Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Problem description: The dreaded 'disk read error.' Some looking into things suggests that there's a ton of bad sectors that need fixing, but judging by the amount of progress the Recover Bad Sectors Tool has made (no movement from 0% after being let run overnight, though the sectors tested has moved) it's going to take forever to fix. Do I just have to grin and bear it, or is there a better way?

Attempted fixes: Hit F10, went into diagnostics, hit Recover Bad Sectors Tool. Sprinkled goat's blood over laptop, burned Steve Jobs in effigy.

Recent changes: Just regular old college student stuff. Word processing, email, research, and some light video gaming. Can't think of anything that would break the camel's back.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Pro.

System specs: Lenovo Thinkpad t450. This model, actually. http://smile.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T450-Business-Ultrabook/dp/B015FJCXJG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced, there is nothing else you can do. This "repair" is only hiding the symptoms of the failure temporarily.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cocks. Thanks, bud.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
No way to save any of the files on the bad drive?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Connect the failed drive via a USB adapter after you're up and running on the new drive, but it sounds like the drive is very far gone.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Okay. Thanks again, bud. Any recommendations for a new hard drive? I've only ever bought one to get more storage on my ps4. :negative:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I'd recommend a Samsung 850 Evo SSD in whatever size you want. Samsung SSDs are fast and extremely reliable. At this point I would not recommend an old-style harddrive unless you need lots of storage cheaply and don't care about speed.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cool. Thanks again. I'd be still having the bad sectors fix working without you. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One last thing. Got an 850 coming in the mail like you said. But how difficult is it to remove and replace a harddrive? Don't want to accidentally cause more problems. :v:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Here's instructions on the Lenovo support site, you can also Google for videos or other guides.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Okay. One last thing. Replacing this harddrive -- I won't lose my OS, right? Won't have to find another copy of Windows7?

gently caress me these screws are hard to remove

Bogart fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 7, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
oh i guess i do need another copy of windows

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You can download Windows 10 easily enough, and your license key for Windows 7 will work to activate it.

You can also download the Windows 7 OEM installer, but it will require finding the appropriate version since Microsoft killed the official US downloads for it. I'll see if I can find it again in a second - had to do it myself last year.

Edit: This article has a link to the site that mirrored the Windows 7 ISOs http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

The Microsoft Product Recovery website didn't accept OEM license keys, at least not the last time I checked it, which is why the mirrored site is necessary.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 7, 2016

• Locked thread