Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mikeycp posted:

Anyway, I think the anime is still fine. VN adaptations are never as good as the VN itself, but it comes with the territory.

what about clannad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Colonel posted:

what about clannad

and steins;gate

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

persona 4 :smugmrgw:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Colonel posted:

what about clannad

clannad sucks so in that sense the anime totally does measure up

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rodyle posted:

clannad sucks so in that sense the anime totally does measure up

ok, now can i get an opinion from somebody who turned their monitor on

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

clannad is very handsome

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no wait, i had my monitor off, sorry

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

clannad is very handsome

did you even read my post...

Cake Attack posted:

!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

clannad was okay but after story's op is one of the best ops ever

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

The Colonel posted:

what about clannad

Haven't seen or read that because Key isn't very good.

Stexils posted:

and steins;gate

Also haven't seen this but I find it very hard to believe that the adaptation is better in this case.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mikeycp posted:

Haven't seen or read that because Key isn't very good.

Also haven't seen this but I find it very hard to believe that the adaptation is better in this case.

School Days.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mikeycp posted:

The anime is better because it doesn't dilute the central relationship by having to have routes for every girl

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Cake Attack posted:

Is that why you were typing gibberish?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

The anime is better because it doesn't dilute the central relationship by having to have routes for every girl
It also looks worse and you miss out on a lot of good Kyouma monologuin'. I'd call the anime an adequate substitute if you just don't feel like reading the VN but I definitely didn't enjoy it quite as much. CLANNAD though was definitely better in anime form because god drat was there so much unnecessary extra BS in that VN.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the steins gate vn is better outside of the stupid killer little girl subplot, who cares about diluting the central relationship when the alternate endings like the amane one are better than the real one

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
To be honest, I thought the Steins;Gate anime was better mainly because I felt like the pacing was really improved. Found the first third or so of the VN very very boring. Admittedly, the show could be a bit boring now and then too, but better to have two or three episodes of it than several hours. On top of that, I really enjoyed the dub, which the VN obviously doesn't have. All this is just personal preference though, and I could definitely see how the lack of Okabe's inner monologue would put some off the anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're both good anyway.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Davincie posted:

the steins gate vn is better outside of the stupid killer little girl subplot
lol that poo poo made no sense and just felt like a random plot twist shoved in for no reason

although if we're being real here, every character in the VN somehow being connected also made no sense and was way too convenient, like the TV store guy, that just seemed really stupid

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Coincidences to get the plot rolling are fine

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

littleorv posted:

All of the Gintama OPs own.

Except for one.

Is it the second one? Cuz it's not really convincing me.

I mean, the singer has a p. cool voice, i just wish he was singing a better song. Especially the refrain is kinda lazy.
New ending at ep.25+ is also a step down, but anything would be after Mr. Raindrop.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

HenryEx posted:

Is it the second one? Cuz it's not really convincing me.

I mean, the singer has a p. cool voice, i just wish he was singing a better song. Especially the refrain is kinda lazy.
New ending at ep.25+ is also a step down, but anything would be after Mr. Raindrop.

Nah, orv is just trolling. Me, specifically.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Nah, orv is just trolling. Me, specifically.

I actually have come around on Donten but I could have sworn there was a different one that I didn't really like. I listened to all of the OPs to try and remind myself but I liked all of them so I dunno

2nd OP rulez

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

I actually have come around on Donten but I could have sworn there was a different one that I didn't really like. I listened to all of the OPs to try and remind myself but I liked all of them so I dunno

2nd OP rulez

I don't like Light Infection that much. The melody and beat are really flat and static throughout the whole song, even in the full version.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Just gonna say thanks again to this thread for getting me over the hump in regards to watching Gintama. I was pushed and bothered to watch it for years now, but never got around to it. And don't get me wrong, the first ten or twenty episodes were pretty lame, with nary an acutal laugh around, at best a snicker, and the serious plots just made me yawn.

But now that i'm getting into the late twenties, episodes actually do have me laughing out loud. I dunno what exactly changed, but the lame-o-ness of the first episode that had me actually watching it twice because i fell asleep halfway through the first time is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

HenryEx posted:

Just gonna say thanks again to this thread for getting me over the hump in regards to watching Gintama. I was pushed and bothered to watch it for years now, but never got around to it. And don't get me wrong, the first ten or twenty episodes were pretty lame, with nary an acutal laugh around, at best a snicker, and the serious plots just made me yawn.

But now that i'm getting into the late twenties, episodes actually do have me laughing out loud. I dunno what exactly changed, but the lame-o-ness of the first episode that had me actually watching it twice because i fell asleep halfway through the first time is gone.

The early episodes aren't very good, yeah. The differences is most obvious in one of the early manga chapters (the flower viewing in chapter 17) they adapt, first in the 2005 pre-series OVA and then again in episode 125. The pacing and music cues and characterizations have some pretty obvious differences.

The OVA version has Hijikata calling Gintoki by his name, which he never actually does lol.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 27, 2016

• Locked thread