Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I got myself a pretty ridiculous trip coming up!

Why? South Africa and SE Asia has been on my to-do list for a few years now. And this itinerary was cheap. Like, very cheap:

While it's a bit more flying in one trip than I would've preferred, it's unlikely that a deal this good would pop up soon, and I had enough vacation days to make this tolerable over the course of almost a month.

Destinations
I'll have 10 days in South Africa and 14 in Thailand. Dubai and Addis Ababa are 14-17 hours. It really works out quite well as most flights are overnight and except for the flights to/from Thailand, should be jetlag-free as well. The local transportation is separate and I'll try to pick whatever has the best combination of cheaper/faster/convenient/interesting.

South Africa is pretty clear - I'll probably stay for a day around Jburg to avoid any more flying and also see something around. Then sightseeing/drinking in Cape Town, and all the animals and other stuff on the way to Durban.

Thailand is a bit less clear as I'm not intending to just sit on the beach for two weeks. I'll probably do that for a couple of days and then will try to travel down to Singapore, maybe getting a flight to Hong Kong for a couple of days, and then back to BKK. This would sort out my Singapore visa and also make for a clean itinerary, although the cheapest flights I saw so far were from Kuala Lumpur.

Any suggestions for these countries/cities are welcome, of course. I'm mostly trying to keep this as cheap as reasonably possible and would be staying in hostels, but am not against renting a car for a couple of days or spending a bit more on an interesting experience.

Visa hell
I'm unlucky enough to have a non-US/EU passport and so require visas for most of these places.
  • South Africa: Go to the embassy, fill out a form, pay fifty bucks, get a visa next week
  • Thailand: On arrival
  • UAE: On arrival. But I'll probably have get a hotel that I don't actually need as it's not an overnight stay. What's the cheapest one that would get me a visa? Any way around this bullshit? [see update 1]
  • Ethiopia: Holy poo poo! A transit or tourist visa can be obtained on arrival... for US/EU citizens (and a few others). Everyone else needs to apply in advance, but there's no embassy in my country. Can't apply in London or Berlin/Frankfurt where I'm often for business, has to be closest to my place of residence instead. Those guys are open 8-12 only and it would take 4 hours to drive there. They're also pretty bad at answering the phone or emails, of course.
    Optional:
  • Cambodia: Online
  • Malaysia: On arrival
  • Singapore: Transit free/online
  • Hong Kong: Visa-free
So yeah the visa situation for my two transit stopovers is pretty lovely and is threatening me spending the time at the terminal. Which sucks, because I had an option for shorter stopovers but decided against that as it was like 6-8 hours so neither here nor there, because how bad could it be?

Aanyway, while I'm sorting out my visa nightmare, as I mentioned I'll appreciate any tips or suggestions. I'll then do my best to post some updates here, but no promises due to laziness/poo poo internet availability.

Update 1
Almost poo poo myself when I went to check my itinerary and the flight out of Dubai was missing. Turns out it was updated so I'll only have 5 hours there anyway, so that takes care of the visa question.

The Ethiopian embassy (in Vienna) that I was referred to? It's been closed for a few years now, it's now in Switzerland! Luckily I have a work thing in Frankfurt next week so I'll just show up there in person, instead.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

If you plan to go to Singapore via Kuala Lumpur, plan to spend at least a day in KL to see the Batu Caves they are pretty cool and conveniently located right inside the city! In fact I would stay several days in KL it's a really fun place in terms of various bars and such. You will probably want to keep Singapore stay to minimum, its very expensive.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, I think that's gonna be the plan for now - stay in KL for a couple of days, then take a night train to Sing and fly out the same or maybe next day. It has a reputation of being kind of boring so I don't expect to be there too long anyway, but I have a couple of colleagues I could meet up with and maybe check out the zoo and what not.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
KL sucks, made a point to avoid it this past trip I took thru SE Asia. Went to Georgetown and had a great time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Casual Yogurt posted:

KL sucks, made a point to avoid it this past trip I took thru SE Asia. Went to Georgetown and had a great time.

Haven't heard that opinion before but I'll consider it!

A quick update, as I'm in SA already and most of that conversation is in the other thread. I got the Ethiopian visa within 30 minutes at the Frankfurt consulate, as promised. But they did almost screw me out of 10 EUR by claiming 06:00->00:05 was more than 24 hours so I had to argue with them for a refund, of course.

The apparently fuel-dunpes tickets worked fine, though the crew thinks I ordered the special meal which mostly sucks.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

The apparently fuel-dunpes tickets worked fine, though the crew thinks I ordered the special meal which mostly sucks.

Are you sure it was a fuel dump ticket? Maybe if you order the vegan no-gluten no-nuts no-allergens meals on your flights they give you 80% off because they feel sorry for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'll try that next time, though I'm not sure such a sacrifice would be worth it.

I'm done with South Africa and am now in Phuket.

SA was great but as I went through it I realized that I should've scheduled enough time to go to Kruger and do the Garden route, but hey that's something for the next time.

Cape Town was very cool and some areas might as well be in San Francisco or something, Kloof street and V&A in particular. I found it disappointingly hard to find good African restaurants, so despite my best efforts I did end up eating burgers and steak a couple of times.

Durban was almost pleasantly cool in retrospect, I'm really loving dying here now. And unfortunately probably going to abandon the plal to go SIN->HKG->BKK as the land transport is a bit of a pain in the rear end to arrange and the plane tickets aren't *that* cheap, South Africa was way better thanks to Mango and Kulala.

So new plan is go from Phuket to Phi Phi, then Krabi and then north to Chiang Rai or something. But I'll see the transport situation in Krabi. The only problem is that I'd have to get a re-entry permit to get back in (1k bhat and a couple of hours).

• Locked thread