Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodney The Yam II

Back at least ten years ago you couldn't spend 5 minutes in byob without a hurf or a durf gettin dropped. You know someday this forum's gonna be 60yo...and who knows what posting is gonna be like way in the future? My question is mainly for the old timers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse

gramps what was it like back when you first posted? is it true they had keyboards back then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Rodney The Yam II

Sometimes a thread would take days, not minutes like these new threads

alnilam

The good you'll days

Rodney The Yam II

Heck we used to post with a computer but now we can post with a *phone*! Back before things got all crazy a phone was exactly what it said on the package

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
*phone rings, internet disconnects*

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

*internet on, phone gives busy signal*

ty manifisto

Rodney The Yam II

Luvcow posted:

yoober

SniperWoreConverse posted:

gramps what was it like back when you first posted? is it true they had keyboards back then?

king of draggin rear end

Rodney The Yam II

alnilam posted:

The good you'll days

This one snuck by

My Asian Grandma

smoking bowls out of blaster rifle barrels
:shivdurf:

i rememmer

this is a my asian grandma post © 2019 sig credit PSP

Rodney The Yam II

Aw man Shivadas what a chill dawg. Now I'm reminiscing 4real

SniperWoreConverse

yoober posted:

king of draggin rear end

Still got the saves, one day, if I don't die right now, I'll try to reboot

MrWillsauce

was there a time when byob didn't have the hammock kitty

Rodney The Yam II

That's like asking if there was ever a concept of time when causality had not been established

MrWillsauce

lol what does that even mean

SniperWoreConverse

In the time before time byob was a primordial forum when quotes and posts had no relationship to each other

My Asian Grandma

smoking bowls out of blaster rifle barrels

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Aw man Shivadas what a chill dawg. Now I'm reminiscing 4real

i once had tentative plans to hang out w shivadas and eat calzones but we never got around to it

true story

Coolness Averted

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
no

joke_explainer

I feel like nostalgia is really deceptive.

There's this biological imperative that describes brains in an almost uselessly generalized way, but the basic gist is that there's a central mechanism that seeks novelty and another mechanism that seeks repetition.

The novelty drive makes you find new things to discover tricks to give you an advantage. The repetition drive hones the tricks, giving you a dose of reward when you manage to duplicate the results of your experiments. I feel like the intense drive of novelty is the source of the rose-tinted goggles effect. Novelty can't be tricked, so you can't go back and enjoy the same book in the same way or same experiences like the first time you did it. Repetition can be rewarded and deliver steady returns, but it's not that intense rush of novelty that you almost lose yourself in yet never feel threatened.

I think that's where nostalgia comes in. Nostalgia promises to hearken back to that day when you found something amazing and new, and those wonderful feelings. They don't really return in the same way though, and too much examination makes you wonder how you ever got so into it.

Urodov

SniperWoreConverse posted:

In the time before time byob was a primordial forum when quotes and posts had no relationship to each other

In the beginning was the Emptyquote, and it contained itself.

Ãèáåëü â ìîðñêîé âîëíå,                                                                                                спасибо, Слагнойд-кун!
èëè ñâîáîäó

9hotonic

(after hearing the library has games , i arrive at the front desk, disguised as a non-gamer)

"er.. im here for some.. book's"
whats your geocities page i'll bring you traffic
i get over 700 hits a day im pretty big on-line

Urodov

Said the first, "A kingdom is born, and it spills over with light."
Said the second, "A cradle is built, and it comforts the weary."
"A flower has bloomed, and it is suffused with fragrance."
"A joint is lit, and it is mellowing in effect."
"This forum is chill, and humorous."
"There are pictures of cats."
"The name of it is B-Y-O-B."
"And it calls itself the Yob."
"A mystery is this forum."
"A mystery is this hugbox."

Thus spoke two goons at the dankest depths of the internet at the timeless birth of BYOB.

Ãèáåëü â ìîðñêîé âîëíå,                                                                                                спасибо, Слагнойд-кун!
èëè ñâîáîäó

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
there is no hugging or touching allowed in byob unless the dancer chooses to touch you

Rodney The Yam II

Holly catsup, in the reply window the posts appear in reverse chronological order...is this finally proof that times arrow goes both ways? ? ?

bacalou

Luvcow posted:

there is no hugging or touching allowed in byob unless the dancer chooses to touch you

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

No longer touching

iustorum_anime

[56k no]

google THIS

it's kind of weird that back in those days browsers apparently didn't have back buttons and people froze deer-like whenever a page took a long time to load

smoobles

some of them even post your threads

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ScrubLeague

po
to
to
chipes

----------------

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

maybe i'll be an actual doctor then

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Jellidelic

*posts the demotivational pic w/ the old people on q3 and it says RETIREMENT CENTER LAN PARTY or smthng*

the unabonger

My Asian Grandma posted:

i once had tentative plans to hang out w shivadas and eat calzones but we never got around to it

true story

too bad, you can never have calzones with shivadas again...

smoobles

pro target sure posts a lot ha ha

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrWillsauce

Luvcow posted:

• Locked thread