Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

i like the large puffy duster and the small cotton fluffs too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Big ol' nasty, grassy dirt clod delivered, Yoya is thrilled with it and trying to teach the babies it's ok.

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

Chicken Doodle posted:

Pie might be a mom! IM A CHICKEN GRANNY! :swoon:

Me too, me too! Yay for Snakefast! :swoon:

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
I am so going to meditate to this stream, there are windchimes, bird noises and a peaceful looking mama in front of some nice grass.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Big ol' nasty, grassy dirt clod delivered, Yoya is thrilled with it and trying to teach the babies it's ok.

The clod! :sotw:

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
Hurray, another candy-named chicken! Experience tells me that a tall blondie is probably gonna be a rooboy, but I'll keep my fingers crossed!
So sad I missed the actual hatch!
What a good fluffy pancake Yoya's being!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Guess what?

Chicken butt.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
:golfclap:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

What are the brown food things put in with the chicks yesterday? I saw one last night and was worried it was a brown chick that had died :smith:
but a quick head count of the tiny floofs (happily) convinced me otherwise.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Also, the chicks can now jump up onto Yoya

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

spookygonk posted:

What are the brown food things put in with the chicks yesterday? I saw one last night and was worried it was a brown chick that had died :smith:
but a quick head count of the tiny floofs (happily) convinced me otherwise.

It's still chicken, but of the 'cooked' variety. They love to peck the chicken bones from El Pollo Loco.

Don't worry, it's no one they know.

Meanwhile, giant mealworms are on the way via the mail! In a few days we'll have some quality Chicken Football.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's still chicken, but of the 'cooked' variety. They love to peck the chicken bones from El Pollo Loco.

:gonk:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Velvet Sparrow posted:

:stonklol:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Everything loves to eat chicken. Especially other chickens.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The chicks are going bananas for live mealworms right now :keke:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

spookygonk posted:

The chicks are going bananas for live mealworms right now :keke:

I ordered a big muslin sack of giant mealworms from Rainbow Mealworms, it's like crack for chickens. Yoya recognized the Magic Bag right off. :derp:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just checked the cam and they're growing up so fast!

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
Corn is being mobbed, and someone has a poopy butt.

Edit:

It's nap time now.

Vaga42Bond fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 14, 2016

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

That's Marshmallow with a fake poobutt, we checked her and it's just a stain.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

That's Marshmallow with a fake poobutt, we checked her and it's just a stain.

Fake Poopybutt. The newest trend with young chicks?

:henget:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Vaga42Bond posted:

Fake Poopybutt. The newest trend with young chicks?

:henget:

All the cool kids have one.

Gonna get some new chick pics this weekend, the little suckers are pincushions what with new feathers coming in...bound to be tons of aggrieved yelling going on.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam will be down for a bit while I clean the chick box...Yoya and the babies will be out in the small run for a couple of hours.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Looking at the cam now, the chicks are at that gangly stage now.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

spookygonk posted:

Looking at the cam now, the chicks are at that gangly stage now.

And yet they still stand on top of Yoya...Took a while to figure out what I was looking at, thought it was some sort of wrenched chicken neck protruding from her haha

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just looking at the cam this evening and, goodness, they have grown and feathered up so much!

Are they jumping out of the box yet?

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Peeper and Milton are routinely out of the box. Alecto comes out occasionally. The rest don't seem to be overly interested. These are the most unadventurous chicks we've ever had. They're usually storming up and down the hallway as a group by now.

Peepers has taken to following us into the kitchen and will come out and hang by the couch, particularly if someone has a doughnut.

Anyway, the cam will be down for a bit today while we clean the box. The chicks and Yoya will be in the small outdoor run, braving the wind in the meantime.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Welp, just days before everyone was scheduled to go out into the flock, Yoya decided she was DONE and started pecking the chicks non-stop. So she got the boot and is back out with the flock, the babies will join her this Saturday when they go out for good and we end Chickam for this year.

So far we have three roos for sure: Marshmallow, Lenore and Milton (the bantam). These little guys will be rehomed along with any of the others we decide not to keep...for now we'll for sure be keeping Peepers and Bowie, we're undecided on the others.

Marshmallow crowed last night and scared Peepers, who jumped up and ran around, which scared Marshmallow so badly he fell off the edge of the box, landing on his siblings...which scared EVERYONE & caused a total panic.

I damned near laughed myself sick. :derp:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 3, 2016

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Ha, I think Yoya knew and wanted to make sure you knew it was time too.

Pics soon, I hope?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I started with 6 chicks in March, and one started crowing a month ago... so now we have 5 chickens left. They are all the same age, within a week of each other, 3 different breeds. One of them looks like a rooster, it is bigger, has the big comb (compared to its "sibling" which is smaller, and doesn't have a comb), has sleek feathers that shimmer in sunlight, and I'm pretty sure I have even seen it try to mount other chickens, twice.

Yet it hasn't crowed.

At this age, wouldn't it be crowing, if it were a male?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Some roosters are late bloomers. :iiam:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
It seems Yoya was getting restless there that last couple of days. They all look so pretty with their feathers. Thank you for hosting Chickam again this year VS, 12_string and The Kid!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks again for another year of Chickam!
Will you be going back to the Saturday Sched?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Welp, just days before everyone was scheduled to go out into the flock, Yoya decided she was DONE and started pecking the chicks non-stop. So she got the boot and is back out with the flock, the babies will join her this Saturday when they go out for good and we end Chickam for this year.
Yoya done good. She deserves a holiday.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

... for now we'll for sure be keeping Peepers and Bowie, we're undecided on the others.
Yaay, Peepers.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fluff burbs

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Taking pictures today, clipping wings and kicking the peeps out into the cold, hard world of BIG chickens. We'll be taking down the cam after picture time, we'll resume Saturday Chickam broadcasts beginning next weekend, weather permitting (it's been hotter than the four hinges on the gates of Hell here this week, don't want to fry the equipment).

Yoya won't likely take the chicks back under her wing when they go out even if they want to hang with her...but at least she'll be a familiar face. :) We'll put out some corn & watermelon today & tomorrow to distract the adults from proving how tough they are & pecking the babies.

Right now we have three roos to rehome for sure: Marshmallow, Lenore (gave him a break and started calling him Lenny) and Milton (the banty d'Uccle mix). Milton has been nicknamed 'The Squeaking Daisy' due to his high-pitched crow and the way his little cape feathers flare when he flares up at the other boys.

Poor Milton. :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Milton has been nicknamed 'The Squeaking Daisy' due to his high-pitched crow and the way his little cape feathers flare when he flares up at the other boys.

Poor Milton. :keke:
He's going to be the best roo boy.

• Locked thread