Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Problem description: a tiny stream of beer snaked its way into my case while I was taking a piss and left a bit of residue on the motherboard. It crashed & l died immediately and I tried to turn it back on once before I realized that my day was about to get kinda lovely

Attempted fixes: I turned it off and disassembled it immediately, it's basically one droplet that touched a Tony portion of the top part of my motherboard

Recent changes: recently added some lager to the board

--

Operating system: windows 7 64 bit

System specs: asrock z87 pro 3

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yea

So I'm basically looking for advice. Do I wash this off with isopropyl alcohol? Wet it with distilled water and blow dry it? It didn't make it to any critical components so I'm hoping my cpu chip, gpu, etc. Are fine.

Seizon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You'll have to use distilled water to try to clean it, sugars and the other beer residues wouldn't dissolve in rubbing alcohol. Let it fully dry well beyond the point where you think it's done and try booting it again.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Alereon posted:

You'll have to use distilled water to try to clean it, sugars and the other beer residues wouldn't dissolve in rubbing alcohol. Let it fully dry well beyond the point where you think it's done and try booting it again.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Phone double posted haha

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

It looks like the motherboard is fried. I tested the psu and it appears to be running fine, at least. Is my best course of action to buy the same model and hook up the rest of my parts to it? I'm hoping everything else survived whatever surge occurred. Is the outlook similarly grim for anything attached to the mobo?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Seizon posted:

Is my best course of action to buy the same model and hook up the rest of my parts to it? I'm hoping everything else survived whatever surge occurred. Is the outlook similarly grim for anything attached to the mobo?

Yea, that way you wouldn't have to worry about driver incompatibilities between the OS and a different motherboard. I would bet other things would still be working as long as they didn't get wet.

No way to be 100% sure without testing though.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Alright, so I got a new motherboard of the same model and hooked everything up. I had to reinstall the USB controller, but other than that everything appeared normal until I suddenly hit a BSOD. I went into safe mode to look for the problem and BSODed again, but there was probably about an hour and a half of uptime between them. Could I be looking at a loose connection? Additionally, I'm only using like 4 standoffs, because a few came out still attached to their screw with the old motherboard and separating them seemed arduous. Thanks for all the help so far! Hopefully this is my last hurdle.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Seizon posted:

Alright, so I got a new motherboard of the same model and hooked everything up. I had to reinstall the USB controller, but other than that everything appeared normal until I suddenly hit a BSOD. I went into safe mode to look for the problem and BSODed again, but there was probably about an hour and a half of uptime between them. Could I be looking at a loose connection? Additionally, I'm only using like 4 standoffs, because a few came out still attached to their screw with the old motherboard and separating them seemed arduous. Thanks for all the help so far! Hopefully this is my last hurdle.

Did you clean the CPU/heatsink and use new thermal paste when attaching the CPU to the new motherboard?

What did the BSOD say?

As far as the standoffs you don't need to attach a motherboard fully but it's important to make sure that the motherboard isn't touching the case at all directly.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Zogo posted:

Did you clean the CPU/heatsink and use new thermal paste when attaching the CPU to the new motherboard?

What did the BSOD say?

As far as the standoffs you don't need to attach a motherboard fully but it's important to make sure that the motherboard isn't touching the case at all directly.

I actually forgot to reapply any thermal paste, thanks for the reminder! I'll try that first.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
My concern is that the MOBO must be identical down to the part number. So if you have a Revision A MOBO and bought a Revision C, you may have a driver problem. Also consider booting to a live OS to verify the hardware works.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

My concern is that the MOBO must be identical down to the part number. So if you have a Revision A MOBO and bought a Revision C, you may have a driver problem. Also consider booting to a live OS to verify the hardware works.

Yeah, this might be part of the problem. I booted it after applying new thermal paste and got a new Bsod. Reviewing the error log more closely, I think it's a driver issue.
Here are the codes:
0x0000007E
iusb3hxc.sys
Not sure how to proceed from here, could it be the controller I downloaded earlier? It was on the asrock z87 pro 3 page but I suppose there's still be some weirdness lurking around.

Update: Ran SFC in safe mode and repaired some corrupted files. I think the usb3hxc is the intel eXtensible controller, so I suppose I should install the latest version of that?
2:
Got the log, looks like it was some old windows defender stuff? I was wondering why that wasn't working before the crash..
2016-05-26 19:08:48, Info CSI 0000022c [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:86{43}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\en-US"\[l:30{15}]"MpEvMsg.dll.mui" from store
2016-05-26 19:08:48, Info CSI 0000022d [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:86{43}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\en-US"\[l:30{15}]"MsMpRes.dll.mui" from store
2016-05-26 19:08:48, Info CSI 0000022e [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:86{43}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\en-US"\[l:32{16}]"MpAsDesc.dll.mui" from store
2016-05-26 19:12:45, Info CSI 0000037a [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:86{43}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\en-US"\[l:30{15}]"MpEvMsg.dll.mui" from store
2016-05-26 19:12:45, Info CSI 0000037b [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:86{43}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\en-US"\[l:30{15}]"MsMpRes.dll.mui" from store
2016-05-26 19:12:45, Info CSI 0000037c [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:86{43}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\en-US"\[l:32{16}]"MpAsDesc.dll.mui" from store

Seizon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 27, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try using the drivers that came on the DVD/CD as a start.

Also, I'd check CPU temperature using http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Zogo posted:

You could try using the drivers that came on the DVD/CD as a start.

Also, I'd check CPU temperature using http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

The motherboard came in used from an amazon vendor, so I don't have the disk, unfortunately.
All of my cores are sitting at 35~ C, GPU at 40C. Can I assume that I'm no longer dealing with hardware errors? I could try putting everything back together again, but I don't want to tamper with it too much & fry something else by mistake.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Seizon posted:

The motherboard came in used from an amazon vendor, so I don't have the disk, unfortunately.
All of my cores are sitting at 35~ C, GPU at 40C. Can I assume that I'm no longer dealing with hardware errors? I could try putting everything back together again, but I don't want to tamper with it too much & fry something else by mistake.

Hard to be positive on that as it could be OS and hardware issue or just an OS or hardware issue.

If I was in your position I'd do a reinstall of Windows 7. That would at least eliminate some of the possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Zogo posted:

Hard to be positive on that as it could be OS and hardware issue or just an OS or hardware issue.

If I was in your position I'd do a reinstall of Windows 7. That would at least eliminate some of the possibilities.
I have actually been able to get a stable boot going by uninstalling some related drivers and reinstalling them in safe mode! Thanks for all the help you guys have offered so far, I'll leave this open because I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods yet, but now that I have a stable environment it'll be easier to figure out the next steps on my own.

• Locked thread