Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

a black man can finally beat dark souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

tumor looking batty posted:

a black man can finally beat dark souls

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I don't get it

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wtf I was hoping to help someone with the invasion boss fight. Dude summoned three people. We ran all the way from the 2nd bonfire past the dead dragon and I ended up in a passage way I didn't k ow existed and in another completely different boss fight

Owns

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i need to make a new character and beat the whole game, but i've been too busy lately... perhaps june will be the month of souls

bokealoke
Nov 10, 2009
what month isnt the month of souls?

Dec 26, 2012

i restarted this month. trying dex/faith without using orange estus

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I finally messed around with the arena feature and tried out all the dlc maps. It's very convenient to be able to hop into a quick match whenever you're at firelink, but it feels kinda lame compared to the existing covenant multiplayer stuff. competing as equals on equal footing isn't anywhere near as cool as forcing yourself into someone's game, with all of the asymmetries of their placement in the level, how many enemies are still alive, other summons, preparedness, actual willingness to fight, etc and coming up with your own gameplan. but whatever, it's a good thing to have in the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

I finally messed around with the arena feature and tried out all the dlc maps. It's very convenient to be able to hop into a quick match whenever you're at firelink, but it feels kinda lame compared to the existing covenant multiplayer stuff. competing as equals on equal footing isn't anywhere near as cool as forcing yourself into someone's game, with all of the asymmetries of their placement in the level, how many enemies are still alive, other summons, preparedness, actual willingness to fight, etc and coming up with your own gameplan. but whatever, it's a good thing to have in the game

did you try the 6 player ffa deathmatch though lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

extremebuff posted:

did you try the 6 player ffa deathmatch though lol

i dont think there's been 6 people searching for a match in that mode any time I've tried

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Just found out that the awful run I made in The Ringed City from the second bonfire past the curse hollows, the first Ringed Knight, the two-tier circular room with the turtle wizards and the second ringed knight, and the stairs with six giant fuckoff Harald Knights, where i turned left at the bottom of the stairs at the junctiom with the swamp, went up the ladder past the spin wizard and then died a bunch of times to either the giant hammer invader or the pair of ringed knights patrolling together?

Completely unnecessary! There's a bonfire just to the right of those stairs, both fights led to dead ends and the way up to the items and ladders overlooking the staircase is later on in the level. Thanks, Dark Souls!

it is actually me who is the idiot and DS3 is blameless

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 10, 2017

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

The last DLC boss is such a good boss. Really felt good to fight.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Just found out that the awful run I made in The Ringed City from the second bonfire past the curse hollows, the first Ringed Knight, the two-tier circular room with the turtle wizards and the second ringed knight, and the stairs with six giant fuckoff Harald Knights, where i turned left at the bottom of the stairs at the junctiom with the swamp, went up the ladder past the spin wizard and then died a bunch of times to either the giant hammer invader or the pair of ringed knights patrolling together?

Completely unnecessary! There's a bonfire just to the right of those stairs, both fights led to dead ends and the way up to the items and ladders overlooking the staircase is later on in the level. Thanks, Dark Souls!

it is actually me who is the idiot and DS3 is blameless

Illuyankas hosed around with this message at May 10, 2017 around 10:06

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

i dont think there's been 6 people searching for a match in that mode any time I've tried

i had a ton of fun with it, might stream it again soon cause that and the tdm are great

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im.playing SOTFS because I never beat it and I gotta say, DS3 being harder in a lot of ways helped be be better at it. All the stupid poo poo like a lack of bonfires near bosses still sucks though. And how boring most of the bosses are

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I prefer Ashes over Ringed City even though it was all over the place because the trip down the basement and journey back into the chapel was some good horror. Felt a lot like a Bloodborne level.

But the final fight in this game is amazing. It was such a brick wall for me and forced me to hone my timing on dodges until I could consistently get phase 1 down without healing. It really helped me get ready for Bloodborne's pace.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
the latest patch included a buff to the attack speed of whips, so i've kicked off a whipfest run. it does pitiful damage and cant combo, but every win with it is exhilarating. the best part so far is the people who don't know it's unparryable, and stand there spamming L2 while i whip their chest raw

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

the latest patch included a buff to the attack speed of whips, so i've kicked off a whipfest run. it does pitiful damage and cant combo, but every win with it is exhilarating. the best part so far is the people who don't know it's unparryable, and stand there spamming L2 while i whip their chest raw

it also can't backstab or counter i think lol but thats sick that no one can parry it, it's super annoying how easy it is to parry in this game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i watched a lot of gameplay foir The Surge yesterday (second crack at 'soulslike' by the lords of the fallen people) and it actually looks really cool lol

also saw a lot of glowing reviews for it, they really went in and corrected the issues with fallen's gameplay and made the combat feel very weighty and kinetic, and way more consistent. i might pick it up on my next check

Dec 26, 2012

the one review i saw of it said the bosses sucked dick so i'll wait a bit but I want it to be good for sure because it seems cool

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The E3 preview I saw a while back looked sweet. Like maybe not as good as a proper souls game but fun

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in one of the gameplay vids i saw they said that while it's possible to ape the exploration and combat of souls, nailing the art direction and feeling of desperation of the souls games is another story entirely and probably something only the souls series will ever do.

they made another good point: everything in this 'genre' is going to be compared to dark souls obv, and its a bit unfair because DS1, 3 and BB aren't just pretty good games, they're AMAZING. so even if someone makes something pretty great, its like having to compare every drama movie you see to shawshank redemption

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

its like having to compare every drama movie you see to shawshank redemption

👀

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

*falls out of my chair while furiously trying to tab over to the phiz scoff thread*

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

PlebNumeroTres

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

extremebuff posted:

in one of the gameplay vids i saw they said that while it's possible to ape the exploration and combat of souls, nailing the art direction and feeling of desperation of the souls games is another story entirely and probably something only the souls series will ever do.

they made another good point: everything in this 'genre' is going to be compared to dark souls obv, and its a bit unfair because DS1, 3 and BB aren't just pretty good games, they're AMAZING. so even if someone makes something pretty great, its like having to compare every drama movie you see to shawshank redemption

there are about half a dozen qualities to dark souls which would each make a great game on their own

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sex Tragedy posted:

there are about half a dozen qualities to dark souls which would each make a great game on their own
the thing is none of them on their own are especially novel, the Souls games are just really cohesive and bring everything together perfectly, which is a really rare talent in games with their kind of scope and breadth. The combat is great and feels great but it's not super unique, it's just well-done. Nothing would work without the great and deliberate level design but "good level design" isn't exactly a revolutionary idea. The soul retrieving thing has been done in a bunch of MMOs. The invasions and multiplayer stuff was pretty new and cool I guess, that's one thing. Trying to make a game that captures the magic (or audiences) of Dark Souls is dumb because you either make an undoubtedly inferior clone or you just make something else with vague similarities

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mfw i enter a new area and the game starts giving me a lot of antidotes and anti-poison gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremebuff posted:

mfw i enter a new area and the game starts giving me a lot of antidotes and anti-poison gear

• Locked thread