Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Serious Frolicking posted:

Like sure, Haruko has been crashing into a bunch of kids' lives for years leaving behind tears and seaweed eyebrows and is unlikely to ever stop. But why should we want to see her do it again?

Because The Pillows. That's all I need.

Let's see if it's true or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i feel like at best i'll be disappointed by this. maybe there's some brilliant new spin they can put on it to make it worth dragging back up, but i'm not hopeful.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want the new girl to smooch Haruko. Possibly hard enough to make her forget about Atomsk.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chumbler posted:

I want the new girl to smooch Haruko. Possibly hard enough to make her forget about Atomsk.

teacher student relationships... :crossarms:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

haruko makes naota a man at the end of the season 1 manga so i guess wait for that version

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

even if it's bad there's not really a net loss so sure why not

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

at worst it's bad and some people make some long posts about how toonami raped their childhoods and the rest of us can go on with our live maybe having lost a couple hours that we probably would've spent on a bad show anyway
and there's a chance it could be good

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

but but but in the many conversations i have in my adult life where i tell people to watch anime that Made Me Think as a young teen, i will have to add an asterisk.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I wish I had your adult life

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jostiband posted:

I wish I had your adult life

You want to be the weird guy who keeps on recommending anime?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GlitchThief posted:

yea

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so is that plot summary confirmed real

because holy gently caress this is going to be bad if so

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The plot summery is real, and I think there might have been a description of it on Toonami's site. But, what is inherently bad about it? I'm not saying it will be good, but it's got a new protagonist. It could do something interesting with her. It's gonna answer questions that didn't need to be answered, but I don't see what's immediately bad about that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's bad, because it smacks of pandering to nostalgic milennials. It's bad for the same reason why sega still making sonic games is bad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Namtab posted:

It's bad, because it smacks of pandering to nostalgic milennials. It's bad for the same reason why sega still making sonic games is bad

but two of the most recent sonic games were genuinely good

like, the one that was released in 2010

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Star Wars: The Force Awakens was a good movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Butt Ghost posted:

It's not nearly as good as FLCL though.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

When compared to 2D, 3D loses out every time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going to reserve judgement for when it bappens

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

GlitchThief posted:

:yeah:

Because anime is good!

I'm already the weird guy, so I believe I'm well qualified for this position.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm going to reserve judgement for when it bappens

the bappening

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Namtab posted:

the bappening

I kept that typo for u

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Philosopher King posted:

I would not mind another soundtrack by the pillows.

Given that there was only one new pillows track on the original FLCL soundtrack (Ride on Shooting Star), and there have been eleven full albums since, I think you already have it. And then some.

e: a more careful observation of their discography reveals that aside from Ride on Shooting Star, all of the tracks used came from four of the eight albums out at the time (Please Mr. Lostman through Happy Bivouac). Also a twelfth post-FLCL album will be out in seven days, meaning by the time these sequels start there will be literally three times as much new content as was used the first time.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 30, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

yeah but that movie also had some pandering issues behind the good new stuff

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Exactly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Butt Ghost posted:

The plot summery is real, and I think there might have been a description of it on Toonami's site. But, what is inherently bad about it? I'm not saying it will be good, but it's got a new protagonist. It could do something interesting with her. It's gonna answer questions that didn't need to be answered, but I don't see what's immediately bad about that.

well it's almost a complete rehash except for answering those questions and having a girl protagonist. that's a big point against it.

like, if they actually had an interesting new idea, sure, I'd be down, but... this is like the thing about The Force Awakens being A New Hope, if it was literally A New Hope instead of just similar

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I mean, Haruko entering the life of a kid going through puberty is about as much as a rehash as another rag tag group of young adults and Harrison Ford traveling space to meet their destiny. I'm not saying that it won't be a complete rehash. Just that there's potential for new material and a different perspective.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the fact that the main character is a girl kind of changes a ton about the potential dynamic of the story, though

i think the bigger problem is that the writer apparently has no real credits on anything, let alone anything good. they could end up doing something really interesting with it, there's just no reason for anyone to believe that they will yet

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i think we all need to face the reality that this show will be about everything the first show pretended to be about, and about nothing the first show was actually about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linall
Feb 1, 2007
I imagine this show will not be good. Just means FLCL gets the join the ranks great shows with terrible second seasons. It's almost a genre at this point.

• Locked thread