Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
I have been reading reports on BMW forums about fouled intake manifolds and walnut blast treatments to rectify this condition. I am a regular listener/viewer of Goss' Garage for decades. Not necessarily for the automotive knowledge, but to listen to him sperg out on callers who dare say anything that annoys him. Any prevailing opinions on AI on the fouled intake manifolds that have been cropping up in the last 10 years or so? Will Goss' proposed catch can solve the issue without introducing any others?

http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/catch-can-oil-separator

"Wow, there痴 a lot of chatter out there about a new form of deposits that can form in the intake manifolds of cars. It seems that a lot of technicians are calling these GDI deposits. Well, GDI is gasoline direct injection, and they池e blaming it on the direct injection. But, I think it痴 something different. I think that it has to do with low tension, or low friction piston rings that are used on virtually all cars these days. Because the piston rings don稚 expand and push against the cylinder walls as hard as older ones did, they are more susceptible to deposits forming that cause them to stick. And when the piston rings stick, you get more pressure inside the crankcase, and that forces oil deposits back through the crankcase ventilation system into the intake manifold.

Well, no matter what theory you believe, the fact of the matter is, the deposits are caused by oil getting into the intake. And the harder you drive your car, well, the worse those deposits are going to be. Now I did something on this car that should do away with those problems all together. You see, normally the crankcase ventilation system goes from a port back there, here through the intake, right in behind the throttle body, and that痴 where the crankcase fumes go. So what I did, I used what痴 called a catch can; it痴 actually an oil separator. And inserted that into the middle of the crankcase breather system. So this line goes back into the port, from the crankcase, and it comes up here, goes through this oil separator, this catch can, and then out and into the intake manifold. And what this does, this separates any oil out of those fumes, so the oil stays in the catch can instead of going back into the intake manifold. Now if you drive very gently, chances are you壇 never get any benefit out of this. But if you drive your car hard, this could save a ton of money, over the life of the car. Something you might want to consider.

And if you have a question or a comment, drop me a line right here at MotorWeek."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Havent oil separators in pcv systems been a thing for decades?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

grellgraxer posted:

I have been reading reports on BMW forums about fouled intake manifolds and walnut blast treatments to rectify this condition. I am a regular listener/viewer of Goss' Garage for decades. Not necessarily for the automotive knowledge, but to listen to him sperg out on callers who dare say anything that annoys him. Any prevailing opinions on AI on the fouled intake manifolds that have been cropping up in the last 10 years or so? Will Goss' proposed catch can solve the issue without introducing any others?

http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/catch-can-oil-separator

"Wow, there痴 a lot of chatter out there about a new form of deposits that can form in the intake manifolds of cars. It seems that a lot of technicians are calling these GDI deposits. Well, GDI is gasoline direct injection, and they池e blaming it on the direct injection. But, I think it痴 something different. I think that it has to do with low tension, or low friction piston rings that are used on virtually all cars these days. Because the piston rings don稚 expand and push against the cylinder walls as hard as older ones did, they are more susceptible to deposits forming that cause them to stick. And when the piston rings stick, you get more pressure inside the crankcase, and that forces oil deposits back through the crankcase ventilation system into the intake manifold.

Well, no matter what theory you believe, the fact of the matter is, the deposits are caused by oil getting into the intake. And the harder you drive your car, well, the worse those deposits are going to be. Now I did something on this car that should do away with those problems all together. You see, normally the crankcase ventilation system goes from a port back there, here through the intake, right in behind the throttle body, and that痴 where the crankcase fumes go. So what I did, I used what痴 called a catch can; it痴 actually an oil separator. And inserted that into the middle of the crankcase breather system. So this line goes back into the port, from the crankcase, and it comes up here, goes through this oil separator, this catch can, and then out and into the intake manifold. And what this does, this separates any oil out of those fumes, so the oil stays in the catch can instead of going back into the intake manifold. Now if you drive very gently, chances are you壇 never get any benefit out of this. But if you drive your car hard, this could save a ton of money, over the life of the car. Something you might want to consider.

And if you have a question or a comment, drop me a line right here at MotorWeek."

Your over thinking this. GDI get carbon deposits on intake valves because they dont have gasoline being sprayed over them cleaning them up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Preoptopus posted:

Your over thinking this. GDI get carbon deposits on intake valves because they dont have gasoline being sprayed over them cleaning them up.

Yup. No solvent running over it means the carbon doesn't get washed off.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
I own an RS4 which is infamous for the levels and rate at which carbon buildup occurs on the intake valves. I think the problem can at least be helped by running a proper oil separator.

The stock PCV unit on the RS4 actually combines oil separation into the design, but it's inefficient at doing that. I've got a Mann-Hummel Provent 200 waiting to be fitted next time I have the IM off. The Provent oil separators are basically what all aftermarket catch cans aspire to be and achieves high oil vapor filtration efficiency. I'm hoping it will help with the carbon buildup .

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/service/catalogues/pdf/ProVent_en_2013.pdf

I know pretty much all of the first generation german GDI motors have pretty bad carbon buildup issues. How are the 2nd and 3rd generation GDI motors doing?

edit: I forgot to mention people have tried running aftermarket catch cans in line with the stock PCV unit, but it supposedly only helped alleviate the carbon buildup a little. That's why I'm trying out the Provent 200 as it is a much better design than basically every automotive catch can out there.

RapeWhistle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 10, 2016

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Huyandais dont seam to be having too many problems with em in my experience. Tons of people will say that the 2.O VAG turbos were the worst but its kind of hard selling people a service that isnt listed on a manufacturer recommended service table such as blowing sea foam through the intake. Ford is doing some crazy poo poo with the ecoboost that will double fire the plug on the upwards stroke of the cylinder burning off whats left in the cylinder while the intake valve is open hoping to blow past some of those deposits. Someone correct me because i havent really looked into how it actually works.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Your turbo system lets quite a bit of oil through too... and when the turbo seals poo poo the bed holy poo poo do you get carbon build up!

Thats on a 330K km old diesel engine after a turbo seal failure. shits at least 3-4mm thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Preoptopus posted:

This was my understanding as well. My MAF has nothing but the air filter in front of it, but after spending two years hunting down a hesitation from idle, I eventually found my MAF with a wad of goopy black on it.

• Locked thread