Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Problem description: The other night I went to start-up Fallout 4 and my system locked up as the game was loading. My machine is on the low end of the specs for the game, so that wasn't a surprise to me. When I went to restart, however, my system no longer recognized my hard drives and wouldn't boot, giving me an A2 error in the bottom right-hand corner at POST.

Attempted fixes: Here's what I've discovered so far:

• I can get the system to boot if I only have the SSD with the OS plugged in. If I plug in my external USB hard drive or the other non-SSD the system will only recognize the non-SSD hard drive. Furthermore, if I restart the machine once I've booted off of the SSD I have to un-plug and re-plug in the cables to the SSD to get it recognized again.
  • Once booted, my model M keyboard doesn't work (but a regular USB one does) and the mouse will work if I reseat it, but it doesn't work automatically
  • There's nothing notable in the system logs, and hard drive tests don't give me any errors/warnings.
  • Putting the system to sleep or hibernate causes the machine to shutdown and I have to reseat the SSD cables in order to get the SSD recognized again.

My current theory is that I have power issues as a result of the crash or that my MOBO is fried in some way. I know the model M draws more power than regular USB keyboards and I'm thinking that on boot different peripherals aren't getting the power they need. Unfortunately I don't have a spare power supply or MOBO to test this.
--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 Bit

System specs:
Dual core Intel i3-2120 3.3 Ghz
8 GB Ram
Radeon HD 6800
MS-7680 mobo
500 Watt PSU (Earthwatts brand)

Plugged in stuff at boot that draws power: Keyboard, mouse, controller, usb HD, Wireless keyboard/mouse dongle, printer

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, the motherboard and/or PSU might be failing.

How old is the PSU? You could try onboard video temporarily if your motherboard has it.

Other things you could try:

-Clearing CMOS via jumper.
-Different SATA ports/cables for the HDs.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Zogo posted:

Yea, the motherboard and/or PSU might be failing.

How old is the PSU? You could try onboard video temporarily if your motherboard has it.

Other things you could try:

-Clearing CMOS via jumper.
-Different SATA ports/cables for the HDs.

Yeah, I already tried clearing the CMOS and swapping cables around (both SATA cables and power cables.) I forgot to mention that. Dang.

PSU is going on 5 years now. I've never really like it, so I guess this is as good a time as any to upgrade, if that doesn't fix it I'll do the mobo too afterwards.. :/

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 9, 2016

• Locked thread