Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
So, I think I've hosed myself pretty good here. I get it in my mind to flash my bios. So I make my way over to gigabytes site and dl the appropriate newest bios for my motherboard. I dutifully put it on a usb thumb drive which I leave it in after a restart and hold delete as usual to get into the bios menu. I select to qflash, select the usb drive with the new bios, select the new bios, then it goes through its normal minute of updating via progress bar. It says the system will now restart up complete it. So it does and the it boots. But it hasn't updated. Still the old version. So I try again after double checking everything again. Now it won't show anything on the screen at all and won't power the usb keyboard or mouse.

The mother board is a gigabyte ga-z170-hd3 with a Skylake i5 6500.

I've tried the cmos jumper, no joy. I thought these where supposed to have a backup bios. Anyone? I'm not very pleased by these turns of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Shut the system down, unplug power from the back, press the power button. Move the Clear CMOS jumper to the Clear position, let the system sit for an hour or so. Move the jumper back, plug power back in, hail Satan, press power button. Hopefully that will help. It may be that the system rebooted on the second BIOS after the first flash failed, then that got flashed too.

More generally, Gigabyte motherboards are hot garbage so its not surprising you're having issues, especially with a low-end board. I know telling you that now doesn't really help much, but if you have an opportunity to return this board and get an Asus (or at least MSI) that would be a much better choice.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Jack Forge posted:

. I select to qflash, select the usb drive with the new bios, select the new bios, then it goes through its normal minute of updating via progress bar. It says the system will now restart up complete it. So it does and the it boots. But it hasn't updated. Still the old version.

Your motherboard does have a "Dual BIOS". This means the flash procedure updated one half of the dual BIOS, rebooted, detected that the new updated half was not viable, and switched over to the second half. This was your clue that something was not right with the update.

Jack Forge posted:

So I try again after double checking everything again. Now it won't show anything on the screen at all and won't power the usb keyboard or mouse.

Worst case: the second attempt overwrote the "good" second half of the BIOS, and now you have a dual-BIOS with both halves non-viable.
Best case: the first BIOS now has a fault at such an early point that it fails to switch over automatically to the second BIOS, but the second BIOS is still OK.

Unfortunately it looks like Gigabyte has two very similar model numbers with different BIOSes: GA-Z170-HD3 and GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3. Perhaps this is where you picked the wrong one?

Here is a Youtube video describing the procedure for forcing the failover to the second BIOS. It's worth a try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhI-t5lh_38

From the video description:

Leandro Lopes's youtube video description posted:

Step-by-step

1º Press and hold power button.

2º system power on (no image on the screen) count five seconds.

3º hold down pressed power button and count more five seconds.

4º Release button and press again (like it power on your computer)

5º If procedures has been successful, motherboard is power on/off and on again with recover system on the screen.

this procedure can be used in all GIGABYTE models with Dual-Bios system.

• Locked thread