Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome earthlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Current:

Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling

quote:

Plain Tales from the Hills (published 1888) is the first collection of short stories by Rudyard Kipling. Out of its 40 stories, "eight-and-twenty", according to Kipling's Preface, were initially published in the Civil and Military Gazette in Lahore, Punjab, British India, between November 1886 and June 1887. "The remaining tales are, more or less, new." (Kipling had worked as a journalist for the CMG—his first job—since 1882, when he was not quite 17.)

The title refers, by way of a pun on "Plain" as the reverse of "Hills", to the deceptively simple narrative style; and to the fact that many of the stories are set in the Hill Station of Simla—the "summer capital of the British Raj" during the hot weather. Not all of the stories are, in fact, about life in "the Hills": Kipling gives sketches of many aspects of life in British India.

The tales include the first appearances, in book form, of Mrs. Hauksbee, the policeman Strickland, and the Soldiers Three (Privates Mulvaney, Ortheris and Learoyd).

Historical Context:

Kipling wrote these short stories while working as a journalist for the Lahore paper.

About the Author

quote:

Joseph Rudyard Kipling (About this sound listen (help·info)) (/ˈrʌdjərd ˈkɪplɪŋ/ rud-yərd kip-ling; 30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)[1] was an English journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including "The Man Who Would Be King" (1888).[2] His poems include "Mandalay" (1890), "Gunga Din" (1890), "The Gods of the Copybook Headings" (1919), "The White Man's Burden" (1899), and "If—" (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in the art of the short story;[3] his children's books are classics of children's literature; and one critic described his work as exhibiting "a versatile and luminous narrative gift".[4][5]

Kipling was one of the most popular writers in the United Kingdom, in both prose and verse, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.[3] Henry James said: "Kipling strikes me personally as the most complete man of genius (as distinct from fine intelligence) that I have ever known."[3] In 1907, at the age of 41, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature, making him the first English-language writer to receive the prize, and its youngest recipient to date.[6] He was also sounded out for the British Poet Laureateship and on several occasions for a knighthood, both of which he declined.[7]

Kipling's subsequent reputation has changed according to the political and social climate of the age[8][9] and the resulting contrasting views about him continued for much of the 20th century.[10][11] George Orwell called him a "prophet of British imperialism".[12] Literary critic Douglas Kerr wrote: "[Kipling] is still an author who can inspire passionate disagreement and his place in literary and cultural history is far from settled. But as the age of the European empires recedes, he is recognised as an incomparable, if controversial, interpreter of how empire was experienced. That, and an increasing recognition of his extraordinary narrative gifts, make him a force to be reckoned with."[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_Kipling

Discussion, Questions & Themes:

quote:

One reason for Kipling's power as a good bad poet I have already suggested--his sense of responsibility, which made it possible for him to have a world-view, even though it happened to be a false one. Although he had no direct connexion with any political party, Kipling was a Conservative, a thing that does not exist nowadays. Those who now call themselves Conservatives are either Liberals, Fascists or the accomplices of Fascists. He identified himself with the ruling power and not with the opposition. In a gifted writer this seems to us strange and even disgusting, but it did have the advantage of giving Kipling a certain grip on reality. The ruling power is always faced with the question, 'In such and such circumstances, what would you DO?', whereas the opposition is not obliged to take responsibility or make any real decisions. Where it is a permanent and pensioned opposition, as in England, the quality of its thought deteriorates accordingly. Moreover, anyone who starts out with a pessimistic, reactionary view of life tends to be justified by events, for Utopia never arrives and 'the gods of the copybook headings', as Kipling himself put it, always return. Kipling sold out to the British governing class, not financially but emotionally. This warped his political judgement, for the British ruling class were not what he imagined, and it led him into abysses of folly and snobbery, but he
gained a corresponding advantage from having at least tried to imagine what action and responsibility are like. It is a great thing in his favour that he is not witty, not 'daring', has no wish to �PATER LES BOURGEOIS. He dealt largely in platitudes, and since we live in a world of platitudes, much of what he said sticks. Even his worst follies seem less shallow and less irritating than the 'enlightened' utterances of the same period, such as Wilde's epigrams or the collection of cracker-mottoes at the end of MAN AND SUPERMAN.

http://www.george-orwell.org/Rudyard_Kipling/0.html

Pacing

These are short stories, so no pacing rules.

References and Further Reading

I'm actually hoping people can suggest some good historical resources for reading about the British Raj in this period.

Which Edition? Which Translation?

Free Kindle edition here: http://www.amazon.com/Plain-Tales-Hills-Rudyard-Kipling-ebook/dp/B0082UL4L4

Final Note:

If you have any suggestions to change, improve or assess the book club generally, please PM or email me -- i.e., keep it out of this thread -- at least until into the last five days of the month, just so we don't derail discussion of the current book with meta-discussion. I do want to hear new ideas though, seriously, so please do actually PM or email me or whatever, or if you can't do either of those things, just hold that thought till the last five days of the month before posting it in this thread. Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'll be interested to see what people make of these. A lot of these short stories are going to be fairly controversial. What sets them apart from Kipling's other works is that (to me at least) they seem his most honest and unclouded -- he was a young independent journalist, trying to make a reputation instead of trying to protect one. In some ways at least, he's more critical here of the British Empire and the British than he is critical of Indians and India.
He's still wildly racist, of course, but to me at least he seems to be saying what he thinks, with honesty and a relative minimum of romanticization.

The Orwell essay linked above gives an interesting lens to interpret Kipling but I'm not sure it's fully accurate either. In some ways, the Kipling of these stories and the Orwell of Shooting an Elephant seem closer to each other than either author would likely have liked to admit.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 4, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've ran into that Orwell essay like half a dozen times over the past few months, which is odd, because it's such a sprawling, unconvincing mess. Orwell can't leave it at "he's a sentimental poet , and I believe the sentimental perspective to objectively wrong. He advocates for the Empire as a good force, while I believe it to be objectively evil", which would have at least made sense. Instead, he tries to bring some sort of an objective aesthetic judgement into the proceedings, dropping into "doubleplus ungoodbad" or whatever.

We had a fairly interesting discussion about Kipling's poetry in the mil-hist thread just a while ago. Kipling (translated into Russian) is one of few poets I can properly appreciate.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xander77 posted:

We had a fairly interesting discussion about Kipling's poetry in the mil-hist thread just a while ago. Kipling (translated into Russian) is one of few poets I can properly appreciate.

This brings up something I should probably put in my standard post --

If people are regular posters in other parts of SA that might be interested in a particular BOTM, feel free to proselytize and cross-post. TBB is one of the lowest-trafficked forums and one big reason for the BOTM is the hope that it'll draw people in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xander77 posted:

I've ran into that Orwell essay like half a dozen times over the past few months, which is odd, because it's such a sprawling, unconvincing mess. Orwell can't leave it at "he's a sentimental poet , and I believe the sentimental perspective to objectively wrong. He advocates for the Empire as a good force, while I believe it to be objectively evil", which would have at least made sense. Instead, he tries to bring some sort of an objective aesthetic judgement into the proceedings, dropping into "doubleplus ungoodbad" or whatever.

I think most people have a reflexive belief that good, insightful writing correlates with moral writing; that a good writer is on some level a good person or at least a wise person.

Kipling challenges that assumption because of his frank racism and imperialism. But you can't easily dismiss him, either: he'll be racist as hell in one passage and then the next sentence say that the Brits are hopelessly out of touch and don't understand the native perspective at all, etc..

The first story in this collection is a good example - "Lispeth". It seems like a racist romanticization and then, wham, the English are all utter bastards.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Contrasting civilized vice with innate native whatever isn't particularly original. Which is probably why he hates European-educated natives with such a passion. Of course how exactly you're supposed to humor those native hosts towards the light if you hate the very idea is a bit unclear to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xander77 posted:

Contrasting civilized vice with innate native whatever isn't particularly original. Which is probably why he hates European-educated natives with such a passion. Of course how exactly you're supposed to humor those native hosts towards the light if you hate the very idea is a bit unclear to me.

Oh he wrote a poem about that! What was the title? Something something burden . . .

And yeah it's not an original approach but I think it's enough that it's problematic to dismiss Kipling as a *mere* racist. He's no Sax Rohmer.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 7, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And yeah it's not an original approach but I think it's enough that it's problematic to dismiss Kipling as a *mere* racist. He's no Sax Rohmer.
Jack London went to places Rohmer would probably be creeped out by, but I wouldn't dismiss him as a *mere* racist either. So?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Finally got around to starting this and am a few stories in by now; am finding it rather enjoyable.

Come to think of it, although I'm sure I read some version of The Jungle Book and possibly some other kid-friendly stuff when I were a lad, and a great deal of his poetry last year, I don't think I'd actually read any of Kipling's prose as an adult before.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xander77 posted:

Jack London went to places Rohmer would probably be creeped out by, but I wouldn't dismiss him as a *mere* racist either. So?

I think the "so" is "so they're still worth reading".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
For next month, what about Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton, which inspired the eponymous current Broadway smash?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Plain Tales is pretty good so far. I didn't read any of the background stuff yet because I didn't want it to color my first impressions but dang a good number of these stories are more enjoyable than I would think Kipling would ever be.

I'd say I'm six or seven stories in but the first one, Lispeth, is still my most favorite so far.

I guess the biggest theme I can see when reading it in modern times is Kiplings views on race, which aren't that surprising. Why people are so hung up on an 1800's man having strong opinions about race I have no idea. Some of his stories come off as decently progressive while sure, a lot of others have a clear "us vs them" mentality. I don't think that inherently makes it not worth reading, if anything it makes it more interesting to read a skewed perception of the world the author thought was written neutrally.

Cool book so far, good rec, definitely something I would not have picked on my own.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I feel like a Kipling discussion could go to a lot of interesting places, but limiting things to Plain Tales, which is (no pun intended) a fairly plain book, rather limits things.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Need more recommendations for next month's BOTM.

EDIT: if you recommend something please give me a good couple sentences on why you think it would be a good pick

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 23, 2016

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Anyone up for some Mishima? Spring Snow is a bit of a doorstopper, bit maybe we could go with one of his shorter works? I would commit for that BOTM, since I've been planning on reading some Mishima in May.

Temple of the Golden Pavilion looks especially interesting. It's a story of a zen monk that decides to burn down a temple in Kyoto because he feels tormented by it's beauty. It's based on a true story and Mishima extensively interviewed the real life perpetrator.

Edit: HA what happened to your av?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mcustic posted:

Edit: HA what happened to your av?

Somebody paid $10 to change a bunch of mod avatars to this, I'm not "with it" enough to get the joke but it seems rude to change it back to my old one immediately

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Somebody paid $10 to change a bunch of mod avatars to this, I'm not "with it" enough to get the joke but it seems rude to change it back to my old one immediately

Well, now I want to go look it up :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
How about something by Irvine Welsh, such as Trainspotting or Filth? Should be some interesting discussion to be had about working class life, drug addiction and the like.

• Locked thread