Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

gently caress dude, just gently caress. My wife would be devastated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
i think all involved are devastated. Goondolences man. You did the right thing though.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Sorry to hear it man. Its one of the poo poo parts of having livestock :(

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I'm so sorry man. I'm re-living my youth on my grandparents cattle farm though this thread. This part was always the hardest, and those were cows. I cant imagine how hard it is with a beloved horse.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat dude, that really blows :(

It sounds like overall your problems are related to fencing right now.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
That's horrible, condolences.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

kastein posted:

It sounds like overall your problems are related to fencing right now.

I would highly suggest that he reach out to Connecticut's ag extension, which I think is UConn up there? Here in PA extension, as well as county conservation districts and NRCS have a great amount of technical assistance, and are a potential funding source as well. Fencing and good heavy-use/sacrifice areas are key, and they seem to be two big concerns for the OP.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
The fencing is fine. The issue was a rope gate that has now been replaced.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is a rope gate

Edit: was it electrified

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A Yolo Wizard posted:

What the hell is a rope gate

Edit: was it electrified

Electrified or not doesn't matter, what matters is that it was just a single line across the top of the fence which works in 99% of all cases.

But horses are kinda dopey. If he was dusting (you know, rolling around in the dirt....they loving love to do this right after you wash them) by the gate it's entirely probably that he simply rolld over and stood up on the wrong side of the fence. This used to happen to me with foals all the time. They would roll right under the bottom rail of the split rail and stand up. Fortunately foals and mares won't separate at that age so you just had mom one the inside of the fence and baby standing right outside until someone found them and let the foal back in a gate.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Exactly what Motronic said. Horses for the most part are happy to be enclosed by anything they perceive as a barrier visually. We had solid fencing in the pasture except for one gate which was several ropes stretching across the gate. This had worked for us for 6 months and for many years with the previous owners. This should work 99.9% of the time.

Unfortunately, something happened where she wound up either rolling under the gate, lifting it up and walking underneath (unlikely) or something of that matter. It's been immediately replaced with electrified ribbon fencing.

Trust me, we learned a serious lesson here. I'm still having nightmares and flashbacks for having to put a shotgun to my horses head, a family member, and pulling the trigger.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

Trust me, we learned a serious lesson here. I'm still having nightmares and flashbacks for having to put a shotgun to my horses head, a family member, and pulling the trigger.

It will get easier with time, I promise. It's okay to be upset, that's a very hard spot to be in.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well I certainly hope this thread will continue, in spite of the loss.

Rope gate or 6' 5 board wood fence, livestock are unfortunately unaware of their best interests and can and will get out. I hesitated to say this earlier, but I know from unfortunate firsthand experience (my wife's best friend), that if the driver of the vehicle is relatively unhurt, count your loving blessings.

When we first moved to this property, that...situation was still fresh on my mind and I drat near had a nervous breakdown worrying about the lovely fencing that was here before we replaced it all and expanded (3000' and counting, all done by me and my wife).

And yet we've still had escapes (wife's prized thoroughbred got away while attempting to trailer load, and got all the way to the road but didn't cross) and last weekend while away on vacation our two geldings got fighting across the fence and tore it up pretty good. Some scars for them, too. And unrelated to that, we had our buck goat up and die, still not exactly sure to what, the breeder thinks a snake bite but we remain unconvinced.

There's a reason old horse people are gray or whiteheaded I think. I'm definitely working on mine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
This thread can't die... the farm is too loving awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.
Just read the thread and would love an update :)

• Locked thread