Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
So you just have 3389 opened up? Nothing is in front of the RDS? And they're using soft phones correct?

I've seen this work just fine anywhere I've ever been, but always with a VPN + softphone. if they are using company issued equipment at home I'd pilot switching over to a VPN and see if it makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Bingo, RD Session Host/Remoteapp/RDS Manager only (I'm pressing to replace it with a new server host and to be setup with RD Gateway and Connection Broker) and the softphone is just a web interface using a USB headset.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Are you hosting VOIP off site or on-prem?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
It's hosted off-prem, we don't own it it's a product we pay for

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gently caress Cisco DX-series personal telepresence endpoints.

That is all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Beefstorm posted:

Has anyone tried the Ubiquiti phones? Thoughts?

CrazyLittle posted:

I have one of each UVP-Pro and UVP-Executive. I am not impressed. Touch screens without any tactile feedback suck rear end for dialing phone numbers. Basic phone features you'd expect on face-buttons (hold, transfer) for an enterprise phone system or PBX are missing from the UVP's dialer app.* Audio volume was abnormally low but they say that's since been fixed through software updates.

But you can play Angry Birds and Youtube.

*- the shortcomings of an android-tablet-as-desk-phone also applies to the Meraki desk phones, which I played around with for a month before shipping back to Meraki.

I have had a base UVP since launch and I agree entirely with this assessment. The software sucked rear end upon release, now it sucks less but still isn't amazing. The config file format is terrible, though at least it exists now (at launch you could only configure it through Ubiquiti's controller software). Touch screens in desktop applications will always be horrible, it needs physical buttons. Of course the Android OS is out of date and it's running on hardware roughly in the same class as a 2010 smartphone.

Unless you have a really good reason to put Android apps on your VoIP phone I'd recommend avoiding anything of the sort. I haven't used the Grandstream or Yealink options yet but on paper they look to be pretty much the same sort of mess.

Super Slash posted:

- Install business grade routers, questionable if ISPs are compatible
This is what we do. Our system is very NAT-friendly and will generally work with whatever they have, but we consider that "Best Effort" level service and warn them that we will neither guarantee quality nor security. Many lovely NAT implementations open UDP pinholes for all sources and will happily allow in all the probes that find their way to port 5060, resulting in a lot of annoying phantom rings for home users with said lovely NATs.

If they want full business grade support, they put in a router we support and give us access to it. At this point we officially support pfSense and Edgewater Networks with unofficial support for OpenWRT. I keep meaning to buy some Ubiquiti routers and test them out. Our critical feature is the ability to stream packet captures live in to Wireshark. I can generally get that working on anything that sits on top of a *nix, which fortunately is most of this segment of the market. If a device offers that and does decent QoS we'll generally try to support it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 25, 2017

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress Cisco DX-series personal telepresence endpoints.

That is all.

Why? I just ordered 4 DX-80s. Don't make me nervous.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

adorai posted:

Why? I just ordered 4 DX-80s. Don't make me nervous.

If you're planning on running them just as video endpoints with a recent CE load you're fine.

If you are planning on putting the Android load on them you should seriously reconsider. I have never seen a device just decide to lose its configuration and then delete all its apps before. And then I met the DX70.

e: Also if you're planning on running them with the CE load make sure you actually download the latest one because I received a brand new in box DX70 this week with firmware from 2015 on it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Super Slash posted:

That sounds like an utterly amazing quality of life thing.

Also I suppose this is a big question but what the gently caress are you supposed to do about extending business VOIP to home users? I've tried everything I could think of but call quality remains lovely despite working correctly, at the moment a home user can only use an RDP session to access company resources and the one last thing I haven't tried is getting the office router QoS set to prioritise RDP traffic. My networking knowledge isn't that fantastic so I don't know if prioritising RDP traffic would negatively affect the office VOIP, which would be a big problem since we're a contact center.

The only options I can think of to get this off the ground are;
- Install business WAN links to every home workers house
- Replace RDP with VPN but doesn't really change things from a QoS point of view
- Install business grade routers, questionable if ISPs are compatible

Assuming you are talking about dumbos with satellite or something, vpn with no qos has always been good enough for us when it comes to remote workers and voip.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

wolrah posted:

I have had a base UVP since launch and I agree entirely with this assessment. The software sucked rear end upon release, now it sucks less but still isn't amazing. The config file format is terrible, though at least it exists now (at launch you could only configure it through Ubiquiti's controller software). Touch screens in desktop applications will always be horrible, it needs physical buttons. Of course the Android OS is out of date and it's running on hardware roughly in the same class as a 2010 smartphone.

Unless you have a really good reason to put Android apps on your VoIP phone I'd recommend avoiding anything of the sort. I haven't used the Grandstream or Yealink options yet but on paper they look to be pretty much the same sort of mess.

Thirded. I've tried them in a couple small deployments and they just cause confusion unless a majority of your user base is under 35.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also Ubiquiti have given up on them. I think you'd have to be slightly crazy to put a bunch of devices on your network running outdated versions of Android.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Also Ubiquiti have given up on them. I think you'd have to be slightly crazy to put a bunch of devices on your network running outdated versions of Android.

Ubiquiti hasn't given up on them, they received a software update as recently as January. They are unfortunately as out of date as most other Android-powered appliances though. I don't believe the Grandstream or Yealink options are much better, I think those are both on Android 5.x.

I agree you'd have to be crazy to put them in to production though for many reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Is there any place to get some training or something like that on Mitel systems? Our guy who usually handles it is gone for another week and change, and people are having weird issues I can't figure out, and my training on it amounted to "This is the system, here's how you add voicemail to an account."

One person asked to get their PKMs reprogrammed, and that seemed straight forward, but now they can't use any of the buttons and one of the ones I didn't touch is blinking. Also now certain lines are just going straight to voicemail for this person. And I can't find the group that has a specific number that's routed to ring in two places because this lady needs one of those two places modified because no one is sitting at that desk!

:emo: :suicide:

• Locked thread