Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Indian cooking thread, definitely. I don't even think a curry thread makes sense - better just to have a stew thread. "Curry" is perhaps the least helpful culinary word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Indian cooking thread, definitely. I don't even think a curry thread makes sense - better just to have a stew thread. "Curry" is perhaps the least helpful culinary word.
This is a great and generous idea. Non-Indian eaters have some stupid fake image of “curry” that encompasses all Indian food and is vaguely defined as “gross foreign poo poo”.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Yah go and make it. The really spicy food is more an Andhra/Telangana thing, and even they tend to err on the side of painfully spicy for their pickles and leave the rest of the food to be more balanced. The ugly spicy thing is more a British thing, because white dudes like to overdo things to show how “manly” they are. Actual Indians find it unpleasant, because you’ve now lost the rest of the spices that you dropped all this cash on.

Also, considering that there’s everything from Thai to Japanese to English curry, I’d say curry is a totally different mega thread.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
curry means so many things in so many cuisines that it effectively means nothing. they can be dry or wet, served over noodles or rice or with bread, spiced and flavored with many different things, they can even be dramatically different dishes to begin with: compare kare raisu to kua kling, both of which I've seen sold as curries on english menus. you may as well make a sandwich megathread.

indian cuisines are a big enough topic, why add more confusion by bringing "curry" into it?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We're out of coriander powder gently caress

Time to go buy some replacement big bags of spices.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

silvergoose posted:

We're out of coriander powder gently caress

Time to go buy some replacement big bags of spices.
While you're at it, buy a spice grinder and whole coriander seeds. It's night and day!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Uggggh yeah probably. Already have the seeds. I have a blade grinder I've stopped using for coffee, is that good enough, or are there specific recommendations?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I use a coffee grinder for spice grinding, although it's one that was never used for coffee. Dunno if one that was used for coffee before would have any off flavors.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Gravy and curry and used pretty interchangeably in my house now. What is sauce? Just another kind of gravy, apparently.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Uggggh yeah probably. Already have the seeds. I have a blade grinder I've stopped using for coffee, is that good enough, or are there specific recommendations?

That works for me. You can run some rice through the blade grinder to help clean the coffee out of the crevasses.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I use a coffee grinder for spice grinding, although it's one that was never used for coffee. Dunno if one that was used for coffee before would have any off flavors.

Fill it with rice and grind it up. Do this a couple of times and it should remove any traces of coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Okay I stayed up late and made a new thread. No more silly "all Indian food is spicy curry" thread title! So, please go post in that thread instead.