Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bon Yack
Aug 19, 2010
Agreed they serve a purpose. It's just strange that such a significant portion of the endgame can be skipped without consequence from a pure game mechanics perspective. It seems to me that having your characters conquer their flaws should in some way affect the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I like how everyone else's resolutions involved them coming to terms with the negative aspects of themselves or their past in a way that would let them feel like they don't have any regrets as they die.

And then Ted's resolution involved him fulfilling his self-obsessed desire and ignoring all of his flaws.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

frozentreasure posted:

I like how everyone else's resolutions involved them coming to terms with the negative aspects of themselves or their past in a way that would let them feel like they don't have any regrets as they die.

And then Ted's resolution involved him fulfilling his self-obsessed desire and ignoring all of his flaws.

Also almost everyone else is like "wow, thinking has a powerful effect while I'm in this program" and Ted's just "Yeah I'm a wizard, cool spell :downs:"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ted really feels like a character written by the intern.

(People sometimes say Harlan wrote the game, but I think his creative input was pretty much zero once the production actually started?)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

frozentreasure posted:

it's interesting because Ted never really moves past his flaws, he doesn't "learn" like the others. Sure in his chapter you have to "be chivalrous" and not be a louse or sell people out but...that's not really anything special. He's got a crush on Ellen and AM effectively gives him a chance to fulfill his dream of being her hero but that means he doesn't grow as a person, he doesn't really learn anything new.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I guess in order to do that he does have to get over his narcissism a bit, but on the other hand completing it as a chivalrous knight type is obviously a hugely narcissistic thing to do.

steinrokkan posted:

(People sometimes say Harlan wrote the game, but I think his creative input was pretty much zero once the production actually started?)

Speaking of narcissism:

quote:

As the game approached a playable "alpha" state, Ellison and Mullich(producer) spent many hours together fine-tuning the scenarios and polishing the dialogue. Ellison would place his manual typewriter alongside Mullich's computer on the glass-topped table in the sumptuous Art Deco dining pavillion of Ellison Wonderland, and as Mullich play-tested the adventure, Ellison typed story enhancements at a furious 120 words a minute. This final stage of course-correction was essential for elevating the adventure from being a mere game to perhaps the first true example of interactive literature.

Apparently Ellison with Mullich's help started making the game script proper after a 130 page draft was written.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 16, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

All bad endings as Ted

Ted fulfils everyone's expectations by being a gullible tool.

That's all I had planned, but if there is enough interest I'm happy to record the different endings as different characters and post them up too.Thanks heaps for joining in and voting as part of this LP, I had a really good time, and hope you've enjoyed it with me.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
It's been a fascinating experience, thank you.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
wait, the pillars are all completely superfluous? :psyduck:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Illegal Username posted:

wait, the pillars are all completely superfluous? :psyduck:

100% not required for any ending.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Is there an ending for killing all your characters in the Brainscape without triggering one of the other endings?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Is there an ending for killing all your characters in the Brainscape without triggering one of the other endings?

Last character gets turned into the title character.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Threads over, thank for taking part and hope you all enjoyed it!

With impeccable timing steam now has the game on sale for $1.50 for the next week or so if you are interested in playing it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I forgot about this and have just spent all morning catching up on the videos. Thank you for showing off this game, I've enjoyed it immensely.

About Ellens scenario, I felt the hand of Harlan in it, he really had a horrible view of women, her not obviously having done anything or having a specific flaw to overcome fits well in with how she was just an useless cumdumpster and burden in the novel. Feels like her scenario just isn't as thought out storywise compared to the others.

• Locked thread