Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
most applications are only nominally multi-threaded

they have a primary thread and the ability to shift work off it for better responsiveness and the ability to repaint while waiting for the network but basically everything is happening sequentially

and often they do not have those two things in practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the other cores are for the hundred daemons running in the background

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
mspaint gets realtime priority, everything else can go right to hell

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

shame on an IGA posted:

I chose my last PC based on single-thread performance because literally the only CPU-bound software I run is Dwarf Fortress

:stare: same

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the stuff that could be done in parallel could already be done in parallel even without bringing a billion cores onto the same die, a lot of stuff cannot be done in parallel (most stuff in fact, in a theoretically sound but practically useless statement), and then only peak single-thread performance matters, and intel remains the only game in town there

it is somewhat interesting to ponder the end-game for single-thread peak performance, since it will never stop mattering, but improving it further appears difficult in all directions

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Just put all 28 500MHz cores on your die in series and treat them as a single 14 GHz core. There I just saved AMD :smuggo:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rjmccall posted:

most applications are only nominally multi-threaded

don't forget that when an application does make extensive use of threads, work queues, whatever, people freak out that their CPUs are pegged

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

Just put all 28 500MHz cores on your die in series and treat them as a single 14 GHz core. There I just saved AMD :smuggo:

gently caress yeah the return of netburst

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ah yes, the UPGPG approach

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
megacorp's $300m diversity program turns put to be a scheme to replace highly paid American whites for cheap offshore browns

industry observers reportedly "super surprised"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

eschaton posted:

don't forget that when an application does make extensive use of threads, work queues, whatever, people freak out that their CPUs are pegged

When task manager shows 50+ % CPU load you start thinking about a replacement, since over half its useful lifetime has already elapsed. Duh.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ahmeni posted:

gently caress yeah the return of netburst

a very prophetic name

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

someone's job was eliminated to free up budget for this ad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
in the embedded world Intel has always been a joke. they don't understand their customers and they don't know how to provide service as a vendor. it's about time they shut down that stupid effort because their management was clearly not committed to it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Management posted:

in the embedded world Intel has always been a joke. they don't understand their customers and they don't know how to provide service as a vendor. it's about time they shut down that stupid effort because their management was clearly not committed to it.

My dad was on one of like only 10 validation teams for the embedded department back in 2004. Even back then they were making huge cuts to the department because they had very few clients.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

what's the word on intel selling their strongarm stuff to marvell a few years ago? seems like that was a shortsighted fuckup but then again what the hell do i know, the only involvement i have in the cpu business is that every few years i might buy a new one for my computer (maybe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

embedded is the pinnacle of race to the bottom cost cutting reigns supreme bullshit

• Locked thread