Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

My Instagram is blowin' up 24/7.
So I lost my job in the oil patch, and moved to eastern canada to visit some friends and blow through my savings. For extra beer money, I signed up to partake in a "clinical trial" where they basically dose you with a weird experimental drug, keep you under supervision for a bit and have you report any side effects you experience. Then you go home with anywhere from $750 to $5500 dollars, depending on the length of the trial.

although everyone in this town seems to know about this kind of "work", it was a very novel concept to me as I had never heard of anything like this.

Questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Do you find out at the end if you were given the placebo or the real thing?

Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

nope, not even the nurses know.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
You should be careful, some of those tests have real long term effects that can be life threatening.

Edit : A psychiatrist in my family told me during a conversation.

Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

... but i can buy beer

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A friend of mine is doing a study on the effects of alcohol on health. He's being paid five grand to binge drink for a week straight. Only downside is the constant blood draws, but hey, most people would kill for this kind of job

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich
Interesting.... How close to the YHZ is this?

Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

it's about 1200KM from YHZ. the only place you can do these studies in canada is in montreal or quebec city.

I am super jealous of the binge drinking study. In order to prepare for this study I had to quit smoking and drinking for a month. I know many people only take a few days off from their vice of choice just to pass the intake test however you are usually assessed for your overall health to determine your eligibility so it's probably best to have a bit of clean living behind you when you show up for the screening.

One of my friends did a study with the university of mcgill where she had to go into an enclosed space and smoke a certain number of cigarettes while they did periodic blood draws. then they drew her blood throughout the week while she abstained. They then repeated the study the following week with an e-cigarette.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Odddzy posted:

You should be careful, some of those tests have real long term effects that can be life threatening.

Edit : A psychiatrist in my family told me during a conversation.

Also http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/apr/22/experience-i-ran-medical-trial-that-went-wrong welp

Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

The trials are done quite a bit differently in canada. From the sounds of it, they gave many people the drug in quick succession. In canada if we are testing a new drug, the first trial is done on only one person. they take a very small dose, then a larger one, then a larger, and so on and so fourth until they get to the threshold dose. Then on the second clinical trial, they stagger the doses so one individual receives it on day 1. then the second person on day 2 etc.

It is also very rare to have a "first in humans" test done in canada. Most of the time when we are doing unapproved drugs we are testing drugs that are already approved in other countries, for use in canada or in europe.

There is also a lot of trials for generic versions of drugs. When a company releases a drug, I believe they have 4 years or something where they have exclusive rights to sell the medication. but after 4 years other companies can come on the market and release generic versions. So before they can do that, they have to run clinical trials where you take the regular version of the drug and compare it to a trial where you take the generic. these ones kinda suck because the two trials are split up over the course of a month or so but you still get paid pretty decently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Safety Meetings posted:

There is also a lot of trials for generic versions of drugs. When a company releases a drug, I believe they have 4 years or something where they have exclusive rights to sell the medication. but after 4 years other companies can come on the market and release generic versions. So before they can do that, they have to run clinical trials where you take the regular version of the drug and compare it to a trial where you take the generic. these ones kinda suck because the two trials are split up over the course of a month or so but you still get paid pretty decently.

The period is actually 15 years from patenting the molecule until the patent expires and you are open to generic competition. However, due to the absolute loving ballache that is pharmaceutical research, on average it takes several billion dollars and 11 years to come up with a new drug, which is where the "4 years to make your money back from selling it" comes from. It's also why pharma companies want to speed trials up in any way they can without the regulators bringing the hammer down on them, since they want that window of Drug Approved > Patent Expires to be as big as possible so they can make their money back.

For reference, the studies that we are talking about here are Phase I clinical trials, which are done on healthy subjects to ensure safety of the molecule and find the maximum tolerated dose. It has nothing to do with finding out whether the drug works or not though, that comes in the later phases:

Phase II: Tested on small numbers of the target population to check for safety and effectiveness
Phase III: Tested on large numbers of the target population to check for safety and effectiveness (this is the last hurdle before approval & sale, and the most expensive and largest clinical trials)
Phase IV: Trials held after approval, usually to get your drug approved for another set of patients or diseases (say a pancreatic cancer drug getting approved for treating liver cancer drug, or a drug getting tested on children when it is already approved for adults)

Pharma research is a huge minefield, so a lot of drugs will fail at some hurdle or another, resulting in about 1 in 100 drugs that make it to Phase I making it to approval by failing at some point between Phase I and III. A whole lot of companies go under for each one that makes a ton of money in this field.

• Locked thread