Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
You can actually see Change's little surprise if you look for it after the cutscene. It's visible in the video, but only for a split second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marshal Radisic posted:

Come to think of it, even Borg starships ended up getting nerfed in the Armada games just to maintain a bare fiction of game balance. The Armada III mod for Sins of a Solar Empire does handle it a bit better; the ships and installations are very powerful but are intense resource hogs. If someone doesn't roll the Borg players in the early game, they're unstoppable.

I found that out the hard way by throwing an entire Federation fleet at a single Borg hero cube got handed my own little Wolf 359. Seriously, Armada III is great, and Sins of a Solar Empire is on sale for just $10 right now, so I wholeheartedly recommend picking it up and throwing Armada III on top of it. It's probably the most played game in my Steam library and I've never once touched the vanilla Sins so far.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

nine-gear crow posted:

I found that out the hard way by throwing an entire Federation fleet at a single Borg hero cube got handed my own little Wolf 359. Seriously, Armada III is great, and Sins of a Solar Empire is on sale for just $10 right now, so I wholeheartedly recommend picking it up and throwing Armada III on top of it. It's probably the most played game in my Steam library and I've never once touched the vanilla Sins so far.

I should go play this... and finish the first two... and The Fallen... and Harbinger... and Away Team...

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Trying to get Elite Force 2 to work and it's just not happening. Got it to install, and when I start the game it pulls up the console, which loads as I would expect it to, then it pull up a black screen that has what I assume is my mouse cursor (the federation logo/arrowhead thing) in the upper left hand corner, which I cannot move. I can hear my CPU chugging along, getting louder and louder, but it doesn't seem to do anything beyond that point. I've tried XP compatibility mode, running as an admin, etc. I'm on Win 7 64 bit. Google tells me I'm the only one having this problem in TYOOL 20016. Any ideas?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Have you tried imagecfg?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Have you tried imagecfg?

I assume that's one of the (many) cfg files in the directory for the game, right? I'll play around with it this afternoon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

RickVoid posted:

I assume that's one of the (many) cfg files in the directory for the game, right? I'll play around with it this afternoon.
No, imagecfg is a tool that forces an exe file to run on a single core regardless of your system hardware.
https://robpol86.com/imagecfg.html
It's just something to try when dealing with most turn of the century games.

Might be something else - look up general Quake 3 engine issues.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

You can actually see Change's little surprise if you look for it after the cutscene. It's visible in the video, but only for a split second.

And this is another reason why Chang is awesome :allears:

BTW, Seven's Hazard uniform is actually a reskin of her stock model, which (among other things) means that it has high heels :)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
A Neelix will do as a Neelix will do. Actually, one thing that strikes me just now is how quickly he went from grossing out Tom to cockblocking Munro.

The photon burst is a delight. I seem to recall that its splash damage was a little weird, though. Like, it was better to shoot at the feet of a crowd rather than directly at anything. But in direct fire, it's about as powerful as the compression rifle's sniper shot, but only takes half the energy per shot. Of course, it's not a hitscan weapon, and not silent either. Secondary fire is a homing missile with automatic lockon, but it isn't very good. It flies and turns too slowly. It might be more powerful, but I never used it enough to be sure. This is one thing the sequel did better. The quantum burst in that game had a laser for secondary fire to guide the torpedoes.

Also, that holodeck map was indeed a multiplayer CTF map. And of course it had a photon burst, right on that platform you can see above the lava pool at the corner of the L-bend. Right where absolutely everyone can see you going for it.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 13, 2016

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
To answer the most important question raised during this segment, the entire script is gender neutral, so the mess scene will play exactly the same and Telsia will use the exact same lines :)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The vent closes after you go through it. And... I guess it's too heavy to move. The laser puzzle has a little trick. You can hit two of the control panels at once to make it go slightly faster.

And I really despise up-elevators in this game. If they're going down, they'll just go after a short time. But even having people move one at a time wasn't safe enough to avoid bugs in this game. Somehow they'd still end up getting stuck on something or other, and there would be no way to advance except to reload the level.

It isn't as much as the scavenger rifle, but the tetryon pulse disruptor does have a significant amount of spread in its fire. Just enough to be less effective at a range like in that fight before the bridge. Its secondary fire goes straight, though. The photon burst is the ideal weapon for this level. Its DPS lets you take out those big bots before they can get close, and the turrets before they can get a shot off. But not so good against the fliers.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
This was always my favourite level. I never had any team pathfinding errors, and it's well-written for a standard FPS Mandatory Survival Horror Level.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
And you never even used the photon cannon :(

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Yeah! What's up with that? Stifling us like that?! :catstare: We demand a quality entertainment! Stuff blowing up! Huge robots! People taking their sweet, sweet time getting on the elevators!

(I honestly have no idea how did I manage to repress this particular memory - I remember the floating eye robot, the big robot too, but this elevator thing? I don't remember it at all. Well gee, thanks, Mateo! ;) )

Y'know, I didn't expect Scavengers to be still working together - I mean, you pretty much rolled over the human faction and eliminated Malon and Hirogen leaders, while leaving Klingons relatively intact. I'd expect Klingons to take an advantage of the situation and expand their control zone. Perhaps they did, and now Imperials are working with Klingons?..

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

also, check out my new LP of Castle Crashers with dscruffy1, shibbotech, and Miz Kriss

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I find your lack of photon burst disturbing. Especially because it's a much better weapon against turrets. Their hitboxes are smaller than the tetryon rifle's spread. And the strong single attack of the photon burst knocks them out before they can fire. Using the strafe keys is also effective to avoid their fire. Also, the arc welder doesn't use blue weapon energy like you said.

Also, the flying drones 'die' about a second and a half before they explode. You can end up wasting quite a bit of ammo on them because of that.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm picturing Munro bleeding out on the floor while Tuvok yells through the comlink, "Why haven't you loaded the charge yet? Hurry up!".

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Montegoraon posted:

I find your lack of photon burst disturbing.

I keep telling him to use them, but that's off camera. And he's very enamoured with his Tachyon SMG.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder what the difference between Biessman's firing wildly into enemies and your's was :v: I guess it's just inspiring when he does it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I wonder what the difference between Biessman's firing wildly into enemies and your's was :v: I guess it's just inspiring when he does it.

Munroe's weapons do actual damage, and tend to hit the targets.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

berryjon posted:

Munroe's weapons do actual damage, and tend to hit the targets.

Your teammates do damage as well, but it's like an eighth of what Munro can do. Except for in that cargo bay fight. Biessman is clearly doing full damage there.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Good job, looking away from the explosion like a badass. Your slow walk technique needs work, though.

It didn't occur to me as a kid, but it's kinda weird how the game rounds itself off with a villain like something straight out of an old Bond film. Cackling, hammy, pointlessly giving away its plan, etc. You might not have ever found out about it trying to make a new forge if it didn't tell you.

Incidentally, the elevators don't disguise load times. This game was made long before that was a thing.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 11, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Another perfect warrior species, defeated by automatic weaponry.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I've been slowly catching up since this is one of the few good Star Trek games worth playing (and speaking of "Away Team" is another good one :colbert: ), but the music is just so dull: I I think it outright detracts from the rest of the game.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Well, that was certainly ... something. Can't say what it was though, but it was something alright.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Ah, the final boss. He actually is pretty powerful. A full on hit from any of his attacks will knock off a good chunk of your health. And that one time the floor attack connected wasn't a fluke. It will launch you straight into the ceiling.

Only his head is vulnerable. The game has a stats screen that tells you how many times you've hit, out of how many times you've fired. The number only ticks up when you shoot him right in the eyes. His body takes no damage, and his tentacles can block your shots, though they won't actively try to intercept you.

You can cheese the fight by hiding behind the pillar on the right, and shooting him from around the side of it. His shots and missiles won't be able to hit you at all. If he does the floor attack, just run a lap around the other pillar and back. That's about how long it takes that attack to play out, and he never combines attacks.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

here are all the logs from Virtual Voyager (Rightload is my friend)

Alex's Personal Log
Voyager Social Events
Neelix's "Recipes"
The Doctor's Personal Log
Cargo Manifest
Seven of Nine's Personal Log
Astrometrics Civilizations
Astrometrics Planets
Harry Kim's Persona Log
Neelix's Personal Log
Tom Paris' Personal Log
Tovok's Personal Log
Captain Janeway's Personal Log
Chakotay's Personal Log
B'Elanna Torres' Personal Log
Jurot's Personal Log
Austin Chang's Personal Log
Chell's Personal Log
Hendrick Biessman's Personal Log
Telsia Murphy's Personal Log
Ship Repair Status
Captain Proton Episode List
Hazard Team Readiness
Andrew Dischler's (Deck 15 guy) Personal Log
Library Computer

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 26, 2016

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
All your commentary's a bit early in comparison to the events on screen, Mateo. Try re-syncing your audio tracks using your "die die die" segments?

Congrats on finishing this LP, by the by.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
that was as close as I could get it.and I actually was using that as my marker. Before the "die die die" was happening when I was shooting Tovok. the extra couple of seconds of black at the beginning was to try and line it up.

fake edit: OH GOD drat IT why did it export some earlier version? I swear I had it lined up a lot closer then that.

Real EDIT: I think I'm having a weird issue with WMM where for whatever reason the the preview audio is getting desyncd. I going to try re rendering it with my original sync points and see what happens after I render it and if it lines back up again.

EDIT2: Yep that did it :v:

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 26, 2016

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
New version up

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Tuvok will be very disappointed indeed. :v:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

All done.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

So long Voyager. There were far better games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shame they weren't able/didn't think to get Mulgrew to do her Spider Queen for that section, could have turned it into something more than just a novelty.

• Locked thread