Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Problem description: About 2-3 weeks ago I started noticing issues with my PC. Firefox randomly crashing on a frequent basis, World of Warcraft randomly dying, etc. I then started getting BSODs, particularly when I'd have a lot of things going at once.

Attempted fixes: SMART didn't show any issues with my SSD, and virus/malware scans came up empty. However, running memtest86 immediately threw out a crapton of errors.

I swapped out the the two sticks of ram with a single stick I had laying around, and while it passed the first run of memtest86 a single error came up on the second run (at which point I exited the test).

So my questions are:

1) How can I know for sure whether the problem is the RAM or the DIMM, when I'm not sure of any of the 3 sticks of RAM I own? My motherboard is an Asus Z87-A which recommends putting single sticks of ram only into DIMM A2, and I seem to recall it won't boot at all if I put it in another slot.

2) Are there other things I should be checking? I've been working on this for the last couple hours, but it's 3am now and I'm not sure I've thought to check everything that I should.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug
You could try your initial two sticks of ram individually with memtest. Not conclusive, but if both have problems it may be your DIMM slot.

• Locked thread