Chief is a UNSC soldier who was enrolled in the Spartan II program, a program which gave him special augmentation and his signature suit of armor. The Spartans have superhuman capabilities, given to them through rigorous training and augmentations, such as super strength (specifically strong enough to flip a tank), excellent marksmanship, and remarkable reaction time. They were also fitted with armor built to improve their reflexes and protect them with Covenant energy shielding. When enrolled in the project, the director, Doctor Elizabeth Halsey, made special note of his intellect and luck. Despite basically being described as an invincible superman, he and the other Spartans are even more fragile than regular UNSC soldiers.

- Cortana - A UNSC artificial intelligence.
Cortana is an artificial intelligence created by Doctor Halsey, and the current pilot of the Pillar Of Autumn. When inside the suit of a Spartan's armor (notably Master Chief's), she gives battle tactics and calculates that Spartan's reflexes and strength to help them achieve the impossible (specifically, allowing Master Chief to catch and throw back a loving tank round.)

- Captain Jacob Keyes - Captain of the Pillar Of Autumn.
Captain Keyes is a well-known captain, specifically noted for his excellent tactics and his calm collective demeanor in the face of the most perilous of situations. He was by Doctor Halsey's side while she directed the Spartan II project.

- Sergeant Avery Junior Johnson - A badass who doesn't care if Halo is God's own anit-son-of-a-bitch machine or a giant hula hoop. What's important to him is that the Covenant doesn't have it.
Sergeant Johnson is a fan-favorite Marine, who doesn't care if he dies, because he knows he's going to be back.

- 343 Guilty Spark - Forerunner Monitor of Installation 04.
343 Guilty Spark is a monitor built by the same people who built Halo to safeguard it. Despite being a machine hard-wired to protocol, the monitor has an egotistical and eccentric personality. Since the death of the Forerunners, he's been isolated for almost one-hundred thousand years, and thus found fascination in studying the human race as soon as the Pillar Of Autumn came within proximity of Halo.

UNSC Weapons

- M6D Pistol
Rate Of Fire: 3.7 shots per second
Reload Time: 2.1 seconds.
Melee Time: 1.05 seconds.
Range: Short to long
Scope: X2
Head Shot: Yes
Special Notes: Your main go-to weapon in this game.

- MA5B Assault Rifle
Rate Of Fire: 16 rounds per second
Reload Time: 2.9 seconds (2 seconds with fast reload glitch)
Melee Time: 0.9 seconds
Range: Short to medium
Scope: None
Head Shot: No
Special Notes: Typical spray-and-pray machine gun. Not that great on the higher difficulties.

- M90 Close Assault Weapon System Shotgun
Rate Of Fire: 1 shot per second
Reload Time: 3 shells per second
Melee Time: 1.1 seconds
Special Notes: Shockingly long range for a video game shotgun.

- SRS99C-S2 AM Sniper Rifle
Rate Of Fire: 2.8 shots per second
Reload Time: 3 seconds
Melee Time: 1.2 seconds
Range: Medium to long
Scope: X2 and X10
Head Shot: Yes
Special Notes: Has night vision.

- M19 SSM Rocket Launcher
Rate Of Fire: 0.75 shots per seconds (One shot every 1.5 seconds)
Reload Time: 3.2 seconds
Melee Time: 1.1 seconds
Range: Medium to long
Scope: X2
Special Notes: Beware splash damage... Really beware.

Covenant Weapons

- Type-25 Directed Plasma Energy Rifle
Rate Of Fire: 8 shots per second
Cooldown Time: 1.8 seconds
Melee Time: 0.95 seconds
Special Notes: Very effective for taking down shields and health.

- Type-25 Directed Plasma Energy Pistol
Rate Of Fire: 14 shots per second (determined by how fast you can push RT)
Cooldown Time: 0.9 seconds
Melee Time: 0.7 seconds
Special Notes: Quick-shooting is very easy with this gun.

- Type-33 Needler
Rate Of Fire: 12 shots per second
Reload Time: 2 seconds
Melee Time: 1.6 seconds
Special Notes: Never use this weapon.

Grenades

- M9 High-Explosive Dual-Purpose Fragmentation Grenade
Standard issue grenade. Bounces off of surfaces and has a short fuse. Very effective against infantry.

- Type-1 Antipersonnel Plasma Grenade
A grenade with a longer fuse. Sticks to targets. Effective against vehicles and infantry.

UNSC Vehicles

- M12 LRV Warthog
Rate Of Fire: 16 shots per second
Range: Short to long.
Special Notes: Indestructible vehicle. Yeeeeeehaw!

- M808B Main Battle Tank
Rate Of Fire: Machine gun fires 16 shots per second, main cannon fires 0.25 shots per second (1 shot every 4 seconds)
Range: Short to long.
Special Notes: Don't call her Sheila. She will not respond; she's just a tank.

- D77-TC Pelican
Special Notes: A UNSC troop dropship with no guns attached. Not driveable, but you can ride in it.

Covenant Vehicles

- Type-32 Rapid Assault Vehicle Ghost
Rate Of Fire: 6 shots per second
Special Notes: Vulnerable to ice physics despite the fact that it's a hovercraft.

- Type-26 Ground Support Aircraft Banshee
Rate Of Fire: Plasma cannon fires 6 shots per second, fuel rod cannon fires 0.25 shots per second (1 shot every 4 seconds)
Special Notes: How do you stop~?

- Type-26 Assault Gun Carriage Wraith
Special Notes: Fires devastating plasma mortar shots. Not driveable.

- Type-25 Troop Carrier Spirit
Special Notes: A troop dropship with a shade turret attached to it. Not driveable and is invincible.

Power-Ups

- Health Pack
Restores the user's health.

- Active Camouflage
Makes its user invisible for 45 seconds. Its user is revealed when he melees, fires, takes damage, or is holding an Energy Sword.

- Overshield
Triples its user's energy shielding. Doesn't wear off over time in Campaign like it does in Multiplayer.

The Let's Play So Far

- Extras

KKoserYaks fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

Reserved

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

Your basic tutorial and game introduction by Captain Jacob Exposition Keyes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Has this thread really gone four days without a single comment? What the hell? Well, I'm following it, at least. Don't have much to say yet, never having played or even watched Halo before, but it looks like fun, and the first video looked good. (I'm pulling down the second one now.)

E: that little area at the front you didn't know what it was for? It was part of the cockpit window, so they could see downward. You'd only go down there to clean it or recover dropped change or something, I presume. Why a capital ship needs a big visible weak spot connected directly to its bridge is something you'll have to ask the sci-fi genre in general.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 24, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

FredMSloniker posted:

never having played or even watched Halo before

Philistine.

I have not played the Anniversary or much of the Halos past 2 but when this first came out it was a revelation. I played it through single player on all difficulties a couple of times. I also played through it coop on all difficulties a couple of times. I even hooked my xbox up to my laptop with a crossover cable and my roommates and I played against strangers over the internet before Xbox Live was even a thing. It was a blast.

In retrospect I don't know how we were all happy splitting a standard definition TV screen 4 ways, or how we tolerated the lag and non-existent net code of a game never meant to be played over the internet but neither bothered us at the time :shrug:

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I agree I was prolly 8 when this game came out. A friend had the game and went over he was playing the the Silent Cartographer level. It blew my mind, I spent the next month begging my dad to get me an Xbox.

Ya I got it :clint:

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

Master Chief is the only survivor from him life pod. It is up to him to rescue survivors from the other life pods from the Covenant.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

Master Chief must now rescue Captain Keyes from a Covenant prison.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

KKoserYaks posted:

Characters

- Master Chief Petty Officer John 117 - Our main protagonist. The last soldier from the Spartan II project.

He isn't the last. There are still a bunch on Reach, and one's in a cryo-tube critically injured aboard the Pillar of Autumn. Of course, you hear and see neither hide nor hair of the surviving ones until Halo 5 and some of the books. Also the Needler is amazing at killing Elites and Hunters when you unload a full clip into them.

It's sad we haven't gotten a Halo spaceships game yet. It's so characterised by the ships and the books have some really cool ship combat, but Microsoft seem to hate money.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's sad we haven't gotten a Halo spaceships game yet. It's so characterised by the ships and the books have some really cool ship combat, but Microsoft seem to hate money.

Im willing to bet that Halo Wars not being a smash hit made Microsoft think only shooters (and figurines) sell well under the Halo brand.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

- Extras

Master Chief must traverse through a sea of red elites to get to the Silent Cartographer. Worried about Hunters? Of course not.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

Communist Zombie posted:

Im willing to bet that Halo Wars not being a smash hit made Microsoft think only shooters (and figurines) sell well under the Halo brand.

Well, we have Halo Wars 2 now.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

Hooray for long, boring, tedious levels (and LP's). But hey, there's a tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I'd almost forgotten about this LP! Good to see you're carrying on with it in spite of slippy-slidy ice world physics. I don't suppose the tanks get any better traction than the jeep?

Also, I assume that Cortana's inability to be specific about poo poo is going to bite everyone in the rear end later.

• Locked thread