Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Game is so... bad... :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SugarAddict posted:

Also of note, WE NEVER SAW ANY SCRIN AND NEVER WILL.

Because C&C Arena never had Scrin units made.

It's such a huge oversight plotwise for 4 considering how 3 ended.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mokinokaro posted:

Because C&C Arena never had Scrin units made.

It's such a huge oversight plotwise for 4 considering how 3 ended.

Not to mention 2 also existing.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That was a pretty bad game. And it was marvelous the way the factions included in the game already indicated that James was wrong.

I don't think anyone's done a LP of Firestorm here though so there's a chance to end this on a significantly better game.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Why was that shot no confirmed kill? Did she expect him to explode? This does not make any sense!

[Edit]
...what? The C&C series, a famous game series of about 20 years ended with "Kane's gone? Yeah, right :smug:"?

[Edit 2]
Wasn't there a title between Tiberian Sun and this one? Not talking about the Red Alerts.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 28, 2016

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, C&C3 (and the expansion, Kane's wrath) which was perhaps a bit drab and not quite balanced and entirely thought out and had quite a bit of jank around the edges like an EA title should be but certainly wasn't a completely and utterly terrible game like this one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Wipfmetz posted:

Why was that shot no confirmed kill? Did she expect him to explode? This does not make any sense!
In fairness Kane's come back from death repeatedly at this point, so there's reason to believe a bullet will do more than inconvenience him.

So why she bothered shooting him in the first place I cannot say. Calling in an ion cannon strike directly on top of him would actually have made way more sense. (But cost a lot more to animate.)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sindai posted:

So why she bothered shooting him in the first place I cannot say. Calling in an ion cannon strike directly on top of him would actually have made way more sense. (But cost a lot more to animate.)

They already tried that!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Yeah, they had him hit with an ion cannon strike in an FMV in the original C&C. He still didn't die.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

SIGSEGV posted:

Yeah, C&C3 (and the expansion, Kane's wrath) which was perhaps a bit drab and not quite balanced and entirely thought out and had quite a bit of jank around the edges like an EA title should be but certainly wasn't a completely and utterly terrible game like this one.
Up until now I thought Tiberian Sun _was_ C&C 3. Well, you learn something every day.

So how bad is C&C 3, if I ignore multiplayer? Is the single player campagn worth a shot?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's kinda dull for being the pay-off to the tacitus and the alien ship from C&C2 with an alien invasion. It's, in my opinion, less crazy and campy than C&C2 was and losses some points there. SugarAddict's LP'd it just before this right here.

You have to keep in mind it's an EA product, some things get a little janky like campaign balance or weapon ranges not matching unit behavior.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
C&C 3 is pretty good. It's obviously written and designed by fanboys of the original though, and it had a clear mandate to "roll back the sci-fi". So most of the high-tech or post-apocalyptic aspects of Tiberian Sun were dropped. GDI are all-american guns-n-tanks again, Nod are basically the guys from C&C Renegade with ninjas and lasers. Production values are stellar, the FMV is a hoot, and the campaign is high-quality with some good surprises and fun mission concepts.

The expansion pack is not as good and if I remember rightly the patch it applies to the original breaks a particular mission in the original campaign, so better to play SP unpatched and then expand it for multiplayer.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Loxbourne posted:

C&C 3 is pretty good. It's obviously written and designed by fanboys of the original though, and it had a clear mandate to "roll back the sci-fi". So most of the high-tech or post-apocalyptic aspects of Tiberian Sun were dropped. GDI are all-american guns-n-tanks again, Nod are basically the guys from C&C Renegade with ninjas and lasers. Production values are stellar, the FMV is a hoot, and the campaign is high-quality with some good surprises and fun mission concepts.

The expansion pack is not as good and if I remember rightly the patch it applies to the original breaks a particular mission in the original campaign, so better to play SP unpatched and then expand it for multiplayer.

The patch doesn't totally break the mission, it just means you have to build an MCV before you can build base defenses. It's annoying but not a major issue.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

It's kinda dull for being the pay-off to the tacitus and the alien ship from C&C2 with an alien invasion. It's, in my opinion, less crazy and campy than C&C2 was and losses some points there. SugarAddict's LP'd it just before this right here.

You have to keep in mind it's an EA product, some things get a little janky like campaign balance or weapon ranges not matching unit behavior.

According to the Nod campaign in C&C3, there wasn't an alien invasion until GDI ion cannoned the temple of nod and set of the Liquid Tiberium Bomb they had there, and that's what attracted the aliens and got them to invade..

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, that lured them in earlier than they expected, it can be said to have started with the tiberium meteors and then there's the "alien ship" that NOD has in C&C2 and that crashes but that might be a tacitus blueprint product rather than a salvaged scout.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the scrin were waiting until the tiberium had terraformed Earth enough for their purposes. The ion cannon/tiberium bomb sent out a large enough signal that the scrin thought Earth was ready so they sent a recon force.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Command and Conquer 4, Tiberium Twilight. Living up to the rest of the Twilight series in quality of writing!

My god, I loved this series... Now look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

kvx687 posted:

The patch doesn't totally break the mission, it just means you have to build an MCV before you can build base defenses. It's annoying but not a major issue.

I'm specifically thinking of the mission where you have to power and depower defences around your base to respond to incoming attack waves. The patch greatly increased GDI defence power requirements, making the mission a lot harder and possibly unwinnable.

• Locked thread