Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Steam Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/380600

Rock Paper Shotgun review (also talks about Euro Fishing): https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/27/the-flare-path-like-a-fish-out-of-water/

Brief early-game gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAUIpvjVt-Q (3:32)

Fishing Planet is a free-to-play Unity-based first person fishing game being developed by a small team. It's currently in its Early Access stage, but updates come out pretty regularly, and feature a decent amount of content.

The character progression is level / EXP-based. You gain EXP by catching fish and completing quests (which are usually extremely basic, like "catch X number of Y species"). You earn money by keeping fish. Different locations and items are unlocked for purchase based on your level.

Here are the questions I keep getting asked when I talk my friends into giving the game a shot:

Everything about that sounds terrible to me. Why would I play such a game?

This game isn't for everyone, but I feel it has some great potential. I've been searching for a good fishing game for years, and haven't had much luck until now, so if you're like me you'll enjoy it. It's fairly realistic, has a nice array of fish species, the graphics aren't terrible, and it's free... but all those things mean nothing if you think fishing is boring. If, on the other hand, you have been fishing for most of your life, this may be up your alley. Aside from that demographic, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a very casual game.

Why is it called Fishing "Planet" if only North America is available? / What kind of features can I expect to be implemented in the future?

More regions are being worked on according to the developers. They have posted a few times talking about what their plans are for the future, and I think it looks promising. You can read them here:

Road map: https://steamcommunity.com/games/380600/announcements/detail/45395274262880387
Recent progress update: https://steamcommunity.com/games/380600/announcements/detail/705178956916504046

Steam says this is multiplayer. How does that work?

At the moment, it... doesn't. When you pick a spot to fish, you can choose to be thrown into a chatroom with up to 19 other people, and you get to see each others' catch. In the development road map the devs explain that full multiplayer functionality (where you actually exist and can interact with others) is coming at some point. It's kind of a bummer, but again, it's a small team, so I cut them slack on this.

So what is the actual fishing like?

It's... You know, like (freshwater) fishing from shore. You pick out a rod/reel/line setup, affix bait/lure, cast/flip it out, and then use some kind of technique to encourage fish to eat a hook so you can reel it in and sell it for cold hard cash. Things like lure weight, rod action / length, line diameter, and reel type all factor into the distance you can cast, and the types of retrieves that are favorable (assuming you're using artificial lures.) For example, a longer light-action rod is better for jigging than a stout casting rod. Knowing these things isn't a requirement to catch fish, but it does help you do better.

Keep in mind there's still a lot of content coming (boats and *actual* multiplayer being the two big ones)! The developers do seem to like getting sidetracked by making special events, but they're pretty fun.

Getting Started

Once you get into the game, there's an un-skippable tutorial in a pond where you catch some panfish and maybe a tiny bass. After you complete the tutorial, you're on your own, and the only waterway you have access to is a river in Missouri... So fish there! One thing to keep in mind is there are licenses required in order to keep fish, so make sure you buy those in the store (main menu -> storefront-looking button at the top -> licenses -> Missouri). The license page in the store details what species you can keep with any given license. The important thing to look at is which fish are prohibited, meaning you will be fined if you keep these fish. One thing that trips up new players often is that licenses work on real time. If you buy a 24 hr license, it will expire in 24 real hours even if you leave the game! Fines for fishing without a license / keeping prohibited fish are thousands of game dollars, and can result in you having a negative balance, which renders you unable to travel and thus fish. <- this particular bad game mechanic is apparently being fixed soon by a 'home pond' in Texas that's free to fish.

A good way to progress more quickly in the early game (and thus unlock more places to fish) is to go after catfish in Missouri once you unlock the pet food bait. Put that on any hook, set it to maximum depth, and cast it about 45 degrees to the left of you at the "last songs of summer" spot. Keep in mind your basket might not be big enough to keep some of the catfish, but if you release them you still get the experience.

Traveling to a region costs money, and every day you stay costs you some money too. There's the option to set your trip for any number of days from the start, but it doesn't really make sense. You can extend your fishing trip at midnight for the same price, so paying up front for a trip you might not stay for the entirety of is bad.

Sorry if I missed anything with this thread, or if it's poorly-organized. If there's enough interest I can add more stuff. Thanks for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
The only F2P game where catching whales is frowned upon.

• Locked thread