Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Anyways, this is being asked on behalf of my mother, who is getting screwed and doesn't know what to do.

See, what happened was she, living in Southern California, got Verizon FiOS for everything. TV, Phone, Internet, everything. Then frontier came in. Since the 8th of this month (April) she has had no access to her DVR, her pay channels (HBO etc) her landline phone has gone out at least twice a week every week... It has just been a shitshow.

She called them and told them to send a technician, and they claimed they would - I was there the day he was supposed to show up, because she doesn't understand tech. I sat there all day, and no one showed up. When we called, they said their technician marked us as having no problems. So we got another appointment, for the next week. This time they didn't show up, and when we called, they said their technician would be delayed until may 4th.

Her bill for April is 220 dollars, 130 of which comes from her two DVR boxes + multi room DVR + pay channels that has not worked a single day since the frontier switchover.

She told them flat out that she is not going to pay for the DVR, and that she is cancelling her service, and the person on the phone said that her contract she signed with Verizon still applies with them, and that there will be a 400 dollar charge if she cancels.

Is she screwed? What the gently caress is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

You're paying for a service that you aren't receiving. I'd suggest reading the contract, but I've argued similar bills in the past and won.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Can you just don't pay and let them take it to court? Or does that not work with the American credit system? I legitimately don't know.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Nah, they'll just sell the debt to a collection agency wholl poo poo all over your credit and generally be miserable at you.

Rattus Maximus
Nov 30, 2003

hssssss
Suffering through something similar on the east coast. Frontier is an absolute nightmare at best. Just watch out for even more than that $400 in 'early termination' fees, they recently got nailed with fines for charging people upwards of $1000 in unmentioned termination fees.

Hyvok
Mar 30, 2010
In a civilized country you would file a reclamation of the service you have not received, then the company would either have to sue you or give you a reclamation. Doesn't make sense if you have to pay for a service you are not receiving...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

You're paying for a service that you aren't receiving. I'd suggest reading the contract, but I've argued similar bills in the past and won.

When I've done customer support in the past I've been on the other end of this and that's typically how it works, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizxz
Aug 4, 2004

I work in the industry in the midwest for a small family owned company, so this may or may not help. I would suggest she start talking to the Public Utilities Commision (http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/) and lodge complaints there. When my boss gets complaints from the similar organization in my state we go out of our way to make it right.

Good luck with a lovely company.

• Locked thread