Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Hello friends, this is the thread to speculate and post about Nintendo's upcoming system, the NX.
Wii U Thread | 3DS Thread | eShop Thread

What has been confirmed about the NX?
  • Nintendo has a new system in the works
  • It has the code name "NX"
  • That's it.
What has been speculated about the NX?
  • About as powerful as an Xbox One
  • Some kind of touch screen controller, probably with some kind of haptic feedback
  • Possibly some kind of hybrid between being both a handheld and a console.
  • A controller that looks like hey arnold

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the NX coming out in 2016?

Will the new Zelda game be on the Wii U or the NX?

Serious Answer: nobody knows, all we can do is speculate at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I heard from my uncle, John Nintendo, that Bayonetta is definitely gonna be in Mario Kart NX.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't somebody else make this thread like yesterday

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Just an update: The leaked NX controller images that were going around earlier this week have been confirmed as fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpkA2MPgmAg

So were the black controller pictures as well:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4avdcg/codename_nx/d1chdzl

quote:

lol sorry ...
no I did not black controller, he resumed my model (Bravú) and made it a better fake ^

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 25, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Captain Toad will be Smash NX

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there is already another thread for this with a way, way better title. sorry op.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Instant Sunrise posted:

Just an update: The leaked NX controller images that were going around earlier this week have been confirmed as fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpkA2MPgmAg

So were the black controller pictures as well:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4avdcg/codename_nx/d1chdzl

Mama mia!!!!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What the NX desperately needs to do is consolidate Nintendo's userbase; that is, it should cut itself apart from the Wii and Wii U entirely, and be self-sufficient on its own. The Wii U failed in no small part because consumers seemed confused over the product's purpose and properties, and many were deterred by the Wii name in it as well. I think a generation of forced gimmicks and fairly shoddy games had not won Nintendo much faith with its old fanbase, and while Mario was still doing strong, Metroid and Zelda were faltering. The Wii U had no killer apps to launch with, and that didn't help either.

The new Zelda has enough buzz to be that killer app, and I guarantee you that Nintendo is banking on that as well. But what people need is one good solid Nintendo console that can still impress people with new things. No hardware gimmicks are needed here, honestly, but I suspect that there are going to be some. I sincerely doubt that awful controller design we've seen is the legit deal either.

Online is going to make or break Nintendo at this stage of the game, so I hope that they announce a new PSN-esque service to accompany the NX. However, I would urge them to find some way to make online multiplayer a free service; that would definitely engender sales, particularly if at least certain Wii U titles (Smash Bros) were backwards compatible with it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope Nintendo just does the most Nintendo thing it can do with something weird that everyone hates initially but then goes "OMG I have to have it" after the press gets it. Basically I hope they make what they were trying to make with the WiiU(by which I mean something people want but don't know they want yet) and had succeeded are with the Wii except actually something people DO want but didn't know yet.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What the NX desperately needs to do is consolidate Nintendo's userbase; that is, it should cut itself apart from the Wii and Wii U entirely, and be self-sufficient on its own. The Wii U failed in no small part because consumers seemed confused over the product's purpose and properties, and many were deterred by the Wii name in it as well. I think a generation of forced gimmicks and fairly shoddy games had not won Nintendo much faith with its old fanbase, and while Mario was still doing strong, Metroid and Zelda were faltering. The Wii U had no killer apps to launch with, and that didn't help either.

The new Zelda has enough buzz to be that killer app, and I guarantee you that Nintendo is banking on that as well. But what people need is one good solid Nintendo console that can still impress people with new things. No hardware gimmicks are needed here, honestly, but I suspect that there are going to be some. I sincerely doubt that awful controller design we've seen is the legit deal either.

Online is going to make or break Nintendo at this stage of the game, so I hope that they announce a new PSN-esque service to accompany the NX. However, I would urge them to find some way to make online multiplayer a free service; that would definitely engender sales, particularly if at least certain Wii U titles (Smash Bros) were backwards compatible with it.

So Nintendo should cut off backwards compatibility for Wii U games while making a new original free online system and making sure you can play Smash Bros for Wii U without a monthly charge on it?
Uh, the NX isn't going to sell better because of some weird arbitrary baggage removal idea you have that will give the previous console 'closure'. The NX is going to sell hardware units to early adopters by letting people immediately slot their Smash Bros or Splatoon or Bayonetta or Devil's 3rd or Zelda WW/TP HD disc/digital license in.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

zolthorg posted:

So Nintendo should cut off backwards compatibility for Wii U games while making a new original free online system and making sure you can play Smash Bros for Wii U without a monthly charge on it?
Uh, the NX isn't going to sell better because of some weird arbitrary baggage removal idea you have that will give the previous console 'closure'. The NX is going to sell hardware units to early adopters by letting people immediately slot their Smash Bros or Splatoon or Bayonetta or Devil's 3rd or Zelda WW/TP HD disc/digital license in.

Maybe so, but the Wii U was backwards compatible too and people were still "confused" by it. I think it'd be smarter in the long run for Nintendo to consolidate its platforms, have one console and ultimately one portable as well (the 3DS has also been a wild ride as far as hardware goes...how many versions of it have there been?). A free online service used to be a norm and it is a pitiful display that we consumers have allowed companies to charge for it, particularly since that paid service is no more secure and more streamlined than it was when it was free SONY

So yes, Smash Bros should be ported over for the launch, since I can't fathom them making a new one this soon, but I don't think backwards compatibility would be as useful for the NX as it would be for other consoles. Considering that both Wii and Wii U games can utilize motion controls and dual screen gimmicks and other hardware specific things, I think those game libraries will be better served not to have to struggle to fit into a new box. Nintendo would ultimately get more profit from releasing NX ports of popular older tiles from the Wii and Wii U and would have a better online infrastructure to support it in the process.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Personally, I don't think that the NX is going to be backwards compatible. Kimishima has made some comments about the NX being a clean sheet design, compared to the Wii being a derivative of the GameCube and the Wii U being based off of the Wii.

Architecturally, the Wii U is a 15 year old system with a G3 under the hood. While one of the niceties about having the GameCube, Wii and Wii U being the same design is easy backwards compatibility, it's likely the Wii U is the most that can be wrung out of a 15 year old hardware design.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
It would be smart to ditch backwards comparability just to get closer to Xbox and PS4.

There's also the issue of the gamepad. GameCube controllers worked on the Wii, Wii controllers work on the Wii U.

They could make the gamepad work on the NX, but why? You can't pick one up cheap from GameStop like you could GameCube and Wii U controllers. You need to already own the actual, full console.

I think they'll create NX ports of some of the Wii U's top sellers (Smash, Splatoon, maybe Mario Kart 8, but I could also see them going right into Mario Kart 9 instead.)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The NX should be backwards compatible with every Nintendo console.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
People should keep their old Nintendo systems, in my opinion. They are still fun and cool.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

When I was a kid, I thought that the Nintendo 128 should have the motherboard and cartridge slots for every Nintendo console so you could play every Nintendo game without having to disconnect and reconnect your console from the TV. :downs:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Mercury Crusader posted:

People should keep their old Nintendo systems, in my opinion. They are still fun and cool.

People who sell their old game systems are insane.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I speculate that I will buy an NX on day one because I'm a cool kid.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

When I was a kid, I thought that the Nintendo 128 should have the motherboard and cartridge slots for every Nintendo console so you could play every Nintendo game without having to disconnect and reconnect your console from the TV. :downs:

Thats a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hell, i'll buy whatever console they put out

• Locked thread