Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I am surprised that no one has posted this yet!

And I am even more surprised that there isn't actually an easy place to find a definitive list of these.

How many US National Parks have you visited? There are dozens of National Parks, ranging from the very obviously parky ones (Yellowstone, which is rightfully considered the flagship of the national park system) to the less traditionally park like (Independence Hall, in Philadelphia). There are also National Recreation Areas and National Historic Sites, which are more or less National Parks under a different name. Some National Parks consist of multiple sites, like the Nez Perce National Historic Park, which has 38 different locations in four states.

This map, while incomplete, is the best single map I could find:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
My list includes:

Yellowstone National Park
Glacier National Park
Redwoods National Park
(the only three "traditional" big national Parks I've been to)

Independence Hall
Mount Vernon
Boston National Historic Park
Statue of Liberty
Colonial Battlefield National Park
(basically the obvious East Coast tourist parks)

Little Big Horn National Battlefield
Nez Perce Historical Park
Fort Vancouver National Historic Park

Golden Gate National Recreation Area

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The Smokies
Shenandoah
Glacier
Yellowstone
Tetons
Grand Canyon
Theodore Roosevelt
Badlands

Walnut Canyon
Sunset Crater
Wupatki
Devil's Tower
Little Bighorn Battlefield
Jean Lefettite

Edit
Castle Clinton
Statue of Liberty
Independence Hall

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 3, 2016

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Parks:
North Cascades (the park, not just the NRA)
Mount Rainier
Olympic
Crater Lake
Redwoods
Lassen
Yosemite
Glacier
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Acadia
Shenandoah
Great Smoky
Mammoth Cave
Congaree (the map is a few years out of date)
Everglades
Denali
Kenai Fjords
Glacier Bay
Haleakala

I have been within a few hundred feet of Wrangell-St Elias and Biscayne

Other NPS sites:
Lava Beds
Muir Woods
Castillo de San Marcos
Big Cypress
Boston
C&O Canal
Cumberland Gap
Fort Sumter
Harpers Ferry
Klondike Gold Rush (this is a good place to poop in downtown Seattle)
San Juan Island
Lewis and Clark
Ebey's Landing
FDR's house, MLK Jr's house and the White House
Chickamauga, Antietam and Shiloh battlefields (these are nicer places to visit than you might expect)
Canaveral and Point Reyes National Seashores
Most of the National Recreation Areas on the West Coast

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

lavaca posted:

Parks:
North Cascades (the park, not just the NRA)
Mount Rainier
Olympic
Crater Lake
Redwoods
Lassen
Yosemite
Glacier
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Acadia
Shenandoah
Great Smoky
Mammoth Cave
Congaree (the map is a few years out of date)
Everglades
Denali
Kenai Fjords
Glacier Bay
Haleakala

I have been within a few hundred feet of Wrangell-St Elias and Biscayne

Other NPS sites:
Lava Beds
Muir Woods
Castillo de San Marcos
Big Cypress
Boston
C&O Canal
Cumberland Gap
Fort Sumter
Harpers Ferry
Klondike Gold Rush (this is a good place to poop in downtown Seattle)
San Juan Island
Lewis and Clark
Ebey's Landing
FDR's house, MLK Jr's house and the White House
Chickamauga, Antietam and Shiloh battlefields (these are nicer places to visit than you might expect)
Canaveral and Point Reyes National Seashores
Most of the National Recreation Areas on the West Coast

That's a lot of places! Was this planned, or did it just kind of happen naturally in a life of travelling?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

As a Canadian, I've only been to

Arches
Canyonlands

And technically Glacier although it was by boat for only an hour.

I've seen Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Capitol Reef 100% for sure, and probably quite a few others from planes in that longitudinal corridor.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yosemite
Joshua Tree
Death Valley
Sequoia
King's Canyon
Zion
Grand Canyon
Carlsbad Caverns
Yellowstone
Grand Teton
Glacier
Denali

West parks best parks.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
There are probably a bunch I went to as a kid that I haven't been to again but as far as I can figure it off that map...

Craters of the Moon
Glacier NP
Little Bighorn Battlefield
Yellowstone
Grand Tetons
Timpanogas Cave
Arches
Carlsbad Caverns
Olympic NP
Coulee Dam
Redwood NP
Point Reyes
Golden Gate Recreation Area
Joshua Tree
Yosemite
Kings/Sequoia
Devil's Postpile
Shenandoah NP
Harper's Ferry
C&O (maybe? I've been on the C&O canal many times in different areas)
Delaware Water Gap
Independence
Statue of Liberty
Cape Cod National Seashore
Assateague Island
The Grand Canyon

All of the National Park areas in DC (like the National Mall, monuments, etc)

Mayyybe some of areas in southern Utah like Canyonlands, Natural Bridges, etc, but I'm not 100% sure.

Might as well consider myself as having gone to Muir Woods even though I haven't gone through the entrance proper, but I've hiked and biked all around that area including right past the entrance.

Not counting the National Forests I've spent time in as well

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

That's a lot of places! Was this planned, or did it just kind of happen naturally in a life of travelling?

The western parks are mostly from living in various places up and down the West Coast. The eastern parks came from various road trips. I like to think that the most obscure park I've visited is North Cascades because you can only get there by driving down a very long dirt road or by hiking several miles from the highway. Most people have only visited Ross Lake National Recreation Area (which is where the visitor center and campgrounds are located)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

In no particular order:

Rocky Mountain
Glacier
Yellowstone
Grand Tetons
Arches
Canyonlands (Island in the Sky and Needles)
Capitol Reef
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Grand Canyon
Crater Lake
Olympic
Badlands

Would like to see more of Olympic, and the other parks in Washington.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

lavaca posted:

The western parks are mostly from living in various places up and down the West Coast. The eastern parks came from various road trips. I like to think that the most obscure park I've visited is North Cascades because you can only get there by driving down a very long dirt road or by hiking several miles from the highway. Most people have only visited Ross Lake National Recreation Area (which is where the visitor center and campgrounds are located)

But you missed Fort Vancouver Historic Park?

Vancouver gets no love. :(

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
I'm Canadian and live in the far north so i've only ever been to Denali and Gates of the Arctic in Alaska

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Actual Parks:

Yosemite
Glacier
Grand Canyon
Mammoth Cave
Shenandoah
Acadia
Mt. Rainier
Olympic
Bryce Canyon
Capitol Reef
Everglades
Haleakala
Hawaii Volcanoes
Zion

National Monuments:
Cedar Breaks
Governors Island

National Historic Parks:
Boston
Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park

Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
*waves isle royale in everyone's faces*

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I know it's just my eyes tricking me cause of the scale, but that map makes our natl parks look pretty rinky dink. Considering how huge they are when you get there. I'm half rear end phone posting, if someone is feeling nice can they get a map of all the np's/wilderness areas/state parks etc all overlayed on a map?

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

life is a joke posted:

I know it's just my eyes tricking me cause of the scale, but that map makes our natl parks look pretty rinky dink. Considering how huge they are when you get there. I'm half rear end phone posting, if someone is feeling nice can they get a map of all the np's/wilderness areas/state parks etc all overlayed on a map?

http://gis1.usgs.gov/csas/gap/viewer/padus/Map.aspx

quote:

The Protected Areas Database of the United States (PAD-US) is a national geodatabase, developed by USGS GAP, that represents public land ownership and conservation lands, including voluntarily provided privately protected areas, for the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico,the Pacific and US Virgin Islands. The lands included in PAD-US are assigned conservation status codes that both denote the level of biodiversity preservation and indicate other natural, recreational and cultural uses.

Many legitimate overlaps exist in the PAD-US geodatabase (e.g. multiple Marine Protected Areas designations, Wilderness Areas over National Forests or National Parks). The viewer cannot identify more than one feature at a time. Refer to the geodatabase to identify all features. GAP has developed files without overlaps for analyses. Ask the PAD-US Coordinator for assistance with your specific project needs.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Cool, thanks :3:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So Illinois and Kansas are the only States to not have a national park, memorial, or lake shore. Pathetic

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

*waves isle royale in everyone's faces*

My neighbor went there a couple of years ago and loved it. I'd like to make it up there some time.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Hmmmmm...

Rocky Mountain
Zion
Capitol Reef
Bryce Canyon
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Joshua Tree
Petrified Forest

So not a ton, but I only started a few years ago.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Arches
Bryce Canyon
Canyonlands
Carlsbad Caverns
Death Valley
Grand Canyon
Grand Teton
Great Smokey Mountains
Guadalupe Mountains
Haleakala
Mammoth Cave
Mesa Verde
Petrified Forest
Rocky Mountain
Yellowstone
Zion

Blue Ridge Parkway
Canyon de Chelly
Cape Hatteras
Dinosaur
Pictured Rocks
Sleeping Bear Dunes

Salty Licorice
Nov 2, 2008
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yosemite and Zion are probably my favorites. Just got back from a trip to Arches/Canyonlands last week.

Pacific West:
Yosemite NP
Pinnacles NP
Devils Postpile NM
Crater Lake NP
Lassen Volcanic NP
Olympic NP
Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP
Death Valley NP
Redwood NP
Muir Woods NM
Point Reyes NS
Golden Gate NRA

Intermountain West:
Grand Canyon NP
Lake Mead NRA
Rocky Mountain NP
Great Sand Dunes NM
Black Canyon of the Gunnsion NM
Mesa Verde NP
Colorado NM
Yellowstone NP
Grand Teton NP
Glacier NP
Zion NP
Bryce Canyon NP
Cedar Breaks NM
Arches NP
Canyonlands NP

Other:
Badlands NP
Pictured Rocks NL
Sleeping Bear Dunes NL
Acadia NP
Hawaii Volcanoes NP

I'm kicking myself for not going to Isle Royale when I lived nearby.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hey Americans, you need to stop your government from being so loving awful.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/green/report/2016/04/11/135044/the-rise-to-power-of-the-congressional-anti-parks-caucus/

quote:

A Center for American Progress analysis found that between January 2013 and March 2016 members of Congress filed at least 44 bills or amendments that attempted to remove or undercut protections for parks and public lands—making the 114th Congress the most anti-conservation Congress in recent history.

You guys have badass parks and it's scary that people want to change that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Picnic Princess posted:

Hey Americans, you need to stop your government from being so loving awful.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/green/report/2016/04/11/135044/the-rise-to-power-of-the-congressional-anti-parks-caucus/

You guys have badass parks and it's scary that people want to change that.

Yeah it's fueled in part by the gigantic shitheads that swept into congress a few years ago and in part by some very very rich people trying very hard to buy up as much public land as they can so they can have their private playgrounds which is supremely hosed up. Beyond that you have the typical "but we need to log and mine and drill for oil everywhere even if there's no reason to do it the environment is dumb" stuff going on.

Unlikely that real national parks and monuments and all that will fall to that kind of stuff but BLM land in particular I think is at risk because it's managed more locally and easier to get parceled off without people flipping out.

there's a somewhat decent chance this year that congress will get balanced back more towards the Dems who are generally better about these issues, as this is a presidential election year which is when the Dems actually get out and vote and do more local and congressional voting. For some stupid rear end reason the off inbetween presidential elections are when Dems decide not to vote at all and republicans make big gains in congress. This is simplifying things but still.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

In no particular order:

Sequoia
Yosemite
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
Glacier
Mt Rainer
Arches
Haleakalā

I live on the east coast but for some reason I never seem to travel around my own backyard.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm Australian and I've done a few road trips across the states so I've been to

Yosemite
Grand Canyon
Zion
Bryce Canyon
Capitol Reef
Arches
Canyonlands
Grand Teton
Yellowstone
Glacier
Mt Rainier
Olympic
Redwoods
Big Bend
Great Smoky Mountains
Congaree

Glacier is #1 followed by Yosemite and Zion.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Agreed with that top three in that order.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
I've only ever been to Yosemite but was disappointed by how crowded it was. I'm looking forward to exploring deeper into the mountainous abyss this summer with some friends though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Im_drunk posted:

I've only ever been to Yosemite but was disappointed by how crowded it was. I'm looking forward to exploring deeper into the mountainous abyss this summer with some friends though.

Yeah if you get away from the valley and popular trails it's nice. Pity the valley is so built up now, it'd be awesome if it was more backcountry but on the other hand providing better access to people is important too and blah blah

• Locked thread